FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Positive Club World experience (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1899998-positive-club-world-experience.html)

mjh0 Mar 22, 2018 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 29553612)
I used to put by glasses on the small drinks tray in Club - easy to find and far enough away not to be accidentally knocked off.

I'm a bit of a "kicker" while I'm asleep unfortunately. That's a surefire way of my glasses ending up on the floor.

mjh0 Mar 22, 2018 4:53 am

Originally Posted by yb90 (Post 29553625)
I have the same issue, I cannot see very well without my specs and dread losing them....I have discovered a solution though; I pull out the controller for the IFE system and loop out a inch or so of the connecting cable and gently click it back in so it does not get jammed, I then put my glasses through that loop, works like a charm :)

Nice hack!

Of course, the irony of all this is that Martin Darbyshire, principal of Tangerine who did the industrial design for the current CW seat, wears glasses.

Tobias-UK Mar 22, 2018 5:07 am

Originally Posted by mjh0 (Post 29553629)
I'm a bit of a "kicker" while I'm asleep unfortunately. That's a surefire way of my glasses ending up on the floor.

Are you a contortionist in your spare time? :p :D

TheFlyingCyclist Mar 22, 2018 5:10 am

With the new food and bedding in place now, I can't really see how you could find a better club experience anywhere other than 7A on a BA 787-9. 2 rows in the cabin, complete cocoon when seated, aisle access, no foot coffin etc etc.... I suppose the issue is the variation between the seats which isn't the case so much with other arrangements of seating.

GB

TheFlyingCyclist Mar 22, 2018 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 29553612)
I used to put by glasses on the small drinks tray in Club - easy to find and far enough away not to be accidentally knocked off.

Isn't that what the Elemis shoe bags are for? Loop an empty one round the TV screen et-voila. Storage.

Cap'n Benj Mar 22, 2018 5:34 am

My experience mirrors the OPs, Im very rarely disappointed in CW, it very much ticks the necessary boxes for me and as predominantly a redeemer or advantage taker of cheap fares, I'd be happy for them to maintain the density moving forward

Yetak Mar 22, 2018 6:30 am

Its good to read some positivity on here. We don't do that much long haul a recent First in First ( which I thought was fab ) return to LAS being the exception.

Apart from that the last LH was MRU and CPT in 2015 both in CW. We have a family trip to South America next week flying LGW to LIM with everyone excited about it and especially the treat of travelling in J. I've been struggling to work out why I haven't got the same sense of excitement (about the flight )as the rest of the family then I realised I've been reading FT and they haven't!

You'd have though according to some of the posts on here , rather than getting thanks from the family for booking (hopefully ) a great holiday I should be reported for child neglect !

Ancient Observer Mar 22, 2018 6:39 am

Flying Cyclist,
IMHO there are too many folk on here saying good things about row 7 on a 787-9. A secret should be kept secret!
I discovered row 7 on flyertalk.
Shouldn't we be saying that it is awful, suggesting that other folk take a different row?

Calloway Mar 22, 2018 9:54 am

Just completed a code share between BA and AY in business. The longhaul planes included BA 787, BA 777, AY a330 and AY a350.
I actually preferred both BA business seats to the AY ones. The a330 just hasn't aged very well (obvious signs of wear) and the a350 had a really uncomfortable seat for sleeping and the footwell was pretty tight. As far as the actual planes go, however, the a350 wins hands down - easily the quietest of the 4. Also, AY bedding is vastly superior to BA.

subject2load Mar 22, 2018 10:00 am

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist (Post 29553673)
With the new food and bedding in place now, I can't really see how you could find a better club experience anywhere other than 7A on a BA 787-9. 2 rows in the cabin, complete cocoon when seated, aisle access, no foot coffin etc etc.... I suppose the issue is the variation between the seats which isn't the case so much with other arrangements of seating.

GB

Hmm. On some routes, at least.

And good to know that there is one good seat on the 787. Nice if you can get it. Not so nice if (like me), you can’t !

Gig103 Mar 22, 2018 10:32 am

Originally Posted by technical_bob (Post 29552597)
Sleep: Oh my god, that was the best sleep I've ever had on a plane. The bed just *worked*. I'm sure this is to some extent a taste thing, and I'm 6ft+broad shouldered, but I found the this bed to be more comfortable than any of the other J products I've used. The ability to comfortably turn on my side makes such a difference, and there was none of the lumpyness that some of the seats have in the lower back area.

I also like the aisle CW seat for sleep! I think CW feels wider than other products because there isn't a big "pod" or "shell" at the shoulders (counterpoint - not as private), and legs aren't crammed into a cubby or "coffin". I like a mild incline, not full flat, and the CW "Z" position with adjustable foot rest helps with that too. I also like that the sliding tray table means you can get out during meal service if nature calls.

THEOBCMAN Mar 22, 2018 10:35 am

Absolutely agree with OP. CW for me is a lovely place to spend a 12 hour LH flight. All the BA bashers I read about seem to go on about in climbing over legs IF seated at a window ........ boring. Pleased to read something positive about CW !

subject2load Mar 22, 2018 10:43 am

Sounds like Alex is wasting his time - and money - on a new seat, to finally replace the current version, which was once considered so innovative (many, many moons ago before the days of more enlightened, imaginative, products and cabin configs).

No need for change. It’s all tickety-boo. IF you snag 7a on the 787 - or maybe one of a small number of seats on UD of the 747.

HIDDY Mar 22, 2018 10:48 am

The majority of my long haul flying has been spent down the back so as far as I'm concerned the CW product isn't to be sniffed at.

ChrisMcP Mar 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Good to hear a positive review.
Have booked CW LHR to LAX in October. Last traveled this route 18 months ago and was hoping the service wasn’t as bad as I’ve been told it has become.