Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG acquires 4.61% stake in Norwegian

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
In early trading on Tuesday, the company's shares plunged by 16%
Not a huge vote of confidence, but could be in expectation of a large discount on the rights issue.

IAG must be nursing a painful loss on their shares.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by JimEddie
You can imagine that if/when Norwegian at some point collapse under the weight of its debt together with the complex lease/financing structure in place, IAG will be there ready to hoover up the left-overs.
That didn't work so well with Niki.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Raising 3 billion Kr, seems fairly small compared to the 2018 expected operating loss of 3.8 to which interest expenses to the tune of 1 billion will be added. It is a very short term expedient.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
That didn't work so well with Niki.
I'd say the difference would be the fleet (and future orders) that Norwegian has for the 787 and the LGW slots which I would expect to be highly valuable to IAG
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
They're hoping to do so. Note that no bank is underwriting the issue, so it's looking a lot like a last-ditch effort by Kjos, the Norwegian Chairman, and some private equity - a Norwegian billionaire in tax exile. Those three could be left putting in a lot of the money.
I get that things can always change. But isn't the point of underwriting that those individuals buy the shares not picked up in the offer, so they will raise some cash, assuming there is a price range on the offer, albeit possibly only from those 3 people. Regardless it's less than they lost operationally this year, so Norwegian is still deep in the ....
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by flatlander
Note that no bank is underwriting the issue, so it's looking a lot like a last-ditch effort by Kjos, the Norwegian Chairman, and some private equity - a Norwegian billionaire in tax exile.
Is that a fair description? I see that the press release says:-
The remaining NOK 2,390 million of the rights issue is underwritten by DNB Markets, a part of DNB Bank ASA (“DNB Markets”), Sterna Finance Ltd., a company indirectly controlled by trusts established by Mr. John Fredriksen for the benefit of his immediate family, and Danske Bank, Norwegian Branch (“Danske Bank”).
Even if DNB Markets doesn't count as a "bank", wouldn't Danske count?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
I suspect someone has tried to start a bidding war hence the share dump.

Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is that a fair description? I see that the press release says:- .... Even if DNB Markets doesn't count as a "bank", wouldn't Danske count?
It would count as a bank. The BBC wasn't reporting that - only the individuals involved. Thanks for the correction.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I’m so glad I’m no longer a customer of DnB..,
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC
See that Kjos has stepped down https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48947853

BBC speculating that his succesor may be more willing to make a deal....
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus
Norwegan puts Gatwick slots on offer

The Times has a report to day indicating that Norwegan was attempting to sell off its slots at LGW , sems like it is trying to extend the maturity dates on two bonds , by offering as security a vehicle that will hold the landing slots at Gatwick. " Which has an independent value ...in exess of the current nominal bond value " , the report goes on to state " " Norwegan is blaiming its latest problems on a 140 million working capital crunch because of the Boeing issue as well as a £360 million hold -up from fare payments held with credit card companies"

Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by 47Aitken
The Times has a report to day indicating that Norwegan was attempting to sell off its slots at LGW , sems like it is trying to extend the maturity dates on two bonds , by offering as security a vehicle that will hold the landing slots at Gatwick. " Which has an independent value ...in exess of the current nominal bond value " , the report goes on to state " " Norwegan is blaiming its latest problems on a 140 million working capital crunch because of the Boeing issue as well as a £360 million hold -up from fare payments held with credit card companies"
They are not selling the slots. They are being ringfenced into a separate legal entity which can be used as security for a loan.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You know that bit at the end of Monopoly where you're being hammered by someone who got hotels on Mayfair and the Old Kent Road and you have to turn your colour group cards over and mortgage them for half their book value because you're otherwise completely out of the game?

That's where Norwegian are.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:57 am

Norwegian have the bad luck to have a number of grounded B737max and some B787 without engines all at the same time. very difficult times for them.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by rapidex
Norwegian have the bad luck to have a number of grounded B737max and some B787 without engines all at the same time. very difficult times for them.
airberlin - the airline bankrupted by their home airport screwing up

Norwegian - the airline bankrupted by their aircraft supplier screwing up ......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.