Wiki Posts
Search

Different perspective on GF catering

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:15 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Al Safwa is stunning visualy, but that’s where I find the goodness ends, style over substance. Unless it has changed recently I found the food bland, with pedestrian champagne, wines and spirits and an atmosphere that just does not lend itself to relaxation.
Agree. I much prefer the CCR to Al Safwa for the reasons you mention.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:18 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum

Al Safwa is stunning visualy, but that’s where I find the goodness ends, style over substance. Unless it has changed recently I found the food bland, with pedestrian champagne, wines and spirits and an atmosphere that just does not lend itself to relaxation.

They did let me in on one occasion. Unfortunately that was the time my watch was stolen and I had an F boarding pass for Dubai. I am considering QR for far east as they are flying from CWL soon, which saves me 4 hours round trip on the M4.

The GF is for me perfectly decent. I haven't as yet been into T3 CX F, will remedy that next time I am in T3...

Someone also needs to sort out the signage at DOH. You get sent in two completely directions for the normal lounge.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I thought the Al Safwa was only available to QR F ticket holders only? I've been denied access twice despite pointing out OWE on my J boarding pass. As we all know, QR never sets a foot wrong, so this must be an inappropriate comparison with GF.
You are correct, the Al-Safwa, like the CCR, is not a OW lounge, so OW acces rules don't apply. You were correctly denied access, in the same way you would be if you presented a BA CW boarding pass at the CCR door as a OWE (assuming no CCR card).

I would agree that the QR lounges in DOH are not a fair comparison to GF, since neither Al-Safwa nor Al-Mourjan are OW lounges, and the provision at DOH for status holders in Y is not great. Perhaps you do need to be a little less touchy about QR though, IAG's biggest shareholder is a high quality carrier and a JV partner of BA. I'm sure BA is grateful that that QR is willing to partner with its midmarket brand.

The comparisons to CX and QF F lounges are more valid, and while I'd agree that several of those are superior to T5 GF, none have the non-premium throughput of GF, due to the sheer number of OWEs (mainly BA Golds) passing through T5 daily.

I've always been a fan of GF. While the CCR is perfectly nice, GF generally meets my needs and I've always found somewhere to sit. I think it gets a bad press, though it can't be denied that the food quality has declined over the last few years, it's increasingly laden with cheap carbs like CE.

BA's T3 Flounge is properly underwhelming, if BA is going to remain in T3 it should do something. I'd like to think it was costing BA a lot in people using other T3 lounges, but outside a small group of frequent flyers and other FTers, I doubt that is the case.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 25, 2018 at 1:27 pm Reason: Edit quote
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I like GF and I don't think it really gets that much criticism on here. It falls a little short of the top notch F lounges, but it's a very decent lounge IMO. And First Wing is brilliant.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by rossmacd
The quality of the meat for one thing - it resembles some sort of grey matter. And then the chips have been cold every time I've tried it (not for some time now, granted).

If I had kids, I could not feed them the BA burger, sorry.
We must had a lucky day when we ordered the burger then, because we found none of those issues
I would never have suspected there were any problems if you had not raised the subject. The meat was good, bread was ok, chips were hot and nice. Not 'Belgian' nice of course, but adequate nonetheless.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Some
I agree that it's all about perspective when it comes to this kind of judgment and T5 GF is perfectly fine as a lounge.

However, the correct base of comparison for T5 GF is, to me, not the third party lounge at OSL but other lounges at a carrier's main hub for an equivalent level in their FFP (so AA's latest Flagship Lounges at JFK/MIA/LAX, CX F lounges in HKG, JL F lounges in HND/NRT, QF F lounges at SYD/MEL, LH Senator lounges in MUC and FRA, etc.). On this basis, the T5 GF catering does not come out particularly well, as far as I'm concerned. Some of these lounges I'd happily skip a decent lunch before visiting to be able to eat in the lounge, T5 GF no chance. Booze-wise the situation is somewhat better, Brits being seemingly more interested in the quality of alcohol than the quality of catering, I'd say.

As an aside, this thread should have almost nothing to do with QR but hilariously it's the people who like to complain about discussion of QR happening in the BAEC forum that have turned it into a discussion on QR within less than one page!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I thought the Al Safwa was only available to QR F ticket holders only? I've been denied access twice despite pointing out OWE on my J boarding pass. As we all know, QR never sets a foot wrong, so this must be an inappropriate comparison with GF.
I’m just back from BKK and Flew QR and both times had a stop at the Al Mourjan Lounge. Although it’s the Business Class Lounge it was good but nowhere near as good as GF.

If you want a great lounge, personally I don’t think you can beat the TK Lounge at IST!

For choice, seating and self pour! GF is one of the best out there in my opinion

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 25, 2018 at 1:28 pm Reason: Edit quote
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
GF is amazing lounge.

Yes there are better (I frequent HKG...) but so what?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Can confirm I made specific mention of parmesan in the feedback form for my last TATL leg. Not that I've ever tried the pasta in GF, but one for all etc.

On the lounges, BA suffers more from what it was than what it is. That's the problem when you pare down a premium offer, what is lost is much more visible than what may be gained.
But you need to consider the product across time.

All T5 lounges are superior today to their equivalent pre-T5 offerings pretty much across the board.

Extensive food in GC lounges compares to little more than sandwiches, crisps and nuts in pre-T5 days. Chef's kitchen in one of old T4 lounges offered a bit more, but that was an exception. GF offers far greater selection than the old F lounges in T1 and T4. In those lounges hot food was limited to F pre-flight dining or non-existent. CCR is also better from a food perspective with more restaurant like feel. Since launch of T5 lounges, I would not say food quality or choice has declined except during initial handover to BS.

Drinks is a different story. Premium spirit offer has remained pretty much the same from pre-T5 to today. Wine however has taken a noticeable drop with inferior Champagnes and inferior still wines. This is since the opening to T5. Initial T5 wine offer was pretty good. This does not seem to coincide with move to BS and certainly pre-date Senor Cruz.

Business facilities such a computer areas, printers etc. are much improved on old pre-T5 days.

Finally, dedicated F security that leads directly into the F lounge is light years away from anything pre-T5, even the old T1 premium check in area.

Perhaps someone who has used BA's lounges for over twenty years could explain to me where BA have pared down their premium offer? I still use lunges that are way better than pre-T5 offer, that still beat most lounges worldwide across the board and are only bettered a small number of flagship lounges, which are not much used to you if you are based in London or much of the rest of Europe for that matter.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I didn't fly long haul, but in the late 80s my recollection is that the CE lounge food selection was pretty good. Yes, sandwiches, but good ones.

No one would call the GF food 'good' in anything other than a basic sense. It fills a meal shaped hole, but that's about the size of it. I don't find it a part of the experience that enhances my view of the product overall, where I loved the older CE lounge experience. But it's quite possible my memory is faulty. I had lower standards in my 20s.

I would always prefer CX where available, the noodles are good and a bit lighter than the fare in most other lounges. Wasn't impressed at all by Al Mourjan. My favourite BA lounges are Singapore and Boston where I think they get the food choice spot on.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:32 pm

La Grande Dame is a pedestrian champagne now? That's news to me

In addition to the stunning looks, I think the private hotel rooms are also amazing — and perhaps more conducive to relaxation, if the main part of the lounge isn't to your liking.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FrancisA
But you need to consider the product across time.

All T5 lounges are superior today to their equivalent pre-T5 offerings pretty much across the board.

Extensive food in GC lounges compares to little more than sandwiches, crisps and nuts in pre-T5 days. Chef's kitchen in one of old T4 lounges offered a bit more, but that was an exception. GF offers far greater selection than the old F lounges in T1 and T4. In those lounges hot food was limited to F pre-flight dining or non-existent. CCR is also better from a food perspective with more restaurant like feel. Since launch of T5 lounges, I would not say food quality or choice has declined except during initial handover to BS.

Drinks is a different story. Premium spirit offer has remained pretty much the same from pre-T5 to today. Wine however has taken a noticeable drop with inferior Champagnes and inferior still wines. This is since the opening to T5. Initial T5 wine offer was pretty good. This does not seem to coincide with move to BS and certainly pre-date Senor Cruz.

Business facilities such a computer areas, printers etc. are much improved on old pre-T5 days.

Finally, dedicated F security that leads directly into the F lounge is light years away from anything pre-T5, even the old T1 premium check in area.

Perhaps someone who has used BA's lounges for over twenty years could explain to me where BA have pared down their premium offer? I still use lunges that are way better than pre-T5 offer, that still beat most lounges worldwide across the board and are only bettered a small number of flagship lounges, which are not much used to you if you are based in London or much of the rest of Europe for that matter.
My recollection of T4 F Lounge downstairs (w CCR on the main floor and CW upstairs) was that is was much, much smaller but still had an a la carter menu with hot dishes, although more hamburgers and pasta - not fancy. I do remember the sandwiches being really high quality as opposed to the convenience store variety -- I particularly remember the prawn tea sandwiches (which I have an addiction for) as being among the best i've had anywhere. It also seems like the fresh orange slices in their own juice were better, which I guess speaks to quality of produce used since there is no magic in peeling oranges.

I totally agree current GF in T5 has more variety of food and more extensive offerings. I find the quality of nearly all the food under the heat lamps is quite average to poor - heavy and dried out.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:16 pm

Location: Almost exactly equally distant from LCY, LGW and LHR.
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
The BA GF lounges at Heathrow aren't really that bad, but that isn't really the point. When you look at a lounge at an airlines home base you do expect it to be a cut above the rest. The CCR does indeed somewhat complicate things, as there are 3 tiers of lounges other than 2 in most places.

However, from my personal experience I'd rather take most other OW's home lounges over GF. Previously BA would have been in the middle of the pile, but we have lost Air Berlin and AA have got the act together with the flagship lounges. I've no experience of UL or QF home bases, but all the other OW carriers now have BA beat.

It is telling that in T3 the CX offering is considerably better than the BA one. If I was BA management I'd be embarrassed by this, but I'd armchair CEO BA quite differently and possibly much less successfully than Walsh/Cruz have done.

Also, despite the offerings being nearly identical I somehow prefer the LGW GF to T5. I'm not sure what it is, I think it just being smaller, but everything seems just a little bit "nicer".
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The only basis of comparison that really has any validity is the one that has meaning to the one doing the comparing.

QF/JL/QR/AA etc may have objectively better lounges at their bases. But those objective differences mean nothing to those with no first hand experience.

To someone used to Admirals Clubs in many US airports or Priority Pass throughout Europe, such as the ladies referenced in the OP, GF (or indeed in some cases even GC) would be a superior experience.

Contrast that to someone with extensive experience of the flagship lounge at all of the major carriers bases, and BA’s lounges tend to get a distinctly more average review.

Thank you OP for sharing the story. A good reminder that, as with so many things on FlyerTalk, subjectivity is truth. FWIW in my fairly limited experience of the Galleries Club lounges at GLA & LHR, I think they’re pretty good. But I reserve the right to change that subjective opinion if I ever get to experience any of the other lounges mentioned above
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Again, I preface this by saying I think GF is a decent lounge in many ways and obviously if you are LHR based, BA has the widest range of flights, but where would GF rank just at LHR?

I could see - in addition to CCR - putting CX F and J, EK and QR ahead of GF. UA's new lounge looks terrific, and I believe EY is supposed to have quite a nice lounge.

If you can't get access to CCR, which lounge at LHR would you choose as your favorite if you could choose any, regardless of flight schedules?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.