Wiki Posts
Search

Back to back at AMS

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 6:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Virazuno
I have been refused, and insisted upon that bags got sent to AMS on my positioning flight (which was a B2B).

Caused a whole host of issues. Ultimately got my bags 3 days later, on the other side of the World.

Have a backup plan in place, and ALWAYS check the tags before your bags disappear down the belt!
Surely the thing to do in such circumstance is not to check the bags in at all and leave them at left luggage at T5 until your return?
LondonAndy likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 7:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Surely the thing to do in such circumstance is not to check the bags in at all and leave them at left luggage at T5 until your return?
I rarely check a bag, but have done so on at least one exEU trip per year for the last few years. Never had an issue. But if I did have an issue I would just leave it at left luggage (ground floor landside opposite Giraffe) rather than being forced to check it - that should be the back up plan.
patsharp likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
Unless you are on the 1st flight of the day into AMS & it's return in which case it's quite short!
I have this coming up. Does the 767 park closer to the lounge? Is a B2B still ok?
Old May 6, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by jlsw7
I have this coming up. Does the 767 park closer to the lounge? Is a B2B still ok?
a bit closer but it still a fair walk. Usually goes to gate D8 or around there. The A320s tend to go around gate D24.

b2b is still fine, walk off, wait, walk back on. On my b2b at AMS I usually just wait at the gate.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA

a bit closer but it still a fair walk. Usually goes to gate D8 or around there. The A320s tend to go around gate D24.

b2b is still fine, walk off, wait, walk back on. On my b2b at AMS I usually just wait at the gate.
I agree. By the time one walks to the lounge, it would be time to head straight back again, if not earlier. I personally prefer the priority pass lounge next door if one ever finds themselves there choosing between them.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KARFA
On my b2b at AMS I usually just wait at the gate.
As do I. I really can't be bothered with a lounge for what would be 5-10 minutes at most. After all, I'm sometimes back on the aircraft again about 15 minutes after I've stepped off it.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by wiluk
I agree. By the time one walks to the lounge, it would be time to head straight back again, if not earlier. I personally prefer the priority pass lounge next door if one ever finds themselves there choosing between them.
Really? I find it overcrowded, noisy, plus they often won't let you in in the mornings it gets so busy.

At the same time the BA lounge is very quiet.

I transit through AMS on my way to work & unfortunately on the way out whilst I do BA LHR-AMS, I'm reliant on my PP once I arrive as I'm Air Astana from there. On the way back I can at least use the BA lounge!
Old May 7, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes....except the (very grumpy) agent, without saying a word, tagged them to AMS, sent them down the belt, and then gave me the receipts with "AMS" written on them. This was after I was asked where I was flying to, and very explicitly said I wanted them tagged for the ex-LHR flight I was taking in the evening.

I didn't even mention my positioning flight. I think a recent update to FLY now shows all flights for a certain day, irrespective of the PNR/details you give the agent, which confused matters.

Lesson learnt for next time. Which is why I mentioned always check the tags before the bags disappear!
Old May 7, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Virazuno
Yes....except the (very grumpy) agent, without saying a word, tagged them to AMS, sent them down the belt, and then gave me the receipts with "AMS" written on them. This was after I was asked where I was flying to, and very explicitly said I wanted them tagged for the ex-LHR flight I was taking in the evening.

I didn't even mention my positioning flight. I think a recent update to FLY now shows all flights for a certain day, irrespective of the PNR/details you give the agent, which confused matters.

Lesson learnt for next time. Which is why I mentioned always check the tags before the bags disappear!
FLY does show all flights. However, I haven't had an issue getting the agent to understand what to do, and the agent usually re-confirms before sending the bags off. Sounds like you had a very unfortunate and unusual experience.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Update:

Just go to bag drop, scan the BKK boarding pass and neither of the AMS ones. Out pops the bag tag with BKK on it....

Super simple. Cheers all, safe travels.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Worse update:
its delayed 2 hours due to AMS weather. Now a bit concerned that I will miss the AMS-LHR

fingers firmly crossed
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by patsharp
Worse update:
its delayed 2 hours due to AMS weather. Now a bit concerned that I will miss the AMS-LHR

fingers firmly crossed
As long as BA is using the same plane on the return from AMS to LHR, there are no issues. Not sure how this would affect the segment to BKK.

​​​​​​
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:50 am

Update:

Just go to bag drop, scan the BKK boarding pass and neither of the AMS ones. Out pops the bag tag with BKK on it....

Super simple. Cheers all, safe travels.
Thanks, this is good to know. There was always a query on how the self-service bag drop machines would cope with doing that.

Worse update:

fingers firmly crossed
If you are on a b2b then it would be pretty much impossible for you to miss the return regardless of the length of delay of your LHR-AMS.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Yes, landed a few hours late but it’s the same aircraft so all is ok. Still start to wonder when you’re still sat in London. There’s a palpable sense of relief once you deplane and realise you’re already at your gate.

For clarity re the self service machines, I had already checked in but selected “not sure” for baggage. Whether this makes a difference or not, I don’t know but it worked for me
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Yes, landed a few hours late but it’s the same aircraft so all is ok. Still start to wonder when you’re still sat in London. There’s a palpable sense of relief once you deplane and realise you’re already at your gate.
With a bit of experience, you'll stop wondering whether you're going to miss the AMS-LHR if you're already sitting on the aircraft operating LHR-AMS. That's the whole point of a back-to-back. There's plenty of other stuff that can go wrong on an ex-EU, and sitting on the LHR-AMS doesn't guarantee that none of the rest will go wrong, but that's part of the game you play with ex-EUs. They are inevitably riskier, which is why they aren't for everyone, and they aren't for every trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.