Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First on BA's 787-9 to MEX - some comments

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I liked both WTP and CW on the 787, albeit I have only limited experience, namely Newark and Toronto, which are relatively short sectors. Much of my recent long haul has been on other OW carriers, but I have a Rio coming up (in WTP), so it will be interesting to see how I feel about the product now. I haven't braved it in Y, but a recent Y trip on AC (LHR-Calgary) was not too bad, but certainly not something that I would want to do too often.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:45 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Catering wasn’t great, with a classic piece of dry BA beef. It was always going to be a little more of a lottery on the return journey from MEX, but I’ve had medium rare steaks on QF in J, so I’m not sure why BA insist on grey beef? The secret with BA beef is to only order it if you see the word “braised”, in my experience.

I
agree. What is more - this is not F anymore. It's really upmarket J. In my old, never to be improved mind all the standards have gone west. With the rules on serving meat where you are running around taking the temperature, the meat is overcooked and dry. Horrid! In F, you take the joint out on a trolley and carve it for the passengers. It is stylish and it means that you have a chance of pink or red meat. Any cook will tell you, the bigger the joint, the better the roast. Who in their right mind oven cooks steak have? Of course not, so you are doomed to failure, particularly if the caterers sear them too long.

The sooner that they stop this travesy that they F the better - or make it exclusive to those who have paid for it and bring it back up to where it ought to be.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Exec Club

The mis-named Dreamliner is a terrible passenger experience, so it's interesting to read that the crew also don't like it! I've flown business on Virgin and BA 787s and WTP on BA's 787. I find:
  • it's noisy compared to the Airbus wide-bodies;
  • and that extra few centimetres of Airbus fuselage width really helps with seat-width;
  • the 787 windows don't darken completely and let through a lot of light if trying to sleep on a daylight flight;
  • the design of the lavatories is atrocious, so that the loo flushes at any sign of motion from your hand (whether or not you're sitting down!)
  • and the BA WTP seat is also atrocious - it's real chutzpah to call this a "premium economy" cabin.
Sadly, I've never made it to first...
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
I’m also a big 787 fan for the cabin pressure reason. I couldn’t agree more with the OPs comments on this. Although I do differ from his/her cabin of choice often, I’ve heard the 787 regularly slated on these forums for its lack of space down the back. Now whilst that’s true, the difference between Y in a 787 and Y in a 777 isn’t huge. But the diffence of how I feel when coming off the two different planes is.

I just feel miles better after a long flight coming off the Dreamliner, it really does make a difference to me. Part of the nature of my travel is a lot of long hauls to the US, where I’ll generally fly out and arrive in the evening, almost always having an evening activity that same day and being on a 787 makes things a lot easier for me in terms of my jet lag and overall exhaustion I find.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:19 am

Just back from a LHR-SCL-EZE-LHR trip

The 787 (J class) on the way out was vile

Cramped, smaller pitch, weird 'alleyways' between the bulk head and the front row of seats, noisy, smelly (definite hint of something petrol based) too hot, hard-to-open overheads, and zero space for club kitchen
The evening meal was very good though - served almost as soon as the seatbelt sign went off
Breakfast was, well, stodge, but tolerable
Crew did their best, but the aisles are so small that even in J you get elbows and knees whacked by the trolley
The ever-flushing loos was a problem in all four cubicles, the crew just said it happens all the time

Wasn't looking forwards to my return flight from EZE - but! Aircraft switch! we ended up on an (old) 747 - and I scored J upstairs

What a difference!
I know upper deck is better anyway, but space, quiet, temperature, everything was better
Crew were happier not being on a 787, so even better service
Food was as good, even breakfast had more variety and was much better quality

So I agree, the 'dream' in Dreamliner is a misnomer
But I suspect that Nightmair, while more appropriate, would sell fewer planes
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:04 am

Deleted
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by SuperstarDJ
I dread to think what it looks like in Y
It's awful. I nicely fit a size 40 suit jacket and my shoulders are wider than the seatback. If my neighbour is the same size as me, our shoulders are touching.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Catering wasn’t great, with a classic piece of dry BA beef. It was always going to be a little more of a lottery on the return journey from MEX, but I’ve had medium rare steaks on QF in J, so I’m not sure why BA insist on grey beef? The secret with BA beef is to only order it if you see the word “braised”, in my experience.

I
agree. What is more - this is not F anymore. It's really upmarket J. In my old, never to be improved mind all the standards have gone west. With the rules on serving meat where you are running around taking the temperature, the meat is overcooked and dry. Horrid! In F, you take the joint out on a trolley and carve it for the passengers. It is stylish and it means that you have a chance of pink or red meat. Any cook will tell you, the bigger the joint, the better the roast. Who in their right mind oven cooks steak have? Of course not, so you are doomed to failure, particularly if the caterers sear them too long.

The sooner that they stop this travesy that they F the better - or make it exclusive to those who have paid for it and bring it back up to where it ought to be.
in general terms I would agree. I do like 7A on the 789, wondering why BA has left their strategic planning so late to update the hard product. First is, as you point out, a J seat with very mediocre food. If they are going to keep it going forward, please get back in the saddle and up the offer.

I do like (in general) BA front of house people and their interaction often against the tide of senior management nonsense.

Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
I wholeheartedly agree with you Pucci (and I have much first hand experience and memories of the old BA First when I travelled with my parents as a child and young adult); the joints of meat (covered in pineapples and cherries) and the tins of Benson & Hedges are sorely missed.However, what the OP and many of us have experienced on other carriers in the present day IS a nicely cooked steak at 36,000 feet. I fly IB regularly between MAD and MIA, and they always ask you how you would like your steak cooked, and mine is always served a nice medium rare (and this is in J as they did away with F about 10 years ago now). Last week I flew MIA to LAS on AA domestic F and my steak was served medium rare (albeit on a bed of overcooked quinoa!). Iberia is part of IAG and their inflight "cooking" capabilities are no different then BA....so why can so many other carriers serve a decent steak and BA can't?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:56 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by themax
I wholeheartedly agree with you Pucci (and I have much first hand experience and memories of the old BA First when I travelled with my parents as a child and young adult); the joints of meat (covered in pineapples and cherries) and the tins of Benson & Hedges are sorely missed.However, what the OP and many of us have experienced on other carriers in the present day IS a nicely cooked steak at 36,000 feet. I fly IB regularly between MAD and MIA, and they always ask you how you would like your steak cooked, and mine is always served a nice medium rare (and this is in J as they did away with F about 10 years ago now). Last week I flew MIA to LAS on AA domestic F and my steak was served medium rare (albeit on a bed of overcooked quinoa!). Iberia is part of IAG and their inflight "cooking" capabilities are no different then BA....so why can so many other carriers serve a decent steak and BA can't?
I can only give you my opnions, Honey, but here they are. I often blame the caterers. I cannot comment here on the people hired by the caterer, but unfortunatley if you have a lot of people who do not "get" rare meat for whatever reason then you are dead in the water. You also have to recall that the general UK taste is for well-done meat.

Secondly, one wonders from where these steaks are sourced and if they are any good in the first place. Sow's ears and silk purses come to mind. Please be aware that this may not be what BA pay for, if you get my drift.

Lastly, Health and Safety have dictated the temperature that the meat must attain before it is served which then renders anything else impossible. Once you set minimum temperatures in a small piece of meat you are going to have trouble. It is entirely possible that Iberia and AA have very different criteria.

Please accept that these are my opinions and that I am not agreeing with this state of affairs, but that, sadly, is how matters stand.
themax likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by chrisboote
The 787 (J class) on the way out was vile

Cramped, smaller pitch, weird 'alleyways' between the bulk head and the front row of seats

So I agree, the 'dream' in Dreamliner is a misnomer
But I suspect that Nightmair, while more appropriate, would sell fewer planes
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again - use of the word ‘Dreamliner’ is pretentious crap! If we can survive calling aircraft Boeing 777, 767, 757, 747, 737 etc why can’t we simply call this aircraft what it is; a Boeing 787?

I don’t know what college BA interior cabin designers went to, but they have succeeded in making the BA 787 J cabin looked cramped in a way that (dare I say it without being accused of inappropriate posting on this forum) QR’s 787 J cabin isn’t. Then again, QR’s A350 J cabin is even better than their 787 J cabin.

Something else I’ve said here before, but it bears repeating. This very forum rates seats 3A and 3K amongst the best BA 788 J cabin seats. If they are the best I dread to think what the worst are like - claustrophobic doesn’t begin to describe the sensation of sitting in these seats. A 2-3-2 seat layout is akin to squeezing a quart into a pint pot. Let’s hope BA goes back to the drawing board for their A350s.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
in general terms I would agree. I do like 7A on the 789, wondering why BA has left their strategic planning so late to update the hard product. First is, as you point out, a J seat with very mediocre food. If they are going to keep it going forward, please get back in the saddle and up the offer.

I do like (in general) BA front of house people and their interaction often against the tide of senior management nonsense.
Booked in 13A and 13K in J on the 789 for my upcoming KUL flights. Will report back. Feel free to advise me against these seats! Can’t get the ones recommended by CWS (7A I think?). It’s either stepping over someone or an aisle (getting bumped into?). Given that the meal is trolley-tastic now, probably best get any window over an aisle I figured...
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:31 pm
Suspended

I noticed on one flight in CW that there really is a need for more than one lav in F. At least two or three times one of the FAs took an FA pax to cut them to the front of the CW lav lines. I'm not sure if the F lav was inoperable or there was just a line. In one case, a mother and her child - maybe under five were waiting - and she was unhappy to have an F pax routed in front of her. I suppose the FA was providing good service to the F pax, but...
SuperstarDJ likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by SuperstarDJ

Booked in 13A and 13K in J on the 789 for my upcoming KUL flights. Will report back. Feel free to advise me against these seats! Can’t get the ones recommended by CWS (7A I think?). It’s either stepping over someone or an aisle (getting bumped into?). Given that the meal is trolley-tastic now, probably best get any window over an aisle I figured...
After 7A these are a decent choice , never had a problem with being next to PE cabin
SuperstarDJ likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I agree very much with the OP
I really like the 787 as a plane but am not sure about BAs interpretation if it

I have flown business in LAN and air india where they use conventional forward facing seats and then you get the feeling of a dreamliner with its mood lighting and aesthetics

BA first feels very cramped and the cabin service just cant be of the traditional BA style . The max of 8 in F means catering choices are VERY limited;. I think only one of the second choice hot breakfasts was loaded on our flight . Club has a really cramped feel; I was in the first mini cabin

My real bug bear with the 787 is those centrally controlled window shades which all airlines I've used abuse!

what do Norwegian do?!

Strangely enough the 787 without F felt better on BA
SuperstarDJ likes this.

Last edited by allturnleft; Apr 15, 2018 at 12:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.