Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long haul, long weekend ..... where?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
A truly wonderful gesture, but as has been noted, the travel insurance could be problematic (to the extent you might not find an insurer you've heard of before willing to write the policy) especially for the US with a terminal prognosis. I would urge you not to take any shortcuts here.

Is there nothing special you can do in the EU where the EHIC would provide a level of cover? I'm thinking a world class restaurant or a weekend somewhere really fancy in the Italian Lakes, a Belmond hotel etc. You'll be spending > £1000 on taxes for the two redemption tickets and the 200,000 Avios could be converted into about £1,000 worth of hotel bookings. You can do something far more exclusive than a CW flight and still have a wonderful time.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Cape Town is doable and no jet lag.....
... no baths and no showers.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
A truly wonderful gesture, but as has been noted, the travel insurance could be problematic (to the extent you might not find an insurer you've heard of before willing to write the policy) especially for the US with a terminal prognosis. I would urge you not to take any shortcuts here.

Is there nothing special you can do in the EU where the EHIC would provide a level of cover? I'm thinking a world class restaurant or a weekend somewhere really fancy in the Italian Lakes, a Belmond hotel etc. You'll be spending > £1000 on taxes for the two redemption tickets and the 200,000 Avios could be converted into about £1,000 worth of hotel bookings. You can do something far more exclusive than a CW flight and still have a wonderful time.
Thanks for the idea but she is not really a posh hotel/gourmet type of girl. She likes flying and always envies us when we fly off to SA in Club so I know she’d appreciate that experience more than the hotel/food one. I’ll see her next week and discuss it but thank you everyone for your suggestions. Food for thought.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:27 pm

If you are heading to the Middle East do check that she can take all of her medication (particularly pain meds) without issue.
P.S. what an absolutely lovely thing to do for a friend!
memesweeper likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:16 pm

Wow, what a nice idea. I hadn't read this thread because the title didn't jump out immediately. What a nice thing to do.

I am going to offer my miles to a person I know who is ill and hope some family can visit.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
BKK? SIN?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:29 pm

What a lovely friend you are and you've had some great recommendations. One from a different angle from me, what about the BA Magic - a very LONG shot but you never know!

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-world/bamagic
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I actually didn't realise the Intercontinental was on the beach! I've never stayed there, but been a few times for concerts and Trader Vics.
There is a little rear gate straight onto the beach. Plus 2 pools, spa and ok food. The rooms are not bad, but as I always get upgraded to a large suite it would be churlish to complain.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marshy11
What a lovely friend you are and you've had some great recommendations. One from a different angle from me, what about the BA Magic - a very LONG shot but you never know!

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-world/bamagic
Wow, what a suggestion, thank you. Nothing ventured,nothing gained as they say and I may as well give it a go. My friend worked all her adult life as a Carer and was so looking forward to retirement and when she finally got there ...bang....that happened within a year. Life can be so cruel.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I would say Muscat. A great place, good hotels, close enough to enjoy the Club Experience. If there are availability issues go one way into a Dubai/ Abu Dhabi and even stopover there for a day then take a one way flight on Emirates or Oman or Swiss air and return from Oman.. you will not need an Omani visa on arrival if you do that.
Also, Muscat is £550 in WT+ at the moment so OP could then upgrade easily and cheaply. Maybe use some more Avios to visit elsewhere in the ME?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Travel insurance for someone like that would be prohibitve. There could be complications that would require hospitalization.

I would instead fly somewhere in Europe where you are covered.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amanx
Travel insurance for someone like that would be prohibitve. There could be complications that would require hospitalization.

I would instead fly somewhere in Europe where you are covered.
A very good point, thank you. She has done a bit of travelling with some fellow sufferers ie., a cruise in the Med and another Hurtigruten which would both be covered by her EHIC. When I see her perhaps we should find out about that before anything else.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Bermuda ??
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The USA Insurance issue can be tricky.
When SWMBO had breast cancer diagnosed, shortly after the first set of operations, but before the worst of the chemicals/etc., a break was required. Florida made sense to us. The Insurance Co was very co-operative. As long as we made no claims for anything to do with the cancer, they would continue cover. Not all are that nice!

BA were much less co-operative, but that is another story.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
The USA Insurance issue can be tricky.
When SWMBO had breast cancer diagnosed, shortly after the first set of operations, but before the worst of the chemicals/etc., a break was required. Florida made sense to us. The Insurance Co was very co-operative. As long as we made no claims for anything to do with the cancer, they would continue cover. Not all are that nice!

BA were much less co-operative, but that is another story.
I organised a NYC trip in J for a friend in the same boat- insurance was doable, as long as the cancer was not covered...if she's pretty stable she should be fine x Best wishes with organising,lovely thing to do ..my friend talked about travelling in J for ages and it was before security got all silly, so the skipper personally came down and welcomed her onboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.