Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA unable to give me a receipt for a flight I purchased directly from them

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

I bought a normal ticket over the phone (UK Gold line) from BA and have already taken the outbound leg. I've been asking for the receipt for a weeks now and they are having what appears to be an internal IT issue. Most recently I engaged the Twitter team who says they have raised a ticket with their IT dept. But I don't have a lot of confidence that it will be taken care of quickly. I actually think this issue has been going on for a long time now as I haven't gotten any email from BA other than marketing mail. No BAEC updates, no receipts from a ticket back in January, etc. And yes I checked my spam filter and got them to send it to a different account, but that isn't working. Somehow in BA's IT there is a block tied to my account it seems. I also checked my BAEC profile to make sure that I am opted in to receive all mail.

I asked the Twitter team to send it by Whatsapp, or Skype, etc., but they are unable to do that. I asked at an outstation, but they say they cannot help as they don't have access to UK tickets. I expect that BA is legally required to issue a receipt for a ticket purchased from them, but I am at a loss for what to do. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm about at the point of asking them to send a fax, if they can do that.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Did you try the automated service: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...tomer_receipt?
Old May 3, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, no one at BA mentioned this, but I just submitted the information. However the reply was that it can take up to 28 days! And I think it will have the same problem in that BA's IT cannot send me mail.

Any other ideas?
Old May 3, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Silver
Have you tried asking at the ticket desks in LHR or LGW? I think they used to be able to print receipts on boarding-card stationery. Not sure if they still can.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Any other ideas?
Depending on why you need the receipt you could retrieve it from classic CMT or another Oneworld airline (e.g. Finnair, Qatar, etc.)
Old May 3, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fruitcage
Have you tried asking at the ticket desks in LHR or LGW? I think they used to be able to print receipts on boarding-card stationery. Not sure if they still can.
I'm in Africa. I had originally flown to NBO and the BA office in Nairobi cannot help. I won't be back at LHR for a good while.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:42 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I expect that BA is legally required to issue a receipt for a ticket purchased from them, but I am at a loss for what to do. Does anyone have any ideas?
I'm not sure that BA is actually legally obliged to provide a receipt since air travel does not attract VAT. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that point.

Since you have only taken the outbound leg, can you not just access MMB and select the "Print/email e-ticket receipt" option? Or is that not an option for phone bookings?
CloudGazer likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Thanks, no one at BA mentioned this, but I just submitted the information. However the reply was that it can take up to 28 days! And I think it will have the same problem in that BA's IT cannot send me mail.

Any other ideas?
IME its usually very quick. 1-2 days IIRC.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by gms
I'm not sure that BA is actually legally obliged to provide a receipt since air travel does not attract VAT. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that point.

Air Travel does attract VAT but it's zero rated.

They'd be legally obliged to give an invoice (not receipt which is just a record of payment) to another VAT registered business.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Just edit a previous e ticket receipt and change your ticket number/ date and price. Job done.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheshirepete
Just edit a previous e ticket receipt and change your ticket number/ date and price. Job done.
Very good. The only workable idea so far. I'll try it if I don't get anything from BA by Monday.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms
Since you have only taken the outbound leg, can you not just access MMB and select the "Print/email e-ticket receipt" option? Or is that not an option for phone bookings?
No, it doesn't appear to be an option for phone bookings.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by cheshirepete
Not great advice depending on what the OP intends to do with it. Better to retrieve the receipt via QR, AY or another OW airline. If all that fails, then classic checkmytrip is you friend.
@stimpy: Have you tried printing the receipt via QR/AY?
Old May 3, 2018, 12:37 pm

No, it doesn't appear to be an option for phone bookings.
The fact that its made over the phone wont affect this, if its a booking that is part flown or flown does. If a booking is part flown or flown you lose functionality in mmb and contact centre lose ability to resend receipt, only option is to do request ba.com/receipt. However last i checked while it can take upto 28 days the actual turnaround time was only a couple of days.
Old May 3, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Not great advice depending on what the OP intends to do with it. Better to retrieve the receipt via QR, AY or another OW airline. If all that fails, then classic checkmytrip is you friend.
@stimpy: Have you tried printing the receipt via QR/AY?
i know quite a lot about regulations regarding expenses. HMRC need proof you made a journey as part of business expense. One of the obvious proofs is an Invoice or receipt, Failing that evidence of expenditure via a credit card statement is valid as ‘proof’ of expenditure. I often have to export my Oyster TFL contactless travel as an AMEX export of the transaction. They are all valid ‘proofs’ of an expense. There’s a misconception you need a receipt or invoice. It is the ideal solution by its not a requirement for an expense, just proof is sufficient under the wording of current legislation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.