Wiki Posts
Search

QR flight number prevents upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
QR flight number prevents upgrade

I've just booked myself a trip LHR/DPS via DOH. The ticket is now not changeable without quite a cost. I am in business class throughout, but opted for my final segment (DOH/LHR) to be on BA - not because I think the business class service on BA will remotely compare to QR.... but because I saw an Avios upgrade into First.

So I make the booking, and then call the Gold Line - and am told bluntly that I cannot have the upgrade, despite being a BA Gold member flying on BA metal, because the ticket number and flight number are QR.

Is there anything I can do about this? I can hardly give expression to how ****** off I am! I would happily buy an upgrade at the airport if still available - but presumably that would require me to clear customs and immigration to get to the BA ticket desk at DOH...?

Any advice most welcome.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
In order to do a UuA you need to be on a BA issued ticket - i.e. one starting 125-..., and you need to be on a BA flight number. As you are booked under the QR codeshare you can't UuA. In terms of getting an upgrade the only thing may be to hope for a cash airport upgrade to be available.

I must admit I am not clear if you booked with BA or QR? However, BA have a 24 hour cooling off period so if you did book with them you can cancel for a full refund. I am not sure if QR offer something similar if you booked with them.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just to add some more detail, here is the section from the TP thread on UuAs:

Upgrading Using Avios (UuA) & Gold Upgrade Vouchers (GUF)
A quick note on doing UuAs is that you can do these for exEU itineraries (or you can apply a GUF if you have any). The following restrictions for UuAs apply though:

Summary guide to bookings which can be upgraded with Avios:
  • BA issued tickets (can include other carriers) ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with only BA flights ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with other carriers
  • Tickets issued on non-BA stock
The rules have previously said that the TA has to issue the ticket in the country of your BAEC membership as well. However, apparently this is not enforced consistently so hopefully this shouldn't be an issue. See these two posts for more information on that point https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29280847-post33.html & https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29282377-post38.html

A BA Holiday booking (flights & hotel) is UuA'able and treated as a TA booking, so a booking including non BA flights could not be UuA'ed. Also a BA Holiday booking which was made using a TA can not be UuA'ed.

Note that even if booked direct with BA on a 125-... ticket you can't UuA BA marketed and AA operated flight. The BA flight must be both BA marketed and operated.

There is more information on UuA'ing TA bookings here.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

I booked with QR - hence being on the QR number/ticket. It was very much more expensive to have a 125- ticket. And, having gone back to check the flights, it is, in fact, the only flight I can take within time limits that I have to observe. But it is very frustrating.

Can one do cash upgrades in transit at airports without going landside?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DominicB
I booked with QR - hence being on the QR number/ticket. It was very much more expensive to have a 125- ticket. And, having gone back to check the flights, it is, in fact, the only flight I can take within time limits that I have to observe. But it is very frustrating.

Can one do cash upgrades in transit at airports without going landside?
At some places yes, but Doha I don't think is one of them, it's a relatively small station and doesn't have (e.g.) a BA operated lounge airside. The issue of UuA only applying to 125 tickets is frequently raised here, so you're certainly not the first to be caught by this. I'm trying not to make this sound condescending, but it may be worth you perusing the sticky at the top of the forum on how to spend your Avios, section 7, where the various constraints are listed out. You can't get a POUG on that ticket either but you can have an AUP, but I can't see it worth the hassle of going landside to get it.

On the other hand BA will cancel that service pretty readily so there is a chance you will end up on a QR service anyway. If you were in BA First on Avios then you'd probably end up in QR business class (and the excess Avios refunded).
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Ah well - I'm an older fool, and thanks to the advice above, a wiser one. At least it is a daytime flight, although I'm not sure my body will know the difference, the amount I'm flying that week! Thank you, all.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:15 pm

Are BA actually flying to Doha these days? I thought they had pretty much thrown in the towel.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Are BA actually flying to Doha these days? I thought they had pretty much thrown in the towel.
As per c-w-s post above : sometimes they do fly there ...... and other times they can’t bothered !
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
On the pro side: After the trip you can come back here with a little trip report comparing QR J with BA J. We haven't had one of those in a while.
florens, WorldLux, PETER01 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:07 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Going landside at DOH is not difficult at all (unless you have a passport from a 3rd-world country). Visa fees were removed many months ago and there is a dedicated immigration area for J/F passengers.

I would say that in J/F, going in and out of Qatar will take a maximum of 15 minutes longer than transiting airside even if you get to skip airside transfer security, unless you get lost (DOH is a big airport)
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
Going landside at DOH is not difficult at all (unless you have a passport from a 3rd-world country). Visa fees were removed many months ago and there is a dedicated immigration area for J/F passengers.

I would say that in J/F, going in and out of Qatar will take a maximum of 15 minutes longer than transiting airside even if you get to skip airside transfer security, unless you get lost (DOH is a big airport)
I've only entered Qatar once, around a year ago and, even though there were no obviously long queues, it took around 45 minutes to get from gate to shuttle bus - I'm sure it can be done in much less time, but that was not my experience.

As there's a reasonable chance of the BA flight being subbed for QR metal, UUA might not have made any sense, anyway.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by :D!
...there is a dedicated immigration area for J/F passengers.
On my last three trips to DOH this dedicated (and largely deserted) area took much ,longer than just going through the normal channel!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
On my last three trips to DOH this dedicated (and largely deserted) area took much ,longer than just going through the normal channel!
Why is that?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:12 am

There are often just one or two desks open.

BA are about to have to significantly juggle their LH fleet around so I wouldn't be surprised if the DOH-LHR route is routinely disrupted.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by LCY8737
On the pro side: After the trip you can come back here with a little trip report comparing QR J with BA J. We haven't had one of those in a while.
The OP’s already made his mind up about that before they’ve even flown (post 1, paragraph 1).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.