Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Roll aboard in Aisle after seat belt sign goes off?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM

Flew this week on a European flight A320 aircraft. Seat in Row 2.

Upon arriving in LHR, the plane was at the gate, seat belt signed turned off.

Then I stood up to retrieve my Tumi 22" roll aboard bag and placed in the aisle and I was also standing in the aisle with by bag waiting for the door to open and deplane.

Cabin crew from the back came up carrying another bag for a passenger with a tight connection. I tried to move back into my row and turn my bag side ways for him to pass. Cabin crew wasn't happy with me as the space was narrow. He told me I wasn't allowed to put my bag in the aisle because it was a safety hazard. If we had to evacuate it will be blocking the aisle.

I was totally shocked by his comment. Upon deplaning I went up to the CSM and that Cabin Crew to ask again. The CSM didn't take sides but the Cabin Crew continued to say I was in the wrong and he would report me.

I spoke to the CSD on my connecting long haul flight and asked what is the rule? They said after seat belt sign is off it is no problem for me to do what I did.

My first time encountering this.

Any thoughts or comments? Should I write in to BA... will they even care? If so who should I write to?

To state, I never shouted, used bad words at the cabin crew and I'm not looking for any compensation. But I don't feel cabin crew should be able to say things that are not true and be so strong about it.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Cojones.
DYKWIA, hugolover and golfmad like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
That is the first time I have ever heard that. It is very bad form for a member of CC to abuse "Safety" just to justify their own view of the world.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by bagold
Should I write in to BA... will they even care? If so who should I write to?
No, no and no-one

Ultimately, BA won't do anything but I'm not sure I would give it more than a glancing thought as I trudged up the jetbridge. Shouldn't happen, of course, but just one of those things in life.
jjmiller69 and NeilA like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You should have encouraged him to report it.....
EsherFlyer and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

If the plane is parked, seatbelt sign is off and your waiting to get off then there's nothing wrong with you waiting in the aisle with your small case on the floor. A bit of a cheek saying he'd report you!
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Probably would have been fine if it was a Samsonite...
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:21 am

But even before the seat belt light goes off people are up from their seats, getting their bags down and blocking everything!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
No, no and no-one

Ultimately, BA won't do anything but I'm not sure I would give it more than a glancing thought as I trudged up the jetbridge. Shouldn't happen, of course, but just one of those things in life.

Exactly. Welcome to dealing with people, 101. Sometimes people are terrible for whatever reason. You just have to let it go and roll off your shoulder.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:43 am

You weren’t the only person standing in the aisle were you?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

Any thoughts or comments?
There are only two ways to deal with a situation like this. You either have to call out the crew member at the time or let it go. You're now at the stage where you should just let it go and forget about it.
Steve in Olympia and englisha like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Then I stood up to retrieve my Tumi 22" roll aboard bag and placed in the aisle and I was also standing in the aisle with by bag waiting for the door to open and deplane.
Were you the only person on that flight who had done that? I thought everyone does this. If I'm in an aisle seat, and there's space, I'll get my bag out when the seatbelt sign goes off.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Never seen anyone chastised before, but have seen crew apparently favouring 'friends' to help them deplane before others. Poor show, but there's not queerer than folk.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Ignore it and move on with life. The notion that BA does anything other than send cut & paste emails is naive. Not worth the electricity it takes to charge a device to send an email.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:30 am

Typical BABS style comment. However I agree, best ignored. You won't achieve anything by contacting the airline apart from winding yourself up at the canned response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.