Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Getting to Sydney and back in F with Avios + 2for1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Sydney and back in F with Avios + 2for1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauldb
You'll have no trouble transiting SIN twice; even sometimes-awkward countries like China make this pretty straightforward.

There is a bit of an issue with mixing classes: your first leg might be available on 16/5 but your onward leg SIN-SYD will be on the next calendar day so will not open up until 17/5. I don't think it's straightforward to secure one, as you'll need to, and then add the other the next day (6/4 if that's your date looks like the first day of the Easter holidays: likely to be snapped up). Booking LON-SYD as one segment with one departure date doesn't have this problem (nor does a split SYD-SIN/SIN-LON as both flights depart the same day). I would either prioritise booking LON-SYD as one segment or....

Are you going to SYD only? The alternative is to book to SIN or maybe KUL (to access AirAsia), and then a cash fare onwards. If that saves an internal flight it may be worth the slumming (though in particular KUL-PER is a short flight with often cheap biz fares). LON-KUL F and then SYD-LON J would also fit your avios pile: it does seem like you're travelling peak cost.

A final alternative is to book some form of LON-SYD//HKG-LON. You may get a substantial cash saving returning from HKG that offsets the cost of a cash ticket Oz-HKG.
I like that idea - we were actually going to go to Adelaide and Barossa valley so could do that on way out or back. Yes unforutnately my other half is a student and we have to travel in peak times
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Well - I would say J is still fantastic for £700ish and your Avios and Voucher - so try and book and keep checking for some special Qatar fares - you can cancel the Reward flights for £35 each and based on recent deals on QR get a cash fare for as low as £1300 per person
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Not useful for the 2 for 1 obviously, but as separate redemptions, there is more availability now between SIN and SYD and MEL thanks to QF upgauging services to A380s. Another combination that can be easy to get premium redemptions on is CX (QF is harder) from HKG to SYD, MEL, BNE or PER, and JL/QF from NRT/HND to SYD/MEL.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And welcome ouennais, from what I presume is (yet) another member from that island down south. Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA board, it's good to see you here. Thank you for sharing your positive experience, I hope we will see more of you here.
Thanks, CWS! Yes - correct, Jersey born and bred!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:08 am

With a 2for1 + GUF2 (without GGL jokers) what is the strategy here? Does it make sense to book the J flights using only the 2for1 and then try to use the GUF2 later if availability in F opens up? Or just hold off on booking anything until F opens up on BA redemption finder?

(edit: very flexible with dates)

Last edited by Frequent flyer 101; Mar 27, 2018 at 7:15 am
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Sorry for getting bit off topic but didn't want to start a whole new thread.

I assume the LHR-SYD route is quite popular and the flights loads quite high. I'm looking to book SIN-SYD in W and GUF2 it to J (using a Joker if necessary) for Jan 2019. Should I secure this now as the dates are pretty much set or is it likely there would be a sale / promo rate for this route at some point before next winter?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by AnttiV
Sorry for getting bit off topic but didn't want to start a whole new thread.

I assume the LHR-SYD route is quite popular and the flights loads quite high. I'm looking to book SIN-SYD in W and GUF2 it to J (using a Joker if necessary) for Jan 2019. Should I secure this now as the dates are pretty much set or is it likely there would be a sale / promo rate for this route at some point before next winter?
jan is high season and any sale won’t save you that much unless going ex EU. I would just use TA and save myself the joker
AnttiV likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Hey guys,. just wanted to tell you all I've managed to get this all booked

Lon>Sin BA First (A380)
Sin>Mel Qantas Economy
Mel>Adelaide Qantas Economy
Adelaide>Syd Qantas Economy
Syd>Hkg Cathay Economy
Hkg>Lon BA Business (A380)

All for around 250,000 avios + £2004 - probably could have done it a bit cheaper with more avios but looking forward to flying in First again!
Old May 9, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
I found availability a month ago 2 seats in J to SYD. I bagged them quickly as my Amex 2-4-1 was running out. I also got 2 seats in F back from PEK. COngrats to the OP on finding 2 F seats to SIN on the A380.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.