Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for mistake with special meal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by bamba70
It's like you're trying to make the point that €50 is a generous compensation for a 4 hour flight delay, whereas the EU ruled that €600 is fair.
But I think that in pointing out that most people's time is hard to value at EUR150 / hour you suggested that yourself as well.

It's great that you work for a company that offers generous / perhaps excessive compensation. I hope they treat employees equally well - it's a rare thing these days. If they do that just because they're altruistic even better. If they do it as a way of balancing costs against retaining valuable customers then that's what BA do as well, and all indications are they don't value the type of customer that expects c.Ł200 compensation for a missed meal. As you point out re your prior IFE experience it sets expectations, and they will probably fall apart on one or both sides at some point. You are ahead at the moment, and have perhaps learned something about BA from everyone pointing that out. You almost seem to have had your cake and eaten it, although it wasn't the special cake you hoped for .
bisonrav likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:03 am

...vegetarian was ordered...
@Can I help you and other BA folk: Is there no discretion to use vegetarian items (assuming they're there ) from the BoB stock similar to when xUP passengers are too late to have a CE meal loaded?

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Mar 17, 2018 at 5:16 am
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
I used to request a low fat breakfast...

I complained [about them not being loaded] and got a Ł100 slap up meal at the restaurant...
It may be our interpretations of "slap up", but I'm trying to work through the "calorie banking" involved here. If one misses X regular breakfasts should the compensation meal be even more slapped up to balance things out .
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
@Can I help you and other BA folk: Is there no discretion to use vegetarian items (assuming they're there ) from the BoB stock similar to when xUP passengers are too late to have a CE meal loaded?
Yes we can use items from the BoB menu if special meals have not been loaded.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you

Yes we can use items from the BoB menu if special meals have not been loaded.
Well that could have saved about 7 pages of OP having their substitute meal flame grilled .
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I don’t think anything would satisfy the OP.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I see your point, but what about genuine dietary requirements - eg no nuts or no fish meals or no gluten? Those surely are not 'made up' and would you agree failure to accommodate for those should attract different level then some hippie vegetarians?
Do you find vegetarians of the hippie kind or quasi kind more to your liking. If this need to hint that vegetarians are in some way less real dietary needs than others I don’t get it. I have a colleague that cannot eat meat, he’s so repulsed he’ll be sick within seconds, he was once served a pizza with hidden meat/fish and was sick dashing for the toilet despite spitting it out immediately. Interesting you mention gluten, I see many people eating bread and pastry having previously told me they were gluten intolerant, their choice, I don’t mind.

I’m just not sure that the special meal not being loaded is compensation worthy. I’m not sure I’m right. If it’s a full on allergy then yes perhaps, but certainly not for religious or ethical reasons. But then I wonder if I’m devaluing mental aspects over physical ones. It’s bloody complex this business.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The EU hasn't ruled that any compensation is due if you don't get your first choice of food. And it's not as if you had nothing whatsoever to eat anyway, plus the crew would have worked something out if you hadn't been able to eat at least something from the meal that you were given.

You've been given compensation that is way in excess of what BA would normally give you. The value of the Avios you've been given is probably somewhere around $100 (it's almost certainly in the $70-$140 bracket). It is beyond almost all of us to see how you think that you have not yet been properly compensated for what happened. Not getting your first choice of airline food is probably worth no more than a tenth of that.

If you are serially disappointed by the compensation offered by different airlines, then it may be your expectations that need to be reset.
Well, the comp I previously received for an IFE malfunction was above what I'd expect (and I did not even request any comp), so I don't think the issue here is of generally excessive expectations (not to mention "greed").

My point is that it makes no sense to consider what BA "normally" gives as the reference point for what is fair. It should be the other way around.

Think about it this way: before 2005 anyone could say that expecting comp for a 4 hour delay is unreasonable, or that more than Eur50 is "greedy" because BA normally gives at most 2,000 avios as comp for such delay, etc. Yet once EC261 came into effect, Eur600 became the standard for what is fair. Since nothing changed in how such delays actually impact people, this means that Eur600 should be seen as fair also for the time prior to the regulation.

In the same way, consider that it's only due to competing priorities and/or pressure to minimize new regulation and/or relatively low frequency of missed-meal issues, that there is (as of yet) no EU regulation for compensation amounts of such incidents. This does NOT mean that whatever BA normally gives is remotely close to what otherwise would have been ruled as fair and enforced.

The arguments some make here about "you ate something so why should you get any comp" are just ridiculous. If you bought a J ticket but was then downgraded to Y, would it make sense for you to hear "hey, they got you from point A to point B on time, and they arranged for you an alternate seat which you tolerated, so just be content with an apology and be grateful if they gave you a few measly avios" ?

Last edited by bamba70; Mar 17, 2018 at 9:33 am
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by dougzz

Do you find vegetarians of the hippie kind or quasi kind more to your liking. If this need to hint that vegetarians are in some way less real dietary needs than others I don’t get it. I have a colleague that cannot eat meat, he’s so repulsed he’ll be sick within seconds, he was once served a pizza with hidden meat/fish and was sick dashing for the toilet despite spitting it out immediately. Interesting you mention gluten, I see many people eating bread and pastry having previously told me they were gluten intolerant, their choice, I don’t mind.

I’m just not sure that the special meal not being loaded is compensation worthy. I’m not sure I’m right. If it’s a full on allergy then yes perhaps, but certainly not for religious or ethical reasons. But then I wonder if I’m devaluing mental aspects over physical ones. It’s bloody complex this business.
I despise vegetarianism, but that is besides the point
My point is that there are serious conditions eg severe nut/gluten allergy, and choice things vegetarianism/kosher/muslim/lacto-ovo
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Well, the comp I previously received for an IFE malfunction was above what I'd expect (and I did not even request any comp), so I don't think the issue here is of generally excessive expectations (not to mention "greed").
BA have reduced the number of Avios they give in compensation. There was a time when simply flying an older version of their F cabin would net you 50,000 Avios. For better or worse, the days of generous compensation appear over, although there have been some reports of a loosening of the belts in that regard.

My point is that it makes no sense to consider what BA "normally" gives as the reference point for what is fair. It should be the other way around.
I believe you are wrong, as it serves as a benchmark of what is reasonable vs unreasonable

Think about it this way: before 2005 anyone could say that expecting comp for a 4 hour delay is unreasonable, or that more than Eur50 is "greedy" because BA normally gives at most 2,000 avios as comp for such delay, etc. Yet once EC261 came into effect, Eur600 became the standard for what is fair. Since nothing changed in how such delays actually impact people, this means that Eur600 should be seen as fair also for the time prior to the regulation.

In the same way, consider that it's only due to competing priorities and/or pressure to minimize new regulation and/or relatively low frequency of missed-meal issues, that there is (as of yet) no EU regulation for compensation amounts of such incidents. This does NOT mean that whatever BA normally gives is remotely close to what otherwise would have been ruled as fair and enforced.
I still think comparisons between EC261 and your situation are misguided. EC261 was not implemented (IMHO) solely to reward travellers who face disruption - that is an effect of the legislation, but I do not believe it was the primary intent. It was done to discourage airlines from unilaterally causing delays, cancellations etc for commercial reasons because the passenger was left with little recourse. It is Consumer Protection legislation which was an attempt to focus minds at airlines and put a cost on them delaying passengers for their own commercial convenience (especially when you consider events totally outwith the airlines control like the recent snow storms in the UK are specifically excluded from being covered by EC261).

An even with EC261 - fairness is in the eye of the beholder. A WT passenger who experiences a 4 hour delay on a long-haul flight gets 600EUR - which can often mean a total refund (or more) of the return trip (I have been in exactly that situation). Whereas an F passenger with a delay a good deal longer still only receives 600EUR which could be a mere fraction of what they paid.

The arguments some make here about "you ate something so why should you get any comp" are just ridiculous. If you bought a J ticket but was then downgraded to Y, would it make sense for you to hear "hey, they got you from point A to point B on time, and they arranged for you an alternate seat which you tolerated, so just be content with an apology and be grateful if they gave you a few measly avios" ?
If you bought a J ticket and were downgraded to Y, under EC261 (assuming it applies and you were flying from/to the EU on a community carrier), you receive 75% refund of the ticket price.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:00 am

The arguments some make here about "you ate something so why should you get any comp" are just ridiculous.
Not saying you deserve NO comp, just that you did take a replacement meal therefore it's not as if you were forced to starve due to ethical, religious or health reasons. Therefore comp due is not really as high as you are claiming. I had a flight from CAI-LHR where the tray table was broken which forced me to eat with my leg constantly holding up the table, or not eat at all. I complained and received about 5000 points comp. I didn't really expect any more and in the end, it's not as if I suffered greatly - I was merely inconvenienced although my leg was uncomfortable throughout the meal time.

IFE out? That would piss me off a lot more than the wrong meal. Especially on a long flight. Honestly, you are milking it for all it's worth and are really sounding a little 'spoilt'. Sorry, but I have said it.
haroon145, Lucanesque and GM1985 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:11 am

BA doesn’t guarantee delivery of special meals.

You received a meal.

Everyone thinks you’ve been more than adequately compensated.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
That is not what we are doing.

We are looking at you getting something of the order of $100 compensation for not getting your special meal, although still being able to eat (without even having to fall back on the next line of defence which was to ask the cabin crew to cobble together something from what they could find in all the cabins on the aircraft).

That is well in excess of what is fair compensation for the relatively small inconvenience which you suffered.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:23 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
It's like you're trying to make the point that €50 is a generous compensation for a 4 hour flight delay, whereas the EU ruled that €600 is fair.
The €600 is not really compensation for loss. It's intended as a disincentive for BA not to disadvantage passengers. You're comparing apples and oranges. You actually didn't lose out on anything. You got a meal. Not the meal you were expecting but you got fed. Would you expect a free meal in a restaurant on the next visit if they had run out of what you wanted? If you go to a michelin star restaurant and they run out of something but give you something else of equivalent quality, they aren't going to refund you at the same time as feeding you. That's not a reasonable expectation.
KeaneJohn, Lucanesque and GM1985 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:38 pm

More than 100 posts ago, the OP asked a simple question:

"Now I'm wondering - what is the chance of getting a significant additional compensation?"

Having received an overwhelming response, the OP doesn't like the answer. Just like OP's response to the substitute meal, he/she will never be satisfied. You can't always get what you want. (See Rolling Stones)

​​​​​​​Don't ask ask a question if you will only accept one answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.