Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
All these people who think Y long haul is torture should get a life. I am just leaving JNB, plenty of poverty round here to show that all of us on this board are lucky to have what we have.
those night flights will seem a treat and before long you'll look forward to a J flight and appreciate it for what it is
Sounds like you're arguing that airlines should get rid of Business Class and go all-economy.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I would just ask that I be allowed to pay the difference to upgrade at booking stage (ie company pays Y but I can pay up to transform this into W or J). Then with extra money you are effectively where you wanted to be in the first place. Many people work in areas where Y only is the norm and the right to pay for upgrade is a fair compromise IMHO. I think it is particularly the case in your situation because even if the CEO leads the way, this becomes part of the company's ethos and it would be unfair for you or anyone else to be a single exception for no particular reason, but if paying to buy up is allowed and why not, it becomes your choice on how to spend your salary.

That said, I must say that I find the question a bit unreal to answer: in practice, in my experience, job choice has never been about the specific pros and cons in a table or something, I always get a pretty clear sense of whether I want it or not beyond rational arguments and I trust my summative judgement. So trust your instincts which are typically far more than instinct.

Last edited by orbitmic; Mar 3, 2018 at 3:11 am
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Whether you can turn a job down purely based on the travel policy surely depends on your current and prospective future employment status. If your in a good job that you enjoy then maybe you can be picky about travel policy but if you’ve got a choice of that job or nothing then it’s not much of a choice.

personally I would turn it down unless it was that or nothing, or they’d let me pay the fare difference at booking stage.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by chris1979
...I am certainly aware of pretty senior people in Fintech or Google et al travelling in less comfort than your average accountant or consultant - not because the company can't afford it or skims on all expenses but because in a non-billable environment, costs are looked at differently.
Yup. I travelled down from MAN with a quite senior Googler next to me, en route for SFO. She was travelling on an obscenely expensive Y-ticket (revealed in a discussion about a date change she'd had to make).
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by woodey
So here’s the situation, I’m at the 3rd interview stage of a really good job. The package, role etc are all excellent but the company has an all Y travel policy, no exceptions, even the CEO travels Y (it’s a large America company). I’m likely to need to travel long haul once a month and short haul once a month. I’m OK with the short haul Y, I’m used to that in my current job but long-haul Y then straight into a meeting seems brutal.
Amazon, by any chance? Most of the more senior people will pay for the upgrades, build up miles and then use those for upgrades in a rinse/repeat cycle. At least they're agnostic about what carrier you fly so that you can finesse the alliance game. Generally. (And, I highly recommend the AS programme as IMO it provides the most useful earn/burn for Amazon flying IME)
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
As others have said, it would depend on the nature/destination of the LH flights. I worked for a FYSE100 company with a Y policy and survived doing mainly east coast US flights. If it were Far East or Australasia it would have been a different story...

I was once on the same flight as the CEO who was definitely not at the back of the plane, probably a Premier and frequently upgraded...

Take the dream job otherwise you’ll regret it. Make yourself invaluable and then start to negotiate using logic.
Stez likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Yup. I travelled down from MAN with a quite senior Googler next to me, en route for SFO. She was travelling on an obscenely expensive Y-ticket (revealed in a discussion about a date change she'd had to make).
Unfortunately it doesn’t go across the whole group. I recently was speaking with a Googler who was in J (granted I didn’t ask if it was all covered or if he upgraded himself). Facebookers ride J for these sorts of trips, first-hand experience of that.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Often1
First, do more research on what the corporate TA books. If the company books a corporate discount but into published fares, that is one thing. But, if its TA uses consolidator or BULK fares, those cannot be upgraded or may only be upgraded with great difficulty. Also find out what other policies exist. Are you booked into the lowest fare for what someone else determines is the best timing? Will the employer pay for seat assignments if in that position?
Speaking from an HR perspective, if I had an applicant start asking those sorts of detail questions about how a company vendor operates internally I'd move on to the next candidate. There are always more people out there that can do the job well. Everyone thinks they're a special snowflake in terms of skillset and experience, but that's seldom really the case. The times that you genuinely can't find someone else to do X or Y job usually means you know the 2-3 people globally who *can* do it on a first name basis already.

Second, at least as a middle ground, have the TA book you into your preferred class of service and provide a personal CC for the excess over what is allowed. Upgrades are purely discretionary and if you make general use of them, will slowly go away. You also can't be sure that BA won't change its policies tomorrow.
You expect Carlson-Wagonlit et al to be able to manage that?! Ahahahahahaha.......

And as an aside, splitting the payment creates tax problems given a single charge in the books. They're a PITA to reconcile.

Fourth, do understand that these people are ready to bump your compensation by $24,000 + taxes on that in order to entice you. If they want to do that, they can also sign a contract for J travel over some number of hours. The CEO may fly in the middle seat in steerage because it sends a message to shareholders, but you are not the CEO.
No, they may not be able to alter it. Depends entirely on the company.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
That's curious, I know a group of Google graduates who travelled in J from London to the CPPCON in Seattle last year. I had assumed that was their basic travel policy.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I found that those doing long haul in Y often do it in Company time.
I only travel J in long haul but normally I am flying in my own time.
One large USA based employer gave 24 hours off following an 8 hour plus flight. What a waste of time!!
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I personally feel the FT bubble was - ironically - always likely to be the wrong sort of place to seek real-world advice, given the forum’s known proclivity (or in some cases, a near-obsession) for premium cabin travel.

Will still offer an opinion, mind you : take the job which you clearly see as a fine opportunity. Look at the bigger picture whilst remembering that this is not some lifetime commitment (unless it’s a particularly strange contract ....!). Make the very most of this chance to enrich your skills and develop potentially valuable industry contacts ; and worry less about a few hours of relatively minor discomfort once a month - an issue which, in any event, has been compensated for in hard cash, and will be yours to spend just as you wish.

Alternative option ? Run the risk of (potentially) not receiving an offer quite as attractive, for quite some time - if indeed ever. Not to mention subsequently learning that the candidate who WAS eventually appointed went on to great things, whilst you, by contrast, find yourself plagued by misgivings and regret.

Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The precise way your travel is booked makes a considerable difference to your upgrade potential.
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
That's very interesting. I feel I'm about to be schooled

I thought all fares could be AuP'ed?

I'm utterly ignorant on corporate fares, so curious. Thanks in advance
The way company travel is booked makes a big difference, there must be 2 dozen ways of doing it. Here are just a few examples to highlight the issues:
1) Large company has inhouse travel, a multi-million dollar spend on BA, including access to BT/IT (bulk/inclusive Tours) ticketing. It pay via immediate direct debit or invoicing
2) Medium company outsources medium travel spend to CWT, Amex etc, with direct GDS access, payment by corporate credit card typically. Maybe has some deals with BA and different deals with other oneworld airlines.
3) Small company books travel on corporate credit card but it's in the name of the traveller, and is booked via BA.com
4) Very small company gets traveller to book themselves and claim back.

You won't get POUGs on 1 or 2, perhaps 3 too. You can't have an AUP on 1. You may be able to UUA 2, 3, 4. Now 4 and perhaps 3 is effectively the best option in this area since (e.g. you can call within 24 hours of booking and upgrade to WTP for just the fare difference and no change fee).

Essentially it's all about ticket ownership, Know Your Customer, and whether the fares are public/published or not. Option 4 is the only one guaranteed to have ticket ownership with BA, known BAEC customer and published fares. A BT/IT ticket is at the other extreme - perhaps ticketed on AA, perhaps a BT/IT fare, not published, payment detached from the traveller.

And as I say there are dozens of variants in between.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:02 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by TPRun

Unfortunately it doesn’t go across the whole group. I recently was speaking with a Googler who was in J (granted I didn’t ask if it was all covered or if he upgraded himself). Facebookers ride J for these sorts of trips, first-hand experience of that.
Google has a policy of a budgeted amount for a particular itinerary and the employee can book their own travel within that confine. They are incentivised for the amount that they don’t spend.
TPRun likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
I've even flown to Singapore from London on a Sunday arriving early Monday AM, gone to a meeting then flown back that night in Y. Again I didn't die.
It may not have caused your instant death but it will certainly reduced your life span! You’re going to miss a hot towel, that last glass of Krug and a packet of pretzels as a direct consequence.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
As others have indicated I'd want to know a few details before deciding:

Is W allowed? (For many including my company this is considered economy...)
Where are those LH monthly trips? (If Boston or NY take the deal, if Sydney run for the hills!)I
Will they let you book a cheaper ex-EU trip in business? (You'd need to be allowed W travel for this to work)
will they allow you rest days (getting there a day earlier than you would if flying business) and does that work for your personal life?

My company rules are no business below 10 hours and I travel LH monthly, but with a third or so being east coast trips, W allowed and getting there the day before I find it OK. One of my team books ex-eu Business if cheaper than W which I approve. I struggle for the over 10 hour flights though so would want to be sure the extra £2000 a month could get me into J for those trips....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.