Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled flights today from JER

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Cancelled flights today from JER

So my flight from JER to LGW this evening has been cancelled do to weather on the island (fog) and I'm successfully rebooked onto a flight tomorrow afternoon. I know all the information about claiming for hotels and taxis etc, but I wont be needing either of these.

I have incurred two expenses due to this and I was wondering whether I can expect BA to refund them as I can't find specific info on the Delayed or Canceled part of ba.com. The first is parking at LGW, which for a 24hr delay will be £45 as I'm in the short stay, the other is £25 for a day's additional rental car hire, which is about the same as two taxis from the airport this evening and to the airport tomorrow if I'd given the car back on time.

Any of the FT collective wisdom is much appreciated.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Hello Nick! I’m at the other end. I was on the BA2774 which was cancelled. I called the Gold line as soon as the app showed cancelled and was re-booked on the BA2772 tommorow, which wasn’t bad.

a colleague was also on BA2776 and also cancelled. We’ve decided to bypass the wait at the airport and booked a reasonable priced hotel in central London. I’ve done this in the past and managed to claim back. My colleague is only a Blue Member, will he also be able to claim back?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:53 am
Original Poster

I can tell you from looking out of the window it's very foggy!!!!

Originally Posted by mmogdan
We’ve decided to bypass the wait at the airport and booked a reasonable priced hotel in central London. I’ve done this in the past and managed to claim back. My colleague is only a Blue Member, will he also be able to claim back?
For the hotel the perceived wisdom is if it's under £200/night then you'll have no issues with BA reimbursing for all passengers irrespective of status.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
I have incurred two expenses due to this and I was wondering whether I can expect BA to refund them as I can't find specific info on the Delayed or Canceled part of ba.com. The first is parking at LGW, which for a 24hr delay will be £45 as I'm in the short stay, the other is £25 for a day's additional rental car hire, which is about the same as two taxis from the airport this evening and to the airport tomorrow if I'd given the car back on time.
You definitely won't get the car parking fees back, that's consequential losses and would be for insurance or self-insurance. I doubt you would get the addtionial car hire back, though I think that's a greyer area. If you want to be certain, then you would hand the hire back back and then can claim up to £50 in incremental taxi fares over those you would have had anyway.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
I can tell you from looking out of the window it's very foggy!!!!
I see on my Facebook timeline various friends who have been rebooked for Wednesday. This must have been an expensive day for BA!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks CWS, I figured as much on the parking which is the annoying one, but the car hire may just be a case of computer says no, even if it's less cost to BA than taxis that they'd pay for anyway.

I decided to extend the car hire anyway as I'll use the car tomorrow beyond just going to the airport, so if nothing comes of a claim then so be it, I'll still have gained the use from it anyway.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmogdan
I see on my Facebook timeline various friends who have been rebooked for Wednesday. This must have been an expensive day for BA!
This happens relatively often on the Channel Islands, it's a risk you take flying here. Some of my colleagues have been stuck on island before and now I'm half way in the process of relocating I'm sure I'll get used to it. The C.I. resident FTers probably see this all the time!
T8191 and mmogdan like this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
I’ve had similar delays coming back to Heathrow, popped into the office at the car park and explained flight cancelled on return. They have waived the additional fees.
I may have been lucky, but worth asking at Gatwick.

alternatively, book an extra 24hours on line as may be cheaper than drive up price. Again go to car park office, explain bought second booking nd they should join the two together and let you on your way.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
This happens relatively often on the Channel Islands, it's a risk you take flying here. Some of my colleagues have been stuck on island before and now I'm half way in the process of relocating I'm sure I'll get used to it. The C.I. resident FTers probably see this all the time!
Some FTers were on this fog-affected “give up and go home” BA flight a couple of weeks ago ....

A quick splash & dash back at LGW, and in on the second attempt, 3 hours late.
Attached Images  
davm666 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Looking at flightradar this morning it looks like some optimistic flights took off from the mainland earlier.

But at least these got on the ground

FlyBe SOU>JER
https://www.flightradar24.com/BCI661/1079c510

BA2770 LGW>JER
https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW70Y/1079c747
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:33 am
Original Poster

I worked out how to do a picture for the BA flight

Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Last time I overstayed my parking at Gatwick by 24hrs due to irrops I went onto the parking service hut next to the barriers and with a bit of banter (blamed the 'wrong kind' of ATC in France - they had a strike) explained that I was a little late collecting my car. The customer service rep with a few deft strikes of their keyboard and with a smile handed me my exit ticket without asking for payment. I did not ask them to waive anything.

I was gobsmacked and yet impressed that the staff were empowered to bring a smile to their customers faces like this. This was just under a year ago, not sure if the Gatwick charm offensive is still working but its worth a go.
nick.t.davies likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet
Last time I overstayed my parking at Gatwick by 24hrs due to irrops I went onto the parking service hut next to the barriers and with a bit of banter (blamed the 'wrong kind' of ATC in France - they had a strike) explained that I was a little late collecting my car. The customer service rep with a few deft strikes of their keyboard and with a smile handed me my exit ticket without asking for payment. I did not ask them to waive anything.

I was gobsmacked and yet impressed that the staff were empowered to bring a smile to their customers faces like this. This was just under a year ago, not sure if the Gatwick charm offensive is still working but its worth a go.
Thanks for that information. Was the the hut by the exit barriers towards the fuel station?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Yep, by the barriers, there are some parking spaces outside it. I was on a prepaid parking booking so I had obviously overstayed. Good luck!
nick.t.davies likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Still bad this morning, as the runway webcam shows >>> https://www.gov.je/Weather/Pages/webcam.aspx

Arrivals all delayed/diverted as well >>> http://www.jerseyairport.com/flight/Pages/Arrivals.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.