Wiki Posts
Search

IAG acquires 4.61% stake in Norwegian

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
Not sure how Norwegian crew would have any inside information as to what IAG is planning to do in terms of investments.
Perhaps they took 2 and 2 and made 4 and a bit?

Staff told at a meeting to expect an announcement shortly about the future of the company

Staff aware of the financial problems of the company

Perhaps some staff saw people they know work for IAG at company HQ and then told their friends and so on

Staff know that IAG previously made a bid

So ....
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Well today’s announcement was... a deal has been reached with Rolls-Royce which will ‘support’ Norwegian financially in 201o. https://www.bmmagazine.co.uk/news/no...s-royce-costs/

GUuess that makes take-over slightly less likely in the immediate term, but it’s still on the cards
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:33 pm

It doesn't sound too good - passenger numbers below target and load levels down.

Hopefully the settlement with RR will stabilise things as a takeover wouldn't be good for competition and a failure would be a disaster for all those with bookings.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:15 am

They have worst customer service than Ryanair and that is actually saying something-

saying that i have 2 flights booked with them in the the next 2 months.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:23 am

(Not long haul. I would never ever book long haul with them)
RoyalSwazi and MeltingAlf like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
(Not long haul. I would never ever book long haul with them)
Living in BOS I know a number of people who have flown LGW-BOS with them and have nothing but good things to say about the service
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
They have worst customer service than Ryanair and that is actually saying something-

saying that i have 2 flights booked with them in the the next 2 months.
I wonder what it is like trying to claim EU261 from them?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

Living in BOS I know a number of people who have flown LGW-BOS with them and have nothing but good things to say about the service
My friend runs a festival in Holland and i witnessed first hand what happens when you rely on them long haul when he spent 2 days trying to bring bands over from NYC at great costs because the next available flights they gave them was ones that arrived after the festival had ended. At that point, i decided that it would be foolish for me to take their long haul although i do have a few american friends who have used it and said it was incredible.

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Apparently its quite hard if you look at the twitter replies to them and they try and claim extraordinary circumstances for everything, I am helping one band to try and get their flight compensation back but i told him not to hold his breath.
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
my old housemate had real trouble with them rejecting everything, they only paid up when they got their letter from MCOL
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Problem with them is that they’re not IATA members and they have no interline agreements. If excrements hits the fan, their definition of next available flight is next intra-company flight. I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole for long haul, but for short haul they’re ok. Above Ryanair, below any IATA carrier.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Courtesy of BBC Business News

BA-owner drops Norwegian overtures

British Airways' owner IAG won't be buying low-cost rival Norwegian Air Shuttle and will flog its 3.9% stake in the company.

The move sent Norwegian's shares down 20%.

Norweigian is known for its low cost long-haul flights, including London to New York and Buenos Aires.

But it has recently started paring back some routes, including a flight from Belfast to New York.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by happeemonkee
Courtesy of BBC Business News

BA-owner drops Norwegian overtures

British Airways' owner IAG won't be buying low-cost rival Norwegian Air Shuttle and will flog its 3.9% stake in the company.

The move sent Norwegian's shares down 20%.

Norweigian is known for its low cost long-haul flights, including London to New York and Buenos Aires.

But it has recently started paring back some routes, including a flight from Belfast to New York.
The reaction to the sell-off is interesting. Clearly the market placed some value on the likelihood of IAG buying the rest of the airline. It's a very highly leveraged company with a lot of new airplanes to finance. Why bother spending the money, if Norwegian does go under, IAG will be able to pick at the carcass, maybe pick up some 787s and A320neo, a few Gatwick slots for short and long-haul with the benefit of wiping a low-cost competitor off the Atlantic. With fares like £259 to the USA from London on BA and VS, why bother with the risk of a Norwegian flight?

Norwegian could have added a significant Scandinavian presence to the IAG group, which is a weakness for IAG, although the JV with Finnair to Japan softens that somewhat.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47039303

Apologies if this is now OT for BA following IAG's statement. But looks like Norwegian are raising cash with a share issue.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by dougzz

Apologies if this is now OT for BA following IAG's statement. But looks like Norwegian are raising cash with a share issue.
They're hoping to do so. Note that no bank is underwriting the issue, so it's looking a lot like a last-ditch effort by Kjos, the Norwegian Chairman, and some private equity - a Norwegian billionaire in tax exile. Those three could be left putting in a lot of the money.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dougzz

You can imagine that if/when Norwegian at some point collapse under the weight of its debt together with the complex lease/financing structure in place, IAG will be there ready to hoover up the left-overs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.