FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Positive Club World experience (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1899998-positive-club-world-experience.html)

corporate-wage-slave Mar 22, 2018 12:07 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk ChrisMcP and welcome to the BA forum. LAX is getting the new catering and new bedding, which hopefully will improve the quality of your flight. Forums such as this tend to highlight problems rather than all the flights that go well, nothing wrong with that, but I would hope you have a good flight to California.

subject2load Mar 22, 2018 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 29554852)
The majority of my long haul flying has been spent down the back so as far as I'm concerned the CW product isn't to be sniffed at.

I’m sure there’s much in what you say HIDDY. And I do hope you’ve been enjoying some nice hotels & restaurants from all those savings over the years. I guess I’m fortunate in that around 80% of my F class travel, and maybe 60% of biz class, has not required me to dig into my own pocket.

Your “not to be sniffed at” remark put me in mind of a memorable, ringing endorsement by an FT poster, several months ago, just after he had experienced his very first taste of longhaul biz with BA :
Club World - definitely better than economy”

Irrefutably true ;)

ChrisMcP Mar 22, 2018 12:58 pm

Thank you for the welcome. I’ve been a long time ‘lurker’ but found it very informative and at times amusing.
I’ll be more excited about the new bedding to be honest. Have always quite enjoyed CW, despite having to pay £100 to reserve my seat !

QUOTE=corporate-wage-slave;29555131]Welcome to Flyertalk ChrisMcP and welcome to the BA forum. LAX is getting the new catering and new bedding, which hopefully will improve the quality of your flight. Forums such as this tend to highlight problems rather than all the flights that go well, nothing wrong with that, but I would hope you have a good flight to California.[/QUOTE]

Mks6 Mar 22, 2018 2:42 pm

I had a fantastic flight back from Chicago on Monday night in CW.

Really helpful crew member who turned out to be a good laugh as well and adapted her service to our hungover states.

Enjoyed the food service and being able to sleep after a very long weekend.

But then I at times don't mind a full English from Wetherspoons so my opinion is probably worthless in this hallowed forum.

Our flight out in First was even better. Have recommended the crew on BA's website.

Gig103 Mar 22, 2018 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisMcP (Post 29555115)
Good to hear a positive review.
Have booked CW LHR to LAX in October. Last traveled this route 18 months ago and was hoping the service wasn’t as bad as I’ve been told it has become.

The internet does make most things look gloom-and-doom. If every 747 has 70 CW, every A380 has 97, and every 777 has 40+, that's a lot of satisfied customers who rarely take the time like @OP did to post their praise.

The worst thing about CW is the expectation to pay for seat assignments in a premium cabin. Even LCC Norwegian doesn't charge for seats in their "business" (which is closer to WTP)

Frequent flyer 101 Mar 22, 2018 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 29556261)
The internet does make most things look gloom-and-doom. If every 747 has 70 CW, every A380 has 97, and every 777 has 40+, that's a lot of satisfied customers who rarely take the time like @OP did to post their praise.

The worst thing about CW is the expectation to pay for seat assignments in a premium cabin. Even LCC Norwegian doesn't charge for seats in their "business" (which is closer to WTP)

Until you have status, when it becomes a really valuable perk. Being able to get extra legroom, window, direct aisle access seats fairly easy is a big motivation to get/keep status. The fact that it's paid means there is usually a wide availability of seats.

Filthy Monkey Mar 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 29553380)

Not that I fly BA much these days (out of choice) but on my most recent CW 788 flights (in the favoured 3A/3K) it felt as if I was lying in a coffin (low, narrow seats, tall sides) - it doesn’t get much more private than that!

If ‘so many people’ (myself included) rate QR’s A350 J product - including the light, spacious cabin, superior IFE, etc - then maybe they’re onto something; after all, you can’t fool all the people all the time. :)

Each to their own - I found the A350 nice enough on a day flight, but completely lacking any privacy, similar to a CW aisle seat, when it was time to eat or sleep, which I really didn't like. While I would certainly advocate for an updated CW seat, given the choice of A350 or window seat in the current CW cabin on an overnight flight (especially upstairs on the 747), I'd go BA.

Prospero Mar 23, 2018 12:46 am

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 29554833)
Sounds like Alex is wasting his time - and money - on a new seat, to finally replace the current version, which was once considered so innovative (many, many moons ago before the days of more enlightened, imaginative, products and cabin configs).

No need for change. It’s all tickety-boo. IF you snag 7a on the 787 - or maybe one of a small number of seats on UD of the 747.

The industry has formed a position where business class seats need to to have direct access to the aisle to gain credibility irrespective of whether the seat/bed itself is actually comfortable to sleep/lounge in. It is a peculiar state of play considering the disproportionate amount of time passengers spend on board getting in/out of their seats compared to the time spent in the seat, but that's where we are now.

My own personal view having logged many hours in a variety of business class seats is BA's Club World seat has yet to be surpassed in terms of comfort and flexibility as far as accommodating a variety of sleeping positions, although I find the Super Diamond seat ranks favourably while benefiting from direct aisle access, more generous personal stowage space, and without the momentary irritation of the divider screen in action but is less forgiving in terms of sleeping positions.

TravellerFrequently Mar 23, 2018 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Calloway (Post 29554620)
Just completed a code share between BA and AY in business. The longhaul planes included BA 787, BA 777, AY a330 and AY a350.
I actually preferred both BA business seats to the AY ones. The a330 just hasn't aged very well (obvious signs of wear) and the a350 had a really uncomfortable seat for sleeping and the footwell was pretty tight. As far as the actual planes go, however, the a350 wins hands down - easily the quietest of the 4. Also, AY bedding is vastly superior to BA.

I preferred the aged AY A330 to the new A350, as I agree with you and corporate-wage-slave that the seating is very cramped. How the generally much taller Finns cope, I do not know, except that the AY Board had quite a few negative comments when I looked last year.

Flew main CW to and from BOS last weekend for the first time in ages - most recent experiences in recent years have been on the A321, which is a different seat. I thought it comfortable for sleeping. The new seat padding and bedding were good.

flatlander Mar 23, 2018 2:48 am

I'm with all the people saying the CW seat is very comfortable if you are taller, broad-shouldered or want to sleep on your side - all of which applies to me. The point of Business Class is a comfortable seat that goes flat and you can sleep well on it. Direct aisle access is no use if the seat is too hard, too narrow, too short, or (worst sin of all) it looks OK but in practice the hole for your feet is too small if you have large feet.

Club World has none of these problems and I'll take it over most other business seats currently flying.

Keeping up the density, and therefore the commercial viability, of a business class cabin while giving everyone aisle access inevitably means some other compromise: narrow seats, short seats, half the flat bed under the seat in front with a short, narrow foot cubby. How many people actually want that? Not this BA CW customer.

subject2load Mar 23, 2018 3:21 am

Fascinating - even if somewhat bemusing - to see BA’s CW seat (not to mention its wonderfully copious storage facilities) being praised to the skies .... its virtues extolled liked no other .... maybe the best there is... ? Industry-leading, you might say.

Emirates, Cathay, Qatar, Singapore ........ you don’t know just how far behind the times you are. And wait till BA reveal their new all-singing, all-dancing seat. It will put you all to (yet further) shame.

I wonder have I perhaps stumbled into some parallel world .......

Lucanesque Mar 23, 2018 3:28 am

Why bemusing? Just because some people don't like it doesn't mean it must be universally disliked. I agree there's far better J products out there, but then there's a whole load of other variables that come in to play - routing, timing, budget, FF alliance etc. If Singapore was in OW I'd fly them, if I had limitless time flying to Asia for work I'd break the journey in the ME, but for many people BA direct flights out of LHR just make sense. Speaking personally, whilst I'd prefer to fly in F, CW is more than adequate, better than WT and WT+, and gives me a comfortable ride on a direct flight.

Padmeister Mar 23, 2018 3:36 am

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 29557411)
Fascinating - even if somewhat bemusing - to see BA’s CW seat (not to mention its wonderfully copious storage facilities) being praised to the skies .... its virtues extolled liked no other .... maybe the best there is... ? Industry-leading, you might say.

Emirates, Cathay, Qatar, Singapore ........ you don’t know just how far behind the times you are. And wait till BA reveal their new all-singing, all-dancing seat. It will put you all to (yet further) shame.

Why can't you just accept that some people like CW? If people are slagging it off and pointing out it's shortcomings you are happy! But if it receives the slightest positivity you love to comment in a patronising way! At the end of the day each to there own for example I cannot stand the tacky Gold bling of Emirates however you probably think it's amazing!

Prospero Mar 23, 2018 3:36 am

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 29557411)

What are your own thoughts based on your own experience?

subject2load Mar 23, 2018 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 29557435)
What are your own thoughts based on your own experience?

I guess my own thoughts could essentially be categorised into two different eras, so to speak.

As a BA traveller since way back (even when it operated under a different name !), I remember it as a very innovative carrier, and - specifically where its longhaul business class product is concerned - as something of a benchmark for quality around the world. I would regularly choose BA, wherever feasible, in preference to other carriers. The revolutionary flat-bed seat, when first introduced, was of course a game-changer. Everybody took notice - and understandably so.

Fast forward to today’s era, and I have a rather different perspective. I look for a comfortable seat, with good storage, quality IFE, direct aisle access and as much privacy as a business class config can allow. For those aspects, there is a host of alternative carriers out there who, for me, have a significantly superior proposition to that offered by BA. OTOH, what I really do like about BA is their convenient scheduling and wide range of non-stops from London ; plus, in many cases - though certainly not all - a very personable crew. In short, it’s a decent, mostly respectable product, even if below the level of onboard standards available from many other carriers.

Would just add - but not really part of the seat debate - that I think the BAEC is a very good scheme. Although, perhaps the irony of me focussing more in these past few years on BAEC (rather than EK Skywards) is that my closer involvement with OW has been instrumental in helping familiarising myself with the range of attractive alternatives.