Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying on Christmas Day

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Karen762
We're flying on Christmas Day - BA15 to Sydney in J - and wondered if anything different happens both in the air and at the airport so we can plan the rest of the day. The flight departs at 21.45.

Will the lounges be open?
Will the shops be open?
Will one of the on board meal choices be a traditional Xmas dinner?
Anything else different to a normal flight?
Does this flight ever get cancelled? (We booked a BA flight to Vancouver on Xmas Day a few years back and it was cancelled due to low passenger numbers so we were moved to the Xmas Eve flight). It's an Avios 2-4-1 booking so if it were cancelled would we get J seats on the new flight?

Hoping that a friend will take us to the airport so trying to work out best time to go - don't want to get there nice and early and find everything is shut. Also don't want to eat a big Xmas lunch in the afternoon then find the onboard catering serves something similar.
I can't believe you're asking this in APRIL!!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by babats
Why not? Some people (including me) like to plan and be on top of things early on, and planning for travelling is always interesting.
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Haha must admit if I worked for an airline then I'd work every Xmas Day!

Will have a think about gifts - could be amusing
We few to LAS on Boxing Day in 2016. Coupled with it being during the Mixed Fleet strikes period (they didn't on this date in the end), the crew were very appreciative of the (relatively) expensive chocolates we got and consequently the LPGS didn't stop flowing.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: Some...
Anything else different to a normal flight?
A bumpy flight...

to avoid Santa and his reindeers
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
When you land in Sydney the trains are usually running (albeit to a Saturday timetable but that's fine from the airport) but almost every shop will be closed. Obviously don't know your plans but it's much more of a shutdown than "back home" in the UK. Also expect public holiday surcharges everywhere from taxis to hotels (for hotel read pub).
If the flight leaves London on Christmas Day evening..it should arrive early on December 27th in Sydney. Isn't that a normal work day in Australia as well?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by babats
Half the fun is in the planning! It's a 7 week trip to Australia and New Zealand so there's LOTS of planning!

When you book the flights at T-355 you have 355 days of planning and questions - only 243 days left to go so I'm sure there will be more questions along soon
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
If the flight leaves London on Christmas Day evening..it should arrive early on December 27th in Sydney. Isn't that a normal work day in Australia as well?
That was my next question - yes we land on 27 so am hoping that its a normal day by then. However we should have a relation to pick us up and take us to our accommodation fingers crossed!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Duh! Of course. Silly me.

And yes everything will be open.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA VS
I have often chosen to fly on Xmas day and through New Year's day. Even if the flights are busy, due reduced frequency, the airports are a delight. Never had a canx
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Flown Christmas Day a few times. Noticed no difference on the flight. Just car traffic to and from airports much better and the airports much quieter
JamesBigglesworth likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: RFC
Will have a think about gifts - could be amusing
Please don't do gifts for crew. I've only ever seen Americans do it. It's tacky and creepy. Don't be one of those people.
kingstontoon and Annalisa12 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
And yes everything will be open.
The week between xmas and new year? *Most* things will be open, but not all. It can be quite odd/random what closes and what doesn't.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
The week between xmas and new year? *Most* things will be open, but not all. It can be quite odd/random what closes and what doesn't.
Much like the UK where 1/2 the population are on a months holiday yet it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to most businesses

Going slightly off topic, Boston was mostly shut on Xmas Day. Chinese and Jewish eateries opened at lunchtime and prior to that, the odd coffee shop and convenience store.
Few places open at the railway station but a lot shut.
Buses and the Metro were running to whatever timetable even in the snow. Didn't have too much of a wait on some lines but more on others.

Whilst spending Xmas in Cairns, some of the eateries were open near the ocean but that seemed to be it. Lots of families etc. having barbeques etc.

Suppose there's variations everywhere depending on who celebrates what.
As said above, Chinese restaurants opened on Xmas Day but might be shut for days around their New Year.

Airport wise, it's just a case of making sure public transport is running, should it be required. Most things will be still open and whilst it might be quieter than an average day, it's surprising how many people are travelling.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Please don't do gifts for crew. I've only ever seen Americans do it. It's tacky and creepy. Don't be one of those people.
other opinions exist
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
As others have said, it's very similar. IIRC correctly I've flown on the 25/12 six times.

Christmas themed food and staff usually a bit more jolly. The only major difference was on a Vegas flight in Y on Christmas, there was more passengers in J than in Y and the crew were looking forward to letting there hair down. drink never stopped and they spent most of the flight sat talking to the Y passengers once services were done.

The best part is traffic driving to the airport in the morning and from mid afternoon (I find that on the midday its quite busy as people drive to others) LHR quieter but less business travellers so different dynamic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.