Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pass silver next month - waive 747 UD seat fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pass silver next month - waive 747 UD seat fee?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
What seats is it that a silver can select on 747 UD? I couldn't find this info by search or in the wiki.
Unless it has changed recently you can select any seat as Silver. The only restrictions on long haul are exit rows in Y and 1AK in First.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
I think it does. It's just the bassinet which is not available as a silver. I have 62A and 64A booked as a silver for a future trip.

I believe it's economy exit rows on longhaul and 1AK on 747 F which are Gold only until OLCI open.
Yes - I stand corrected as I was thinking about a JFK-LHR I did in Y booked before but flown after I became Gold and I could only get the exit row for free once I hit the magical 1500TP.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I would guess that UD seats will be available for your flight once you reach silver.
I just checked my return flight from JFK on April 3rd and it’s still mostly empty. The outbound not so much which is in two weeks but there are still 2 sets of UD pairs.
Working on this tiny sample size I think you will be OK. I agree with the previous posters - grab the availability while it’s there and book your seats once you hit silver. -
710 77345 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by PETER01
Silvers can choose any showing available seat on the UD bar 64A which is a bassinet ...
On some flights (although I don't know if this applies to the OP's) 60B can also be blocked.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mda03jb

If you don't hit Silver until the TP's from that flight credit then I don't think you'll qualify for a refund I'm afraid. You may be able to get money back for a return leg (if applicable) if Mrmutton's tactic works
Ok thanks and to MrMutton for the clarification, that makes sense , I thought it was too good to be true. Return is with IB so no charge for seat choice in J ( or elsewhere maybe).
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
On some flights (although I don't know if this applies to the OP's) 60B can also be blocked.
Yes but this is solely where it is reserved as a flight crew rest and will therefore never become available (to the public - the captain's wife is a different story!)
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MrMutton
They won’t waive but they will refund so book now, pay for the seats you want and then call back when you’re Silver. Note that silver does not get you the exit row - that is gold - so as long as you are not bothered about them you’re good to go!
I'm silver and I have been able to book any UD seat including 62K/A.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
Maybe I'll just book and UuA now then pray UD is available next month.
If you give us your dates, I'm sure one of us here will happily check what the current seating situation is, or you can PM me if you prefer.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:59 am

[QUOTE=Confus;29469889 the captain's wife is a different story!)[/QUOTE]

Or husband...
SaraJH likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Confus
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes but this is solely where it is reserved as a flight crew rest and will therefore never become available (to the public - the captain's wife is a different story!)
I have sometimes seen the 60B block lifted closer to the time of the flight. I don't know what the criteria are or how the whole thing works, but that is my empirical observation from any number of JNBs over the years.

For the purposes of the OP's question (which UD seats can I get), I don't think it actually matters whether the 60B block will ever be lifted on a particular flight. Just as getting 64A is not guaranteed (as it may be grabbed by a baby at some stage), getting 60B is not guaranteed. It's best to plan on taking other seats if possible.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
If it helps as a data point. Last year my parents (With no status) booked a surprise trip for the 3 of us in CW for my 40th birthday. Given it was a surprise they couldn’t use my gold status for seat selection.

They paid for UD seats both ways and, after my last normal business trip (2 days before our holiday) my PA gave my parents my BAEC number and, following a call, the seat selection fee was refunded - over £600 I think.

When I heard about this (obviously after the event) I was pleasantly surprised and impressed.

Hope this helps.
Newbtravelle likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
I think it does. It's just the bassinet which is not available as a silver. I have 62A and 64A booked as a silver for a future trip.

I believe it's economy exit rows on longhaul and 1AK on 747 F which are Gold only until OLCI open.
Same here. I was able to book 62A on a flight I'm taking in July.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Lists out a number of options you can select for the reason, and explicitly notes that if it is not one of the list, the paid seats are not eligible for refund.
Can I assume that upgrading a 2-4-1 award booking from CW (having paid for seat assignments) to F with Avios when/if availablilty opens up is covered by the option "After paying for an upgrade to a higher cabin"?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by SteveF
Can I assume that upgrading a 2-4-1 award booking from CW (having paid for seat assignments) to F with Avios when/if availablilty opens up is covered by the option "After paying for an upgrade to a higher cabin"?
Sorry, I've no idea A less generous reading could be that if you are using Avios, it's not a paid upgrade (c.f. how a paid upgrade gets you the upgraded TP, but an Avios one doesn't)

Perhaps someone has successfully reclaimed the fee in this circumstance and could comment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.