Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Terminal 5's 10th anniversary - 14 March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Terminal 5's 10th anniversary - 14 March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I think you maybe a day late.
The ‘actual birthday’ was (is ??) published as the 14th - today.
Maybe the celebration will include mass baggage loss/meltdown. Plane food are giving their patrons free bubbly.
If it was the 13th, then I’m a day late and a dollar short (again !)
@WorldLux - thank you, yes it was what I was looking for, and thank you mods for moving me there!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Once the teething problems had been sorted, T5 represented a huge step forward for those of us using BA regularly. I (briefly) started to enjoy passing through LHR again. However, I am not sure there is much to celebrate now. Even the best bits of T5 (the CCR, for example) have been left behind by the astonishing development of other hub airports. T5 now feels like little more than a larger and more overcrowded version of T4 from all those years ago. The dreaded A10 first thing in the morning, the bus back to T5A late at night, the ludicrously overcrowded GFL (I haven't been up to the business lounge but I hear it is a zoo), more and more shops and promotional stands crammed into every corner (I even had some git interrupt my snooze on the CCR terrace to try and sell me a Samsung phone once) and the tediously infrequent transit all make for a miserable experience. Passing through so many other European, ME, Asian and even some American airports is a dream by comparison.

It was just another woefully thought through piece of substandard British infrastructure that could have been a show piece but which has become little more than a national embarrassment.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
It was just another woefully thought through piece of substandard British infrastructure that could have been a show piece but which has become little more than a national embarrassment.
Well, at least it opened.
BER? Now that is an embarrassment.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
As a GCH, I think T5 is excellent. A quiet, relaxed, uncrowded security area that decants straight in to the GFL. Personally, I don't find the GFL too crowded, although I appreciate that some people might like the lounge to be silent and empty apart from themselves... never had a problem finding a seat, sometimes frustrating finding a menu but getting food and drink is easy enough. Certainly can't see how the terminal can be described as a "national embarrassment"
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:16 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I remember the opening well - the overriding image I have is that hilarious 30 second clip shown on TV of some senior BA Manager being pursued across the new terminal by loads of press and TV folks, actually breaking into a sprint at one point rather than face questions....all that was missing was the Benny Hill music . The tail end of the "chase" can be seen in the video below at 3.12 - shame the main part is not included! I think the poor chap lost his job shortly afterwards.

There were also stories at the time (also confirmed by an eminent BA poster on FT) that the Baggage Handlers were somewhat ahem, "deliberately complicit" in the chaos on days 1 and 2. They had not been happy at the new working practices imposed regarding the move and loss of some privileges etc so decided to be deliberately uncooperative. The union bloke in the video blames poor training by BA and the reporter says staff had "problems finding space in the car parks" etc but there was a lot more to it....apparently

Last edited by BOH; Mar 14, 2018 at 7:36 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:27 am

I am currently in T5. Not seen any celebrations whatsoever!
missdimeaner likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Once the teething problems had been sorted, T5 represented a huge step forward for those of us using BA regularly. I (briefly) started to enjoy passing through LHR again. However, I am not sure there is much to celebrate now. Even the best bits of T5 (the CCR, for example) have been left behind by the astonishing development of other hub airports. T5 now feels like little more than a larger and more overcrowded version of T4 from all those years ago. The dreaded A10 first thing in the morning, the bus back to T5A late at night, the ludicrously overcrowded GFL (I haven't been up to the business lounge but I hear it is a zoo), more and more shops and promotional stands crammed into every corner (I even had some git interrupt my snooze on the CCR terrace to try and sell me a Samsung phone once) and the tediously infrequent transit all make for a miserable experience. Passing through so many other European, ME, Asian and even some American airports is a dream by comparison.

A few years ago I may have agreed with that, but I actually find T5 pretty good overall. Yes the lounges can be crowded, but so are the lounges in AMS and MAD in my experience. Recently I've found immigration to be quicker than in the past, although they still have the annoying habit of not switching on all the e-gates. On the few occasions I've checked bags in, baggage delivery has often (but not always) been slow (although to be fair, if you're out of the plane and through security in under 10 minutes, then you are likely to have a bit of a wait in even the most efficient of airports).

AMS has, again in my opinion, seriously declined in recent years. I know they are expanding it at the moment, so hopefully it will be back to its glorious former self, but it can be very crowded and passport checks can take a long time. I also find the staff generally unhelpful.

MAD at peak times can be a bit of a zoo.

Not been to FRA for ages, but never liked it much.

I don't have much time for CDG either.

I agree that T5 might not measure up well against the very best in the world, but I'm not sure that there is an airport in Europe that stands head and shoulders above it.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by rtid
What a disappointment - here's the line-up: https://blog.heathrow.com/celebrate-...of-terminal-5/

In summary:

Fun with Lego (and free biscuits!)
Check-in, 06:00-21:00

Live music
Departure lounge (10:00—16:00)

Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
From 2000 we were mainly flying VS from LHR or MY from STN. It appears my first BA LHR l/h was in April 07 ... I wonder where that went from? T4, I guess. So our first T5 should have been May 08, but my Travel Diary tells me the BA217/216 IAD rotation was still using T4. So our first T5 was in 09, about which I have no recollections at all!

Happy Birthday anyway! ^
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
What a disappointment - here's the line-up: https://blog.heathrow.com/celebrate-...of-terminal-5/

In summary:

Fun with Lego (and free biscuits!)
Check-in, 06:00-21:00

Live music
Departure lounge (10:00—16:00)

With the disclaimer of not spending much time in the departure lounge, I did a quick sortie from the lounge lounge (N) to the cigarette store then on leaving walked to the transit and saw absolutely nothing - very disappointing due to the big brou haha beforehand.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Classic B ritish understatement, it appears
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by T8191
Classic B ritish understatement, it appears
Or maybe due to teething problems the live music and lego has been pushed back a couple of weeks after mistakes with the system and staffing difficulties.
T8191 and missdimeaner like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I was involved in the testing of T5

We met in a hotel on the bath road and were told a little of what to expect. We were given boarding passes or booking references I can't remember. I was HBO to Moscow. We were then bussed into T5, we then had to clear security and hand around the airport for a while until our flight was due to board (we had to bring a good book as none of the shops or eating places were open).

I then boarded my aircraft (around A20 /A22 I think - it was a long time ago) and we pushed back onto the apron between T5A and T5B. We were then served with a lunch pack, new boarding passes were handed out. I was now a transit passenger arriving from JNB and going to MAN. Our flight was late so we had a very tight connection. Our MAN flight was leaving from A04. I had no seat allocated

We taxied back onto stand the stand and I rushed to try and make my gate before the flight closed. We board our bus at A04 and were I think taken back from there to the hotel.
BOH likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by rtid
So it’s not just me ! Not that it matters now , I’m on my aircraft ‘delayed’ for 20 mins.
I really do think Heathrow did things a day early to accommodate HRH ....
I’ll get my coat (along with the rest of the plebs )
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
A few years ago I may have agreed with that, but I actually find T5 pretty good overall. <snip>

I agree that T5 might not measure up well against the very best in the world, but I'm not sure that there is an airport in Europe that stands head and shoulders above it.
I agree with you, I find T5 not too bad in comparison with my connection experience elsewhere in Europe.

The new Lufthansa terminal in Munich might be the exception but I doubt it carries the volume of passengers T5 does.

Lufthansa's area T1 A and B at FRA is a nightmare. The transit experience is not pleasant, the business lounges there are more crowded than T5.
The First experience may be better but I never got to sample that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.