Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snow Stories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by BlackSkyuk
148 late now. Last reported location, Heaton North Jn pass 2158½ pass 0027 148L Looks like it is moving north now.
The good news is that the track ahead is clear http://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/berwick#LINK_1
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yep, schoolboy error catching the X26 much after 06:30

At Acton Town, Uber was estimating a 30 minute wait and the minicab was right there... though at £20 a head for 4 of us he was making out like a bandit

It certainly was champagnes in the plural though a 2:30 delay was rather painful.

Now waiting at MIA for sober colleague to pick up hire car and drive us 90 mins north...

​​​
TPRun likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: LH M+M
Eskimos baffled as Brits unveil 162 phrases for "can't get to work because of the snow"

Took me almost 4h for ~40km in public "transport" on monday - all hail to homeoffice :-)
Just hoping the inevitable icerrain/blackice wont hit me on Wednesday, flying out to HND
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
It's snowing so heavily here they have just closed the ski resort at the end of my road for too much snow.

It's now waist height...
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Eskimos baffled as Brits unveil 162 phrases for "can't get to work because of the snow"

Took me almost 4h for ~40km in public "transport" on monday - all hail to homeoffice :-)
Just hoping the inevitable icerrain/blackice wont hit me on Wednesday, flying out to HND
In 2009 when it snowed one Sunday night and London obviously shut down the next morning (looked very pretty yomping down the Uxbridge Road - no buses!) got to Shepherds Tube and hopped to Oxford Circus walked into the offices (ok 9.30 am) to find it nearly empty as my boss received calls from two colleagues who lived near me who simply couldn’t get in however hard they tried - my boss laughed and said I was in ( not popular the next day!). And then we were all went home by 2pm as they were expecting more snow storms!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by CharlotteC
....two colleagues who lived near me who simply couldn’t get in however hard they tried ....
Ah yes, phantom flakes strike again!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen

Ah yes, phantom flakes strike again!
Indeed! They were men...
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Drove through the Snowy Mountains this afternoon. Temperature briefly dropped below 25 Celsius. Luckily I was not in my shorts.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB

In 2009 when it snowed one Sunday night and London obviously shut down the next morning (looked very pretty yomping down the Uxbridge Road - no buses!) got to Shepherds Tube and hopped to Oxford Circus walked into the offices (ok 9.30 am) to find it nearly empty as my boss received calls from two colleagues who lived near me who simply couldn’t get in however hard they tried - my boss laughed and said I was in ( not popular the next day!). And then we were all went home by 2pm as they were expecting more snow storms!
I had a case of that, the trains from where I lived were running normally so didn't think anything of it and headed into the office. 2 hours later one of the directors got a phone call from one of his team who was claiming he could not get in as no trains. He lived 200m from me. He was told exact what his boss thought of his skiving.
CharlotteC likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

About to head to AMS for my 17:15 flight back to MAN. Strong winds forecast at both airports, so I'm not optimistic.

Booked a hotel at AMS just in case... and can be cancelled up to 18:00.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: BA GGL
Got really lucky out of BCN yesterday. Every BA flight bar one was delayed/departed late, with many several hours late. Despite a pretty bumpy descent, arrived only about 20mins late on stand at LHR. Phew.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)

I was the same although not going to Oxford Circus and when I got in there was no one else there. The boss had decided there was too little public transport running for people to get in so had told staff that the office was closed. Sadly my email was down at that point and no one had thought to text me. So I replenished my flask with hot chocolate and started to walk home again. Boss said I was either dedicated or mad.

A friend flying that day had booked a hotel room at LHR for the previous evening to make sure they could get to the terminal. Only to discover that the incoming flight had diverted and there would be no flight that day.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Mar 1, 2018 at 5:26 am
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
The 30th November 2010, on BA 1462 to Edinburgh, I had my record longest ever domestic flight.
STD: 19:30
Gate departure: 20:30
Landed: 21:45
Arrived at gate: 04:15
Delay: 06:30

We landed in a blizzard and taxied towards the terminal and stopped. Two aircraft landed and stopped behind us. The Captain explained that due to the snow, departure delays meant all gates were occupied and that the snow was too deep to risk stairs. Two aircraft were boarding, so expect 30 minute delay. In the 30 minutes, the airport closed the runway to all traffic and it did not reopen until 04:15. Fortunately, this was in the days of complimentary bars and as the aircraft was catered for the return, we basically had a lock-in.

As we exited the terminal along with the occupants of all three aircraft we found no public transport and a single taxi arriving every 10 minutes. Even though virtually everyone was going into the city, only one person refused to share his taxi. Staff were noticeable by their absence. My 8 am meeting was... tiring.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
The 30th November 2010
I remember 2010 very well and here is my snow story.

Flying BA to Mauritius and due to that terrible winter the whole of Edinburgh Airport had been mainly closed for 2 days previously and I was on the 3rd flight to Heathrow on the third day, the previous 2 morning flights had been cancelled and I was sweating buckets refreshing ba.com as it really was touch and go. The roads were dire and if it weren't for a friend of mine who had a 4 x 4 I would have never have gotten down the Edinburgh City Bypass as there were no taxis etc.

It was OK at Heathrow at that stage bit a few days after we arrived air travel in the UK was at a standstill and there I was basking in 29c heat for 2 weeks drinking cocktails. Probably the best holiday I have had to date and I was extremely fortunate to get away. IIRC the snow and ice lasted for 6 weeks solid.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who haven't read it, possibly the best trip report involving snow was written by eightblack. Set aside a while to read this - so perfect for a delay FNT-PNH (ie a long, long, way...)
wrp96, SaraJH, PAX_fips and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.