Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A rare First flight & far from impressed......

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A rare First flight & far from impressed......

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Fair enough if that was your experience. My treatment on and off board has always been good (or I made it good - diversion to NCL due to de-icing cock-ups? Let's spend the budget and book a suite and drinks until early morning. ; Non functioning IFE - Chat in the galley - funnily enough I find a lot of people are interested in chatting, sometimes I wish F didn't have beds, but recliners and the saved space could be used as smoking lounge for whisky and cigars.... wishful thinking I know!)
It's always interesting to look to the left when you get posts like this - CCR/GGL. It does seem that top status customers get the good service, whereas the likes of the OP get the sloppy seconds.

Do BA over prioritise looking after the "high value" passengers?

Edit - Just noticed OP is a Gold, so ignore
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It's always interesting to look to the left when you get posts like this - CCR/GGL. It does seem that top status customers get the good service, whereas the likes of the OP get the sloppy seconds.
I would also argue there is a bit of rose tinted spectacles/Stockholm syndrome for CCR/GGL members, who invariably have much more experience on BA versus other carriers, so this is their 'norm', therefore accepted as 'good'. Those who travel on a variety of carriers know that there is better out there.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by All She Wrote
Interesting, must have been my friend from AC that I was talking to about it. So on ww and mf, the bid allocation is just completely random? Surely there must be some kind of priority for allocation? Rostering nightmare otherwise I'd imagine!
While crew can bid for routes I think the seniority aspect only applies when it comes to - on WW at least - choice of working position.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I would also argue there is a bit of rose tinted spectacles/Stockholm syndrome for CCR/GGL members, who invariably have much more experience on BA versus other carriers, so this is their 'norm', therefore accepted as 'good'. Those who travel on a variety of carriers know that there is better out there.
Well no. Experience on other airlines is irrelevant when discussing a single experience of a BA's product. In any event, the vast majority of GGLs on here have earned that status largely by flying on the cheap on AA and QR TP runs.

Nothing the OP has complained of has any relevance to flying other airlines. What he experienced is unacceptable and should never happen - whether he's flown on other airlines or not. You say this is BA's norm, well that is not my experience of taking many, many flights on BA. There is nothing 'rose tinted' about that, just plain, honest fact.

If, as you assert, this was the BA norm you can bet your bottom dollar that we'd be reading far more complaints about BA First than we do.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I often think these complaints get nothing other then the standard canned response. Attach a screen shot of you cancelling further flights in F with the email, and email them to CS, then once thats fails, forward them higher. I think TRUE demonstrated revenue loss is probably the only thing that will have any hope of grabbing any attention.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Yes in Y too, we record the number of customers refused their first choice, in Y it happens 99% of the time as we are loaded just to 100% but in J 120% and in F 140% so less likely.
Do you know the percentage loading in WT+?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Well no. Experience on other airlines is irrelevant when discussing a single experience of a BA's product. In any event, the vast majority of GGLs on here have earned that status largely by flying on the cheap on AA and QR TP runs.

Nothing the OP has complained of has any relevance to flying other airlines. What he experienced is unacceptable and should never happen - whether he's flown on other airlines or not. You say this is BA's norm, well that is not my experience of taking many, many flights on BA. There is nothing 'rose tinted' about that, just plain, honest fact.

If, as you assert, this was the BA norm you can bet your bottom dollar that we'd be reading far more complaints about BA First than we do.

I was replying directly to the post by DYKWIA, which was more of a general comment regarding CCR/GGL members experience's, not specific to the actual (derisory) experience of the OP.

We both wholeheartedly agree that the OP's experience is unacceptable, and should not be an experience to be expected in BA's highest cabin (or any cabin, for that matter). Unfortunately, broken equipment and poor service in BA F is not an uncommon comment on these pages. I would like BA to improve its current F offering, but I see little evidence that they are considering doing so.

Certainly, my last F sectors on BA have:
  • Been way too hot on an overnight sector making it impossible to sleep
  • Overhearing how drunk the CC got the previous night on their stopover
  • A day flight where I was not able to choose my preferred main
All in all, not living up to the marketing blurb proffered by BA on their website.

Any yes, I am one of those people who earn on the "cheap" - by combining the best OW FF proposition available (BAEC) with the best products that OW have to offer (QR, CX, AA etc) when travelling for business ex-ZRH, giving me the choice of product to use east or west (coupled with LX, AF, EK etc who also fly from here). I spend my and my employer's travel budget wisely to get the best (in my opinion) balance of service/comfort and value for money for any given journey. If that makes me "cheap", then so be it
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really wouldn’t get too triggered by any assertions by Members that other Members are garners of cheap status. Those disparaging others tend to be the worst offenders for this, but will swear blind they are just the most Premium pax around with CIVs off the charts. Being careful with your money and wanting the best bang for your buck is nothing to be ashamed of. If only some could admit this, they all do it.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Originally Posted by nbevan
Do you know the percentage loading in WT+?
I imagine the answer to this one could be complicated (?) as I believe the 2 WT+ choices feature on the CW menu.
BA Website
For your main course for lunch or dinner we’ll also offer you a choice of two of the meals featured on the business class menu
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by email2markt
I imagine the answer to this one could be complicated (?) as I believe the 2 WT+ choices feature on the CW menu.
BA Website
But I think that WT+ is catered separately, and the catering is not shared with CW.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:42 am

Unfortunately, broken equipment and poor service in BA F is not an uncommon comment on these pages.
Exactly, anyone who claims that it is uncommon that a 787-9 has a broken lamp in F is disingenuous at best. Its design and placement is a significant problem. Similarly, the problems with F food loadings in lightly loaded cabins has been mentioned on here many times over the years, including many personal experiences by me.
British Airways like to push an image to the public via media that things are great and perfect in First with detailed inspections and high attention to detail, but anyone who travels regularly knows that this is not the case. You can't always trust what you're told - believe your own eyes and experiences!

Last edited by 710 77345; Feb 17, 2018 at 5:47 am
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nbevan
But I think that WT+ is catered separately, and the catering is not shared with CW.
It is separately catered. Same food (or some of it) but in its own trolley and that trolley only goes to WTP passengers. I would guess it's 100% catered but given the frequent need to pass upgraded passengers via the WTP cabin I would imagine this isn't a pinch point. If passengers are upgraded from WT to WTP I can't see many complaining about the food. In 787 First, with just 8 passengers maximum and I guess quite a lot of pre-ordering, then there's not going to be much flexibility, particularly if some poorly trained, poorly supervised cabin crew member gives away a pre-allocated tray by mistake. Which makes it even less excusable really.
email2markt likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:57 am

It also depends on your expectations. Fair enough if you take the "it doesn't matter if IFE is broken as I can chat in the galley" or "I don't mind if my seat is broken as I prefer to sit reading" or "I always get great service in CCR as I'm friends with the staff" approach, however I would suggest 90% of people paying a cash fare to travel F would be as happy as the OP sounds.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by aceman
I often think these complaints get nothing other then the standard canned response. Attach a screen shot of you cancelling further flights in F with the email, and email them to CS, then once thats fails, forward them higher. I think TRUE demonstrated revenue loss is probably the only thing that will have any hope of grabbing any attention.
I do feel there is much in what you say here and it speaks of a wider and very fundamental issue ; one which, in my view, goes to the very heart of BA’s continuing malaise where both quality and service standards are concerned.

The reason why truly awful experiences such as those recounted by the OP (in a FIRST class cabin, let’s not forget .....) invariably receive the familiar ‘canned’ response is because the airline’s management, under the stewardship of Alex Cruz, does not have an eye for, or pay attention, to detail. They feel that detail is something which is either a) not valued customers and/or b) will not be noticed by them where it is lacking. A seemingly minor - but very good - example is the removal of the salt & pepper ‘cruet set shakers’ from the new CW catering service. Cost - whilst a key, ever-present, imperative in any efficient profit-making organisation - has become the overriding focus for the BA management team, virtually to the exclusion of all else.

Rarely have I seen a BA written response reproduced here which would appear to address with any degree of conviction the sort of grievances raised by so many FT members. The best people can hope for is a few more Avios than they might have expected to be thrown their way. These might prove useful, and thus welcome for what they are ; but Avios do not restore confidence.

So ...... what would I suggest instead, one might ask .... ? Well, it needs a whole different perspective, and a change in culture - something which can only come (initially) at CEO level. Most CEO’s have (hopefully !) a keen eye for business discipline and all that it entails. The name of the game, after all, (unless you’re running a charity or some sort of state-sponsored operation) is to make money. And if it’s a plc, then shareholders will obviously see that as the most basic of objectives. But it’s about quality too, and about making customers feel valued.

If I were Alex Cruz, and had read the OP’s account here, I would be horrified and ashamed in equal measure. As any self-respecting CEO who needs a good bit of confidence, self-assurance (and perhaps even swagger) to get to the top, I would have developed a fairly sizeable ego along the way. But that ego would be dented by what had occurred onboard one of ‘my’ aircraft. I would be inclined to get hold of the customer by phone and offer my personal apologies. I would not talk about Avios during the conversation, but would be keen to acknowledge that - as a service-oriented company - we had let ourselves down, as well as the aggrieved customer, in falling so far below our target standards. And I would demonstrate that I mean what I say by inviting the customer to travel as our guest next time they wish to fly. Now .... you obviously pick and choose, and you don’t make these offers in response to every complaint. But that’s where the change of culture comes into play.

In truth, my suggestion is - as things stand - not viable for BA. Something else needs to happen before you can consider taking such an approach : standards & consistency need to be raised to the point whereby the OP’s experience can be safely considered an isolated event ; such that, the next time they fly, you can be sure there will be no repeat. I think BA are, sadly, a good distance away from that stage.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Couldn’t possibly say.
if you are referring to the fact that this is a MF route and this is why you aren’t surprised then I think that’s slightly unfair. I had a horrific flight with worldwide crew back from JFK last year. Totally uninterested in providing a decent service in F. Ignored my colleague sat beside me during the breakfast service. I fed it all back to Customer Relations and never heard a thing back. Standard BA service. The problem is that it is so inconsistent with BA. One flight it’s brilliant and the next it is terrible. However, unless it is fed back then BA will never learn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.