Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Holiday incl Avis car, who is my contract for the car with?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Holiday incl Avis car, who is my contract for the car with?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
I had an issue at Cape Town with the Avis franchise in relation to damage I never made to the car, CC got charged the excess, emailed them saying it wasn't me and in the end then refunded the charge. I wassn't sure on whether to let BA do it or not
I had the same recently - took far too many calls to Avis UK to sort it out ( It was a straight booking on Avis.co.uk, not BA Holidays) - they are nice and helpful on the phone but have zero follow up - but they did in the end get it sorted .. I get the impression this is a frequent issue with Avis ZA ( which is a licensee they were at pains to tell me, which I was happy to tell them wasn't my problem but theirs! ) .. Probably would have been faster to query via Amex, but may have been more awkward since the spurious extra charge didn't come through separately , but rather as part of the valid charge which I was of course happy to pay [ Extra in my case was about £90 in 'damage' charges ]
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Possibly, However via BA the terms are better, E.g if I make an off the shelf booking with AVIS uk or ZA for a car in South Aftrica the excess is £500 but via BA its £200 so better rates but yes in my case it was a voucher
Don't dispute that, but would appear to me as if there's some backroom mechanic at play to recuperate some of that 'saving'/
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
That said, when using the voucher system it does appear on average as if 'scams' are more common - could it be that they often expect the middle man to deal with issues thus they chance it more?
Perhaps also people travelling on packages are infrequent travellers who don't know what's going on, and are more likely to be moved by all the "we'll have to hold over €1000 on your card", "you'll be liable for everything", "what if your car is vandalised" scaremongering. The guy at the MLA desk last week was rather disappointed by my cavalier risk appetite as I cheerfully accepted liability for every hypothetical misfortune he could think of, safely protected by my £39 annual insurance4carhire policy...

If you've turned up on a lastminute.com Ryanair package, you have probably never heard of car hire excess insurance, so the Avis upselling might well work.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
The most persistent attempt at up selling by Avis ( or any rental company) I had was at Kingston airport in Jamaica where the agent wouldn't accept that my Amex card had cover on it ( despite it being a BA holidays booking which I think had basic CDW cover on it anyway included) .. I just kept saying No and eventually he said he'd have to call Amex to confirm which I made him do ( He ended up calling someone in Amex in Brighton in the middle of the night! ) .. Amex were great and told him to get lost and I got the car without any extra charges ( and despite the truly appalling roads and standard of driving in Jamaica managed to avoid making any more damage to the rather old car! )

Normally a polite 'No - it's all covered on the card suffices' at most places in Europe whether Avis or otherwise in my experience ... it's really only that guy in Jamaica I've ever had who's pushed much beyond the 'We will have to hold $xxxx on your card' line to which I always reply 'of course be my guest'
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
The most persistent attempt at up selling by Avis ( or any rental company) I had was at Kingston airport in Jamaica where the agent wouldn't accept that my Amex card had cover on it ( despite it being a BA holidays booking which I think had basic CDW cover on it anyway included) .. I just kept saying No and eventually he said he'd have to call Amex to confirm which I made him do ( He ended up calling someone in Amex in Brighton in the middle of the night! ) .. Amex were great and told him to get lost and I got the car without any extra charges ( and despite the truly appalling roads and standard of driving in Jamaica managed to avoid making any more damage to the rather old car! )

Normally a polite 'No - it's all covered on the card suffices' at most places in Europe whether Avis or otherwise in my experience ... it's really only that guy in Jamaica I've ever had who's pushed much beyond the 'We will have to hold $xxxx on your card' line to which I always reply 'of course be my guest'
Wow. Having been involved in an RTA in Jamaica between a 52 seater tour bus and a fire engine, I admire your bravery! 😱
BOH likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:11 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
If you’ve paid with Amex, I would alert them to any fun and games with Avis as well.

We’ve had spurious charges appear weeks after renting with Avis, which Amex have reversed immediately when you query it with them.
I didn't, I paid with an IHG Visa Credit Card. The Fuel Option charge is also not a specific separate transaction either, it is incorporated into the one overall bill. Is it still worth alerting the CC company - or as I suspect will they direct me to sort it out with Avis or BA?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:24 am

Had some minor issues with Avis Orlando on a BA booking.

SatNav - tried to upsell me a SatNav at $11 (?) per day as I would need it. LIE #1 , as car had a built in SatNav. Nice top up income on a 3 week rental.

Petrol - big sign behind the desk saying local prices were $2.18 a gallon. LIE #2 , gas prices were between $1.94 and $1.98 locally.

Fortunately I have been around ling enough to spot such things a mile off but a first time renter might not have known.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
The other petrol scam they often try is charging for the entire tank, rather than just the amount you've used. Even if they are truly offering you the petrol for $0.10 less per litre than a petrol station, they'll charge you as if the tank was completely empty (e.g. 60 litres at that price) rather than the 20 litres you might actually need...
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:06 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Deltus
The other petrol scam they often try is charging for the entire tank, rather than just the amount you've used. Even if they are truly offering you the petrol for $0.10 less per litre than a petrol station, they'll charge you as if the tank was completely empty (e.g. 60 litres at that price) rather than the 20 litres you might actually need...
See my earlier post....that is exactly what they have charged me for. A full tank even though it was completely topped up at a petrol station just 2km from the rental car return. As I mentioned, the girl at the desk specifically said when I queried why the "Fuel Option" box was ticked on the contract, she replied, "it is only so we have pre-authorisation on your card in case you don't return it full sir". Utter lie!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:15 am
BOH

Originally Posted by simons1

SatNav - tried to upsell me a SatNav at $11 (?) per day as I would need it. LIE #1 , as car had a built in SatNav. Nice top up income on a 3 week rental.
You are another that has jolted my memory back to last week at STR - see my earlier posts. The Avis agent asked me if I wanted to take the Satnav option at something like €11 per day. I declined (I just use my I-Phone) and when I got to the car....guess what? It had a built-in Satnav!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
I must've been lucky so far (and have probably now jinxed that), but I've not had problems with Avis (yet ) despite hiring cars from them in many parts of the world, both on BA Holidays as well as independent bookings. I do always keep the petrol receipt of filling it close to the return location. But I have had a number of of nice upgrades over the years.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by simons1

Petrol - big sign behind the desk saying local prices were $2.18 a gallon. LIE #2 , gas prices were between $1.94 and $1.98 locally.

Fortunately I have been around ling enough to spot such things a mile off but a first time renter might not have known.
the biggest scam for car hire in Orlando is the $4 a gallon gas stations near the airport where it is $2 A gallon just five miles away !
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
See my earlier post....that is exactly what they have charged me for. A full tank even though it was completely topped up at a petrol station just 2km from the rental car return. As I mentioned, the girl at the desk specifically said when I queried why the "Fuel Option" box was ticked on the contract, she replied, "it is only so we have pre-authorisation on your card in case you don't return it full sir". Utter lie!
I think the "Fuel Option" is to pay for a full tank when you pick the car up and it is up to you to return it as near to empty as your nerves will stand. The default is that you either return it full or pay for them to fill it, often charged in eighths of a tank. So, if "Fuel Option" was checked, then you were agreeing to buy the full tank at the outset.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
OP more info re Funchal

Originally Posted by 'andad
Overcharged by Avis in Funchal. Who should I complain to BA Hols or Avis (bearing in mind that Funchal is probably a concession and Avis Uk will say nowt to do with them).
As the Op, it may be a more useful warning to add what happened at Avis Funchal should you go there.
1. Mrs could not find the plastic card used to operate the barriers at the Avis car park. Charged €30.50 for this piece of plastic with little value to anyone else, and anyway am sure it is in the car somewhere. €5 more appropriate I would have thought.
2. Charged € 180 for a very small scratch on a door. Ok I damaged it, but when I surveyed the multiple damage on taking the car out, the same agent said "we ignore anything under 2.5 cm". Apparently not.
3. Most annoying was the complicated invoice, so many pluses and minuses. I was assured that if the lost card and damage was extracted, that I was charged nothing over what the BA/Avis voucher included. Later found that I have been charged €101 for Location Charge and €24 for Road Tax. Checking my booking back home, these are both included in the voucher. Downright dishonest.
I raised this with Avis UK 4 days ago, and having not had a reply yet, have put a proportionate block on the Amex transaction.
Of course I should have checked the (complex) invoice more thoroughly at the time, but it was raining, flights were being cancelled due to weather, and I have not had problems with Avis in literally hundreds of bookings (except one in Namibia).
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:49 am
BOH

Originally Posted by MADPhil
I think the "Fuel Option" is to pay for a full tank when you pick the car up and it is up to you to return it as near to empty as your nerves will stand. The default is that you either return it full or pay for them to fill it, often charged in eighths of a tank. So, if "Fuel Option" was checked, then you were agreeing to buy the full tank at the outset.
Yes am aware of this. So I specifically queried with her why the box was ticked - see my earlier posts for her reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.