FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   3rd party TA - No seats - PLENTY of seats!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1893733-3rd-party-ta-no-seats-plenty-seats.html)

PAL62V Feb 13, 2018 11:00 am

3rd party TA - No seats - PLENTY of seats!!

Called up BA today to see about the cost of an upgrade to my flights next month but because they were booked via a third party TA I had to call them instead. Spoke with someone from Opodo who claimed the entire flight was full and no possibility of upgrading. Checked with the good folks here and I see there are loads of seats in both WT+ and J. And a further dummy purchase on BA.com revealed no shortage of seats at all. What the hell?

Also, is it a new policy by BA to ask for your passport number as part of their security check before they will deal with you over the phone? Who the heck carries their passport with them when not traveling?

happeemonkee Feb 13, 2018 11:05 am

Originally Posted by simon1234567 (Post 29411839)
Called up BA today to see about the cost of an upgrade to my flights next month but because they were booked via a third party TA I had to call them instead. Spoke with someone from Opodo who claimed the entire flight was full and no possibility of upgrading. Checked with the good folks here and I see there are loads of seats in both WT+ and J. And a further dummy purchase on BA.com revealed no shortage of seats at all. What the hell?

Also, is it a new policy by BA to ask for your passport number as part of their security check before they will deal with you over the phone? Who the heck carries their passport with them when not traveling?

They want the passport details for bookings made by a 3rd party, Opodo in this case. I’ve had the same problem with an AA ticket on BA metal. Obviously no-one carries their passports around with them on a daily basis so calls had to be made at home in the evening. One workaround I’ve found is to give your BAEC account number first (if you have one). Didn’t ask for the passport when doing that.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 13, 2018 11:11 am

Is there someone on FT who doesn't know all their passports' numbers off my heart!?!? My goodness, how do you fill in all those immigration entry forms????? As for Opodo, that sounds a bit strange, unless they are not in the market for upselling the change. The reason why it may apply is if it was a Consolidator ticket, but I don't think Opodo does those now for BA.

[Always a good idea to stick a photo of your passport photo on to Google Drive or elsewhere in the Cloud, encrypted if preferred, just in case something happens. Like being bussed on a Domestic flight to the UK Border......]

corporate-wage-slave Feb 13, 2018 11:31 am

Originally Posted by happeemonkee (Post 29411860)
One workaround I’ve found is to give your BAEC account number first (if you have one). Didn’t ask for the passport when doing that.

That's not a workaround that can be relied upon: all third party reservations will now need the passport number now even if you are BAEC: the agent either forgot or didn't spot the reservation owner.

adrianlondon Feb 13, 2018 11:39 am

I put my passport number (and executive club number) as "phone numbers" in my phone's contacts.

deboyzoned Feb 13, 2018 11:39 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29411887)
Is there someone on FT who doesn't know all their passports' numbers off my heart!?!? My goodness, how do you fill in all those immigration entry forms????? As for Opodo, that sounds a bit strange, unless they are not in the market for upselling the change. The reason why it may apply is if it was a Consolidator ticket, but I don't think Opodo does those now for BA.

[Always a good idea to stick a photo of your passport photo on to Google Drive or elsewhere in the Cloud, encrypted if preferred, just in case something happens. Like being bussed on a Domestic flight to the UK Border......]

I don’t know all the passport numbers, expiry dates etc for my multiple passports 😔. I do have photos of them on my phone.

And sometimes in forget which Passport to use at border controls ... with stamped Visas it’s easy, but with Electronic Visas it’s not so easy.

SteveF Feb 13, 2018 11:40 am

Or just keep a photo of it on your phone, just in case something happens. Like no internet access.

PAL62V Feb 13, 2018 11:48 am

I keep scans of my passports on my laptop in a secured file but didn't have it with me when I rang and never expected to be asked.

Still don't understand the Opodo thing though. You would think they would be eager to make a few extra bucks.

beachmouse Feb 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Is there someone on FT who doesn't know all their passports' numbers off my heart!?!? My goodness, how do you fill in all those immigration entry forms?????

In the land where you don't need them for purely domestic flights, and 85% of the commercial air travel is purely domestic, it's probably a fairly low memorization rate among the USA contingent.

Often1 Feb 13, 2018 1:59 pm

Simply keep the passport number(s) and related data in your contacts. If you fancy a bit of security, file them under a fictitious name in your contacts.

UKtravelbear Feb 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by simon1234567 (Post 29411839)

Maybe Opodo didn't have any seats from their inventory to sell you - hence it was 'ful' - and I'm guessing any fees they might earn from processing the upgrade via BA aren't worth their while.

MarkFlies Feb 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by adrianlondon (Post 29411961)
I put my passport number (and executive club number) as "phone numbers" in my phone's contacts.

Don't tell anyone, but I do this with credit card numbers. :eek: :eek:

WorldLux Feb 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by adrianlondon (Post 29411961)

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29412594)
Simply keep the passport number(s) and related data in your contacts. If you fancy a bit of security, file them under a fictitious name in your contacts.

So, you lot keep your card pins under Daniel Diners, Marc Master, Alex Express, and Victor Visa!? :D

Sam Bee Feb 13, 2018 2:32 pm

If this was Emirates married segment / return availability would explain it. But BA doesn't typically run as complex algorithms.

i.e looking at upgrading from within your booking offers vastly different availability vs new booking availability.

Gshumway Feb 13, 2018 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux (Post 29412708)
So, you lot keep your card pins under Daniel Diners, Marc Master, Alex Express, and Victor Visa!? :D

Nah, I just use 1Password, which actually has a category for passports, ID cards, etc.