Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight cancelled 10 days ago but still bookable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight cancelled 10 days ago but still bookable

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, AVIS Preferred Plus
Question Flight cancelled 10 days ago but still bookable

Hello Frequent Flyer.

I have a question concerning my options and rights. I am BAEC Bronze right now and will be silver after the flight I will talk about. I booked a multi city round trip to the US in CE/CW in January with the return flight on July 29th IAD-LHR-HAM. BA rescheduled my first return flight already and now 10 days ago cancelled my flight BA0962 LHR-HAM. They rebooked me on BA0974 which leaves 2hrs 55min later, giving me a total time in LHR of over 6.5 hrs. Interestingly I am still able to book the original flight BA0962 online. I checked every day and did not contact BA so far, just in case I ll get rebooked on the original flight. Nothing happened so far. Any explaination why this flights is still bookable?

The flights were:

BA0216 IAD-LHR
18:45 - 07:10

BA0962 LHR-HAM
10:40 - 13:20

Flights are now:

BA0216 IAD-LHR
18:30 - 06:55

BA0974 LHR-HAM
13:35 - 16:15

Additionally, If I understand EC 261 right I can get a compensation of 250 Euro, because its a flight under 1500km, eventhough the first leg is transatlantic, and delayed by more than 2 hours right? Plus I am allowed to rebook my flight to different destination becaue it got canceled? I would actually prefer to fly to HAJ instead of HAM, giving me only an overlay of a little bit than 1 hr. I just booked a flight to HAM because it was a good CW deal in januar.

Make a long story short: Can I rebook to a different airport and get the compensation? If so, the easiest way is to call them and send an email for the refund?

Thank you all for your help and I am sorry for asking, but would like to make sure I understand all those rules and regulations right.

Last edited by Maze13; Feb 20, 2018 at 9:32 pm
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:20 pm

For a cancellation this far out there will be no compensation.

Without knowing the different arrival/departure times its hard to comment on the rest - perhaps if the first flight was changed the connection time was no longer sufficient?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simons1
For a cancellation this far out there will be no compensation.

Without knowing the different arrival/departure times its hard to comment on the rest - perhaps if the first flight was changed the connection time was no longer sufficient?
Really? That's frustrating.

I added the flights to the original post. Sorry I forgot that. Layover can not be the reason.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Maze13
Really? That's frustrating.

I added the flights to the original post. Sorry I forgot that. Layover can not be the reason.
there is no EU261 compensation for a flight cancelled mor more than 14 days before departure.

as to your original flight still being on sale the only way to check,if it really is operating and to possibly get back on it is to call BA. Perhaps it was really cancelled and then reinstated at a later date.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

there is no EU261 compensation for a flight cancelled mor more than 14 days before departure.

as to your original flight still being on sale the only way to check,if it really is operating and to possibly get back on it is to call BA. Perhaps it was really cancelled and then reinstated at a later date.
Ok. Thank you guys. I missed that part.

Can be closed
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:51 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
You’re actually in luck here - if you ring BA and tell them the proposed flight is not acceptable, but that you’d be prepared to fly to HAJ instead to lower the connection time, as it’s within 300 miles they should be able to move you for free.

As the reservation stands, that would still leave you having to get to HAM to start your journey. If you intended to drive you would also need to ask BA to change the start point. You might meet greater resistance on this, but I’d think there’s still a reasonable chance they’ll agree in the circumstances.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:57 pm

I think it is cancelled- don't forget the LHR-HAM flight will be on Monday 30th

BA usually trims trips out during the high summer season when business demand drops and I imagine they'll be more aggressive this year with a larger Gatwick operation to support

changing to Hannover should be OK, give them a call
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Isn't HAM one of the routes that's being "outsourced"? Maybe the original didn't have CE?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
And bear in mind you can also request a different IAD-LON flight now, too.

Just a 5 minute change in the flight time allows you to move your flight +/- 3 days, so long as there are seats available in the same cabin. Doesn't even have to be the same fare bucket.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Just a 5 minute change in the flight time allows you to move your flight +/- 3 days, so long as there are seats available in the same cabin. Doesn't even have to be the same fare bucket.
I thought it was 2 hours?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Maze13
Hello Frequent Flyer.

I have a question concerning my options and rights. I am BAEC Bronze right now and will be silver after the flight I will talk about. I booked a multi city round trip to the US in CE/CW in January with the return flight on July 29th IAD-LHR-HAM. BA rescheduled my first return flight already and now 10 days ago cancelled my flight BA0962 LHR-HAM. They rebooked me on BA0974 which leaves 2hrs 55min later, giving me a total time in LHR of over 6.5 hrs. Interestingly I am still able to book the original flight BA0962 online. I checked every day and did not contact BA so far, just in case I ll get rebooked on the original flight. Nothing happened so far. Any explaination why this flights is still bookable?

The flights were:

BA0216 IAD-LHR
18:45 - 07:10

BA0962 LHR-HAM
10:40 - 13:20

Flights are now:

BA0216 IAD-LHR
18:30 - 06:55

BA0974 LHR-HAM
13:35 - 16:15

Additionally, If I understand EC 261 right I can get a compensation of 250 Euro, because its a flight under 1500km, eventhough the first leg is transatlantic, and delayed by more than 2 hours right? Plus I am allowed to rebook my flight to different destination becaue it got canceled? I would actually prefer to fly to HAJ instead of HAM, giving me only an overlay of a little bit than 1 hr. I just booked a flight to HAM because it was a good CW deal in januar.

Make a long story short: Can I rebook to a different airport and get the compensation? If so, the easiest way is to call them and send an email for the refund?

Thank you all for your help and I am sorry for asking, but would like to make sure I understand all those rules and regulations right.
I think may be a minimum connecting time issue ie theres no longer enough time between flights for a valid connection.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Since the flight is cancelled (I also can't see it on 30/7), you can cancel the whole trip if you wish and therefore rebook to HAJ if you prefer ... if the current pricing is acceptable. It may even have gone down: have you checked?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I thought it was 2 hours?
No. Over 2 hours entitles you to a full refund. I do however correct my post to being +/- 2 days, not the 3 days I cited.

If this does count as a cancellation then a whole other set of rules apply. I'd post the link to them, but last time I did that the moral police chewed my ear off...
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No. Over 2 hours entitles you to a full refund. I do however correct my post to being +/- 2 days, not the 3 days I cited.

If this does count as a cancellation then a whole other set of rules apply. I'd post the link to them, but last time I did that the moral police chewed my ear off...
It can sometimes be 3 days - if there is not a daily service for example, or if customer guidelines are issued (and in reality if it got escalated to a team lead, if there was a good argument around it). This is for any time change even 5 minutes and if there has been equipment change the replacement aircraft often calculates to slightly different speeds. Two hours is for the refund but there is a nuance there, the conditions of carriage does not actually give a time frame for this, it just says "we make a significant change to the scheduled departure time of your flight;" and doesn't directly define significant, or significant to whom. However internally BA uses a two hour margin for this, but if it was less than 2 hours and it was "significant" to the traveller, I believe that could be argued through in the passenger's favour. And yes, cancellation brings other options on to the table.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:44 am

Ah yes, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.