Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Coming later in 2018] Reserve/pay for seats with Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue

Announced alongside "a number of new initiatives" coming later this year in the latest edition of The Club; "Executive Club Members will be able to use their Avios to pay for and reserve seats in advance via Manage My Booking"

BA - The Club - The Executive Club
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Depending on the pricing structure, I feel that this would be a good solid progressive move. Perhaps it’s not quite so pragmatic to myself just now, but certainly in the past and possibly in the future this option would have been extremely useful.

Took a while to find the article but is under the best of BA news section. For some reason on my iPad the direct link seems not to be working.......I blame the weather

Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: IHG Gold
KLM already offer this, ableit at a shocking rate. 2000 FB miles or £6 on a shorthaul. 8k miles or £17 on a long haul (all in Y).

signol
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
I suspect the rates will not be great. Either way, welcome as another form of payment.
Not sure which category this serves however, customers who are Avios rich but have no status?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by YacozA
I suspect the rates will not be great. Either way, welcome as another form of payment.
Not sure which category this serves however, customers who are Avios rich but have no status?
I suspect customers with no status who have Avios and have no particular plan for what to do with them. There are lots of people who slowly accumulate a few tens of thousands of Avios but take no interest in the best ways to redeem and get good value.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:52 am

I think it's a good idea.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC
This is great news for me.

No status, lots of Avios (from a family member who travels for work), and I consistently get two companion vouchers each year.

Will save me spending £600(ish) each year for our long haul flight seat selection.

Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
How good this is will depend on the rules and what BA does behind the scenes

Will all seats be available or will some (upper deck for example) be hidden so Gold and Silver get first dibs on them for example.

Obviously this will suit some people more than others and to many the number of avios needed won't matter because they will not be spending cash and they don't necessarily equate avios having a cash value
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
If I was being cynical I'd say that this would be a perfect thing to introduce if you were planning on making short haul redemptions HBO. "For only an extra 2000 avios why not add baggage and a seat reservation to your reward flight"
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:18 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The devil is in the details. If the plan means that status passengers lose free seat selection, I bet people will not think of this as a good idea.
Markie likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:41 pm

I like this idea. If and when I drop back down to Bronze it opens up more options for me as I normally pay to reserve seats in CW.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by fransknorge
The devil is in the details. If the plan means that status passengers lose free seat selection, I bet people will not think of this as a good idea.
Ouch. That hurts to even think about it.
florens likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by PointsPointsPoints
This is great news for me.

No status, lots of Avios (from a family member who travels for work), and I consistently get two companion vouchers each year.

Will save me spending £600(ish) each year for our long haul flight seat selection.

Don’t you get free seat selection at T-24hrs?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by fruitcage
I suspect customers with no status who have Avios and have no particular plan for what to do with them. There are lots of people who slowly accumulate a few tens of thousands of Avios but take no interest in the best ways to redeem and get good value.
Could well cater for the once a year or so holidaymaker rather than someone just building them up.
I've got a couple of thousand Virgin miles from East Coast trains that are practically useless to me. Should I ever fly Virgin, and I could use those to say select a better seat, it's a use for them and it takes them out of circulation as well.
710 77345 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:34 am

The question for most people here is: Will the people using this be those who would have paid anyway, or those who would not? Depending on the answer, this could mean that more people are competing for the same good seats. Though I doubt this will be a significant problem. Actually, as an elite, BA is one of the better airlines for this. When booking 2+ months in advance 19/20 one of my preferred seats is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.