Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG acquires 4.61% stake in Norwegian

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus
If I was a ticket holder I would not be over worried , even if they default on a payment , it is most unlikely they will stop flying , there are businesses in America that have lasted for years without servicing their debt , the big problem is for the creditors is how to get their money back and I would have thought closing down the airline the least likely option. Look how WOW is still going despit precictions mad a couple of months ago that it had only days left
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by 47Aitken
If I was a ticket holder I would not be over worried , even if they default on a payment , it is most unlikely they will stop flying , there are businesses in America that have lasted for years without servicing their debt , the big problem is for the creditors is how to get their money back and I would have thought closing down the airline the least likely option. Look how WOW is still going despit precictions mad a couple of months ago that it had only days left
Bankruptcy law in the US is very different from how it works in Europe. WW got a cash injection.

Though I do think they'd sell to IAG for 1 NOK before collapsing.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Bankruptcy law in the US is very different from how it works in Europe. WW got a cash injection.

Though I do think they'd sell to IAG for 1 NOK before collapsing.
One thing I've never understood is how Norwegian's corporate structure works. They're set up as several different airlines (DY, D8, DI, DN, DU) and I wonder what happens to the other airlines if the parent company (DY) goes bankrupt.

Selling to IAG is problematic as DY competes directly with IAG's partner AY on the Finnish domestic market.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Reminds me of Air Europe, which had a very complex ownership and inter company lending etc.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Some person
One thing I've never understood is how Norwegian's corporate structure works. They're set up as several different airlines (DY, D8, DI, DN, DU) and I wonder what happens to the other airlines if the parent company (DY) goes bankrupt.

Selling to IAG is problematic as DY competes directly with IAG's partner AY on the Finnish domestic market.
They set up those companies to enable them to operate in certain markets. It is easier for a EU based subsidiary to get operating licences than it is for an outside EU company for example.

If any of those subsidiaries are profitable in their own right (and I have no idea if they are or not) then the administrators would look at selling those parts off separately.

If IAG did buy then they aren't under any obligation to operate the same services as Norwegian did and could simply shut the Finnish Domestic flights down and thus protect AY just as IAG would likely shutter the LGW routes that competed with BA routes if they bought Norwegian.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If IAG did buy then they aren't under any obligation to operate the same services as Norwegian did and could simply shut the Finnish Domestic flights down and thus protect AY just as IAG would likely shutter the LGW routes that competed with BA routes if they bought Norwegian.
I think the OP was pointing towards potential competition/regulatory issues that might be probalrmatic for a takeover as they would be tempted to do just that. However obviously AY obviously isn’t part of IAG and there are plenty of routes where IAG airlines compete with other Oneworld carriers. There may be some issues thrown up by the various JBAs that IAG airlines and AY are party to. This would be more likely to affect a long haul market given the JBAs are focussed on lobg-haul.

What might happen at Gatwick is very interesting. IAG might seek to move most of its LGW operations under the BA brand This would make BA easily the second biggest airline at LGW after EasyJet. However if you believe the capital markets day presentation on the positioning of the various IAG brands, the logical conclusion would be to preserve the Norwegian brand as part of IAG.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by lcylocal
What might happen at Gatwick is very interesting. IAG might seek to move most of its LGW operations under the BA brand This would make BA easily the second biggest airline at LGW after EasyJet. However if you believe the capital markets day presentation on the positioning of the various IAG brands, the logical conclusion would be to preserve the Norwegian brand as part of IAG.
The LGW operations are also something which may interest the regulators. Sure, they have competition from VS, FR and U2 on some routes, plus competition from carriers of the country they are flying to/from, but some routes might see a near IAG monopoly if IAG takes over Norwegian, and this might trigger comments from regulators.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Some person
The LGW operations are also something which may interest the regulators. Sure, they have competition from VS, FR and U2 on some routes, plus competition from carriers of the country they are flying to/from, but some routes might see a near IAG monopoly if IAG takes over Norwegian, and this might trigger comments from regulators.
What routes? Unless you mean the Gatwick long haul flights, which doesn't make much sense to me. Most of them didn't exist anyway before Norwegian started them, and surely Heathrow comes under the same catchment?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
I have never flown with LCC, but I appreciate them. They help to keep legacy carriers more honest in pricing... too bad about Norwegian if they indeed go under.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 47Aitken
Alternatively, look at Air Berlin or Monarch, who both went bust recently leaving the ticket holders with nothing.

US bankruptcy law seems to exist to protect the debtor from its obligations. European laws are much more traditional.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
According to the Telegraph (far from a reliable source these days)

IAG retains a sizeable stake and is its fourth-biggest shareholder. It is widely expected to make a fresh approach.

Norwegian’s net debt rose by around £800m to £2.5bn in the year to September 2018, forcing it to slash costs and reassure investors...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ndation-widget
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
According to Norwegian crew over on PPrune, it seems an incoming IAG offer is 'imminent'
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by bhbloke
According to Norwegian crew over on PPrune, it seems an incoming IAG offer is 'imminent'
Not sure how Norwegian crew would have any inside information as to what IAG is planning to do in terms of investments.
tigertanaka and Calchas like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
Not sure how Norwegian crew would have any inside information as to what IAG is planning to do in terms of investments.
The comment was :-

Meeting last Friday in Gatwick, expect something to be announced today or tomorrow unless any last minute glitches
So looks like Norwegian are preparing staff for some kind of deal.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
If someone makes an offer for Norwegian it would either be for the company (ie assuming the liabilities and assets) or just the assets (ie leaving the liabilities in the non acquired company). I do not know what is going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.