Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Legal or media route?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:46 pm

My two cents as a investigator for not relevant company

You need to decide what you want, if your looking for them to say yes were sorry and end of then you need to be clear to them with that and in honesty more then likely the declining email will have that.

If your looking for Avios or compensation, firstly have in your mind what you want and ensure you dont waste too much time on it then needed.

If your going down the legal route or want compensation then
- Ask them for a copy of the report and you require the evidance to be returned to you, more then likely they have thrown away and will try advise they cannot. The flight report additionally and any investigation undertaken or interviews to discredit the cabin crew. They wont like and will probably reject, if you want to be a real ..., as it under the Data Protection Act and they will have to disclose subject to a possible £10 fee.

- Once you have the report from the CSA, remind them that for any investigation, the information provided on the outset is the most reliable and that shows the CSA reported the find and therefore for them to decline it was not, unless the food report with pics shows it was not as claimed then you dont have much of a claim otherwise you do.

- Remain composed and dont do the I will report to social media or I will get solicitors, when someone tells that to my teams, I tell the staff let them do what they want, legal issues are not treated equally and not always a PR issue.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Raffles
Do people really complain about bits of porcelain in meals?
Is this a serious post? This is something that most certainly should be complained about and something that the responsible parties would want to hear about! It is not just a safety concern - even from the most self-serving perspective, a huge liability issue for the foodservice company. Only the most recklessly and poorly run company would not want to know about broken dishware/glassware fragments that found their way into served food.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:22 pm

Why is it always mothers or grandads at severe risk? The old are generally less bothered than the young about bits of porcelain or being adrift!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:30 pm

In the minority here but I understand where the OP is coming from. You can no longer have a sensible conversation with BA. Their contact centres are beyond poor these days.

Two years ago I contacted BA with the only complaint I ever made to them in 10 years of flying with them. Maybe 10 - 20 international flights a year. A mixture of J & Y bookings. I was given a £30 BA electronic voucher as compensation. I thought a£200 voucher based on what happened would have been about right. I was peed off to say the least but decided I couldn't be bothered to make a big deal. Instead I would quietly let my feet do the talking. So I said nothing back to them. Took the £30 e-voucher. Then changed my travel to another airline. Job done

Here's the kicker. A month before the e-voucher expired I tried to use it. It didn't work. I contacted BA. Endless emails, calls etc. No joy. All I wanted was the £30 e-voucher replaced with one that would work. Nothing more. They kept sending copy and paste nonsense about "how to use a voucher" or explain that "they couldn't offer additional compensation". I didn't want anything extra.

After about 6 months of this and the best part of 15 contacts I had enough. They wound me up so much that I submitted a legal claim. Never done it before and never hopefully never again. I only did it because - same as OP - BA drove me mad with their "we don't give a "****" anymore approach to service".

Two weeks ago the court awarded me £250 plus legal costs. It would have saved them a lot of time, effort and money if they just gave me a replacement for the £30 e-voucher that did not work.

And Yes I feel better for doing it - but be happy never to have to use the courts again ever and just get on with life!
SK, EsherFlyer, Kgmm77 and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Do people really complain about bits of porcelain in meals? Perhaps having kids...
I don't really understand this? I don't think there was any mention of a complaint about a 'gross' factor like finding bugs or hair. It is a safety/injury issue.

Surely the very fact of having kids means you can put yourself in the OP's shoes - if your child was eating a meal on BA and there were shards of porcelain in his meal, with potential to be swallowed, you wouldn't care?

I doubt that very much. There is no reason for it to be any different for the OP's parent.

Last edited by noFODplease; Feb 20, 2018 at 3:40 pm
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
On further reflection, I don’t believe Raffles was being serious.

Either way, his post was very strange.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:13 pm

Definitely go down the subject access request route next - it will cost you £10, but will be interesting to see what discussions they have had about you and your case.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:27 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Do people really complain about bits of porcelain in meals? Perhaps having kids has made me soft (once a small kid has decided to join you in the shower in the morning and then taken a dump on your feet, your definition of gross tends to change a bit) but hairs, small insects etc in meals are just day-today run-of-the-mill stuff for me and would not cause me major concern.
Presumably if the porcelain was in the meal of one of your kids, and they ate it not knowing what it was, you'd feel a tad differently?

M
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GM1985

From the OP, it would appear that the source of frustration was that the no-doubt sincere apologies of the cabin crew were followed up by Customer Relations with a response that basically said “Our investigation shows there was no problem.”

It’s not clear whether this was a response to a follow up by the OP after the flight, or simply a response to the report filed by the CSD. Either way, the implication is that the OP, or CSD, or both, were telling tales.

Which is unfortunate as this seems like one of those situations where a genuine, well-worded response from Customer Relations that said “mea culpa, thank you for bringing this to our attention so we can ensure it doesn’t happen again, we are pleased your mother did not suffer any serious injury and we’re truly sorry this happened” could have easily resolved this.
That suggests to me that what OP has a different view of what the cabin crew wrote or that an investigation did not support OP's assertion about what happened to his mother.

That is a factual dispute and OP may be miffed that BA does not believe him, but that may well be where things stand. Nobody here was there either and OP's mother has apparently not complained, so perhaps BA is correct.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I think the salient point here is the lack of evidence. If you had kept the item the source could have been tracked through the production chain. Having given it to BA is akin to giving a robber the only copy of the CCTV in which he's seen robbing. BA will probably have disposed of it and the cabin crew will probably "not remember properly" for fear of losing opportunities at work. A good brief, and trust me when I say BA would have a good brief, could easily put doubt in a court's mind about where the porcelain came from or even if it existed. Also, there is no damage to person or goods, only risk and mild distress, therefore any compensation would be nugatory, and you may not even get costs if you are seen to be litigious. The press might be interested, but other than a "letter to the author" or similar, it's unlikely they'd publish an article that makes them potential victims of a libel suit.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I think you can't really take this any further other than with a threat of taking it to the press in the hope of getting a few Avios. BA will not apologise unreservedly as that can be taken as admission of liability.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Call the CBC in Canada. They love this kinda stuff with Air Canada. Since it's a Commonwealth carrier they'd probably chat with ya.

I can't believe this has happened twice though, what a strange situation. Def should've taken pictures no matter what your intent was, that was your proof, without it, sadly it's he said she said.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:09 am

Do people really complain about bits of porcelain in meals? Perhaps having kids has made me soft (once a small kid has decided to join you in the shower in the morning and then taken a dump on your feet, your definition of gross tends to change a bit) but hairs, small insects etc in meals are just day-today run-of-the-mill stuff for me and would not cause me major concern.
I don’t understand your post at all. Yes, I would complain about porcelain being in any food served to a member of my family on a flight. Porcelain isn’t gross it’s sharp so I fail to see what relevance there is to a toddler jumping in the shower with you. Your post appears to be an attempt to trivialise the OPs issue and yet your own blog reads as a litany of complaints against hotels giving you the “smallest possible upgrade” due to your status (probably obtained through a match), having promotional material in the room from the developer or your eggs royale arriving cold. It seems you’re quite willing to complain when it suits your purpose but if it’s somebody else you just trivialise it. Not exactly objective journalism eh?
switch007 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:41 am

Of,course they do, and I would too. Consumption of porcelain is potentially dangerous. If,the hair and insects in YOUR meal, are compliments of your kid, that's gross, but your choice. Personally, I prefer not to have these items in my food.

In terms of your child in the shower, your child, your house, his "dump" -- no comparison.

( BTW, I'm responding but not 100% sure you aren't being facetious in your post.)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I’ve now progressed from having doubts as whether Raffles was being serious (although I’d say there are far better topics for a bit of a joke than the possibility of a passenger coming to harm - AND whilst onboard an aircraft with only limited access to help - from swallowing a jagged piece of porcelain ......) and I’m actually wondering whether his FT a/c has somehow been hacked ........

It just doesn’t sound like his brand of mindset or usual approach to travel-related issues.

Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
Out of curiosity, whether a joke or not, where would you draw the line? If not glass, porcelain, hair or insects, how about syringes or animal excrement? Just trying to find your tipping point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.