Wiki Posts
Search

BA F to the Middle East (AUH specific)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
BA F to the Middle East (AUH specific)

We have just completed another round-trip to AUH in BA F (good fares from the sale last year).
This isn't going to be another comparison or moan about BA v ME3 but have they enhanced away the Arabic Coffee and dates which used to offered before take-off? In 4 recent legs this has not been offered and there was no reason such as a rushed departure.
Also noticeable was the lack of any Arabic crew or announcements on board.
Finally, is there a worse F lounge in the system than that offered in AUH? I mean, a couple of dark rooms with not enough seating unless you want to sit in the 'business centre', a couple of tureens with hot food (biryani actually quite nice and better than food on board) and a manned bar. No separate F section or any form of table service.
Given the horrible departure time AUH-LHR this is definitely one where you should eat a proper dinner at home/hotel and leave your arrival at the airport until as late as possible. There is little if any vestige of a proper 'premium' service at AUH. Food on board is poor so crash out after take-off and eat a proper breakfast in CCR/Arrivals. At least the 789 is quieter than the horrible G-ZZZZs that used to fly down there.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
We have just completed another round-trip to AUH in BA F (good fares from the sale last year).
This isn't going to be another comparison or moan about BA v ME3 but have they enhanced away the Arabic Coffee and dates which used to offered before take-off? In 4 recent legs this has not been offered and there was no reason such as a rushed departure.
Also noticeable was the lack of any Arabic crew or announcements on board.
Finally, is there a worse F lounge in the system than that offered in AUH? I mean, a couple of dark rooms with not enough seating unless you want to sit in the 'business centre', a couple of tureens with hot food (biryani actually quite nice and better than food on board) and a manned bar. No separate F section or any form of table service.
Given the horrible departure time AUH-LHR this is definitely one where you should eat a proper dinner at home/hotel and leave your arrival at the airport until as late as possible. There is little if any vestige of a proper 'premium' service at AUH. Food on board is poor so crash out after take-off and eat a proper breakfast in CCR/Arrivals. At least the 789 is quieter than the horrible G-ZZZZs that used to fly down there.
This would be a shame if they have been enhanced away. We had the delicious dates, coffee etc in November on the AUH route in F.

Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Finally, is there a worse F lounge in the system than that offered in AUH?
TLV
makin'miles and mda03jb like this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:22 am

To be honest, I've noticed more Arabic speaking crew on the route in the last year/year and a half. It would be a shame if the Arabic coffee is gone....maybe it' more a case of knowing how to brew it (?).

being AUH based I used to be of the same opinion about the "lounge", but since I usually travel on BA from here on my own, I just grab a stool at the bar and have a couple of glasses of champagne. Look out for the fish curry. It's there maybe 8 times out of 10. It's excellent. But yeah, I suppose its not an F Lounge really is it.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I noticed coffee & dates missing about three weeks ago LHR-DOH-LHR. They were there a couple of months earlier on the same route.

It’s a nice to have, but if I am honest this one doesn’t bother me too much, with this exception: it’s indicative of “cost cutting is in our DNA”, and therefore another reason to consider a competitor. I seriously doubt “savings” such as these willl offset the plump salaries of the bean counters who are employed to come up with such wheezes

I’m sure they’ll find a way to call it an “enhancement”.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:41 am

I'm no fan of Arabic coffee but do like good quality dates. I agree this kind of tailored touch to the service is what should set F apart. It's a shame if it has been scrapped.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: NA
Interesting observation on the AUH Lounge. It has recently undegone a refresh as had CCR, so not quite as bad as it was.
I am taking my 12 year old to AUG in F in March - just hoping there will be something decent for him to eat and he enjoys the experience.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
I've seen the tea on an F sector less than 2 weeks ago on Instagram
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by teledude
I've seen the tea on an F sector less than 2 weeks ago on Instagram
It is specifically the coffee that was I referring to i.e. served from Arabic Coffee pots in little cups prior to departure along with dates. It is a traditional greeting that BA also provided in F on routes to the Gulf for as long as I can remember. Sadly the 'Afternoon Tea' service is still alive and well ex-LHR - the last lot of cakes I had were so sweet they made my teeth hurt Some well chosen savouries (Samosas, Kibbeh etc) would be nicer.

Last edited by Betteronacamel; Feb 18, 2018 at 6:19 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: BA; LH; AF
FWIW, I flew LHR-AUH, in F, on 04Feb. I didn't notice any Arabic being spoken, but they did serve Arabic coffee, though no dates were on offer.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
The AUH lounge is only a business class lounge. I agree it’s an absolute zoo at that time of night and not worth turning up to the airport any earlier than needed. I don’t mind the meal on the plane. But it’s very late to be eating.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:54 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
We just got back from AUH and used the lounge there. It was busy but once we found seating, I thought what was on offer was very good. As a J Lounge, I thought it was much better than Galleries Club...

Champagne on offer at the bar - can't remember the brand but not one I've heard of before- tasted fine though.
Full hot and cold buffet including starters, tasty Biryani and Arabic meat dishes and a good selection of desserts. I enjoyed the Arabic mousse and baklava.
Food presentation was good and it didn't look like bowls of slop you get in the LHR lounges
We only had 30 min in the AUH lounge as we stayed in the hotel for as long as possible before coming to the airport. However, we were able to have a decent meal at the lounge in advance of the flight home.

Wrt to dates and Arabic coffee in F, on the LHR-AUH, we were at the front of Club and they definitely had that service in F. Can't comment on the way back AUH-LHR as we were in WT+
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Following up Vorno123's post, I did get a press release from Plaza Premium, who look after the Al Dhabi lounge, to the effect that they had refurbished and extended the lounge, with effect from the end of January 2018. This doesn't quite tie in with the OP's experience unless it crossed over the dates concerned, or if the refurb isn't complete. However the non presence of a First specific lounge is pretty much the norm outside the main hubs unfortunately. The lounge is also available to Priority Pass holders, who can also use the Al Reem lounge, as well as the Diamond Lounge in the VIP Terminal (if you get that far!).

Refurbished Plaza Premium Lounge ? Al Dhabi Now Opens at Abu Dhabi International Airport | Press Releases | Media Centre | Abu Dhabi Airports
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:13 am

I can confirm the refurb is fully complete.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Arabic coffee has not been removed and should be served with the dates.
Arabic speaking crew have been removed from the DXB route which is with WW crew and the AUH, DOH, MCT which are MF crew.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by Can I help you; Feb 20, 2018 at 4:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.