Search

BA First class in their 789 Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
BA First class in their 789 Question

Hey guys,

I just have a small question about the seat pitch of BA First class in their boeing 787-900. I have checked through the seatguru.com, and found out that their first class seat pitch has reduced from 78 to 73 on their 789 compared to a380. So I am wondering if this is really true? If yes, then I would choose another airline, as my height is equivalent to 75 inches.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesielts
Hey guys,

I just have a small question about the seat pitch of BA First class in their boeing 787-900. I have checked through the seatguru.com, and found out that their first class seat pitch has reduced from 78 to 73 on their 789 compared to a380. So I am wondering if this is really true? If yes, then I would choose another airline, as my height is equivalent to 75 inches.

Many thanks.
You probably get better info from thebasource.com.. However, that confirms your report of a reduction from 78" to 73". I guess that's down to a smaller cabin size.

I've just flown a couple of times on BA's 787-9 and First Class is excellent - by far the best BA First Class product. It does feel a tad smaller compared to the A380, but it made no difference to me, and I am 6' 4" (or 76" tall). So I wouldn't worry about any suggested reduction in seat pitch.

I noted in a conversation with the CSD on a recent flight that they (apparently) plan to retrofit the new 787-9 First Class suite on to the 777, but he also told me that they can't fit it in to the A380, which sort of contradicts the suggestion that the A380 First Class suite is larger than the 787-9 First Class suite, doesn't it?

Anyway, don't hold back - go for the 787-9 First Class option - it's fab.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL
Originally Posted by billinghamn
Anyway, don't hold back - go for the 787-9 First Class option - it's fab.
It certainly is fab, though not wearing too well. The leather on the plane I was on was worn already, and the light fitting fell out!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SuperstarDJ
It certainly is fab, though not wearing too well. The leather on the plane I was on was worn already, and the light fitting fell out!
Not too impressive eh? It's only been in service a few years as well! Is it 3 years now? Something like that.
SuperstarDJ likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by jamesielts
Hey guys,

Many thanks.
Be careful with the measurements on Seatguru as the numbers can be a bit misleading - many people will mistakingly interpret the pitch as the bed length, which are not one in the same. Do remember that the pitch is the distance from one point on a seat to the same point on the seat in front of it. This is very well realized when looking at the pitch of business class seats in a reverse herringbone layout. For example, take a look at the listed pitch of business class on the AA 773 which comes in at 43” even though the bed is well over 6 feet in length (sorry, don’t have the exact measurement but at 6’3”, I can lay perfectly flat without having to bend my knees at all).

So while the pitch in First on BA may have reduced by a few inches, I would venture to guess the overall bed length is at least the same in comparison to the older versions, but simply the seats are slightly more angled now, in turn reducing the overall pitch.

However, with that all said, going back to my original point - Seatguru’s information is inconsistent at best as they seem to fill in the pitch measurement with either of those two items (actual pitch vs. bed length) which you can see by then looking at the Cathay 773 details where business class (pretty much the same seat as AA’s 773 business) is listed at 82”... a far cry from the 43” they list for AA.
Ldnn1, dylanks, Tobias-UK and 1 others like this.

Last edited by pmanchuk; Apr 7, 2018 at 9:11 pm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I agree that the bed hasn't been reduced by 5 inches (though I've never measured it). however, the A380 F seat is the most spacious one BA has out there - the 789 is more 'classy' / elegant but 380 wins on space grounds for sure.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA
I flew on an A380 to LA and returned on a 789 last week, both in First Class. The suites felt different - the 789 was clearly newer - but both were spacious and comfortable. I found the 789 seat laid out as a bed uncomfortable though, and I reverted to a cradle type bed! I'm 6'2 and had no issues lengthwise whatsoever. I'd certainly fly both types again without hesitation.

Incidentally, the crew on both flights were terrific, the food was great and it was a successful use of an American Express 241 voucher - yay!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:56 am

I'm 6"4 and find the 789 a lot more cramped than the A380 or 747 in F

Although the 789 seat is nicer the way the space to put your feet tapers in so much I find it difficult to get comfortable.

I would choose the A380 over 789 any day
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
The A380 seat is larger (Prime Plus), but the 789 seat is the newer generation (Prime 2) and has a number of usability enhancements.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
I'm flying LHR-LAX and was wondering if travelling as a couple which would be the best option A380 or 789?
Neither of us are particularly tall.
I assume the catering is the same on these day flights?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/Hilton Diamond/IHG Spire
Originally Posted by r281
I'm flying LHR-LAX and was wondering if travelling as a couple which would be the best option A380 or 789?
A380 allows you to dine together and it has proper blinds! My wife doesn’t like the Dreamliner for those two reasons although I don’t mind some me time!😂
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by billinghamn
I noted in a conversation with the CSD on a recent flight that they (apparently) plan to retrofit the new 787-9 First Class suite on to the 777, but he also told me that they can't fit it in to the A380, which sort of contradicts the suggestion that the A380 First Class suite is larger than the 787-9 First Class suite, doesn't it?
That's not the plan. The brand new F seat will be retrofitted on the 777
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by r281
Def the A380 - best plane in the sky IMO, and certainly the best F set-up

Only downside - bigger plane, more people...so if they start unloading top deck first you end up in a bigger queue (although on 789 you get off after half of J too)

I've said it before - I don't like the 789...not the plane, nor the seat..others disagree

If you go 789 sit on the K side, A side gets a lot of foot traffic
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by chris1979
the A380 F seat is the most spacious one BA has out there - the 789 is more 'classy' / elegant but 380 wins on space grounds for sure.
100% correct
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:18 pm

I'm booked on 789 with SO later this year. Right now we're in 2A and 2K. It's an overnight flight that departs at 2240 so I figure we'll sleep, but am tempted to switch us to the middle seats. SO loves the buddy seats on other layouts. What says the forum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.