Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What is the value and cost of a lounge visit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond

I'd be interested to see what people think the value of a BA lounge visit it in £s, and what the cost is likely to be to BA?

I'm talking the average here where you maybe rock up for 45 to 90 minutes - not extremes like rushing in to grab a coffee when you're cutting it fine, or spending a full day in there between connections.

Maybe we should split out by Terraces, Galleries, Galleries First and CCR!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Personally I tend to have 4/5 alcoholic drinks in the Club Lounges and normally take a copy of the Business’s traveller and a packet of crisps for the plane.

Business Traveller - £4.50
Crisps - 80p
Few drinks £15
Maybe a Banana - 50p

I also normally use the lounge to charge an appliance and find the WiFi handy ( No major cost)

I would say I value the visits around £30 but probably cost BA MAYBE £15?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
As a traveller that doesn't touch alcohol I'm a real cheap date for BA.

Crisps 80p (although now Sweet Chilli are disappearing this cost will also disappear)
Coke/Fanta £1 (perhaps 2 small cans if I'm thirsty.)
Snack £3 (sandwich or a small plate of pasta/curry)
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Vgravity
. Maybe we should split out by Terraces, Galleries, Galleries First and CCR!
That would be a definitely maybe I would say. The costings for each lounge I imagine to be broken down into the denomination of pounds & pence per visit somewhere along the line, and will no doubt be substantially differing between the 3 LHR levels of lounge with the biggest step up in expense to be between GF-CCR.

The value of such on the other hand I think to be totally subjective as after all, one persons trash is another’s treasure. On a personal note I do tend to value the lounges product fairly highly when put into the correct context, although to put a cost on it would be extremely difficult......even on average.

Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:09 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Simply adding up the cost of the food is too simplistic. BA's lounge expense will include staffing, rental cost per square foot and maintenance among other things. Those cost centres are very likely to dwarf the food and beverage.

So whilst we can value our own lounge experience because none of that concerns us, it's actually a very pertinent calculation for the airline. It also explains why so many outstations are closing in favour of third party provision.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Vgravity
Maybe we should split out by Terraces, Galleries, Galleries First and CCR!
And remove the value of nicked stuff that isn't consumed in the lounge?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hilton Honors Platinum
Almost impossible to value other than on an individual visit basis, based on two recent Lounge trips:

Top end: 3 hours with Mrs DrBenO in T5 CCR prior to an afternoon holiday LH F flight; Spa visit each, a 3 course lunch + cheese each, brace of G&Ts, bottle of LPGS, half a bottle of Pinot Noir (wine cost based on a particular visit's choice will vary hugely), couple of glasses of dessert wine and a couple of Espresso Martinis = a reasonable amount of value.

Bottom end: 12 minutes in T3 GF with my boss prior to an early departure for a day trip out and back to Lyon; One double espresso and a glass of Sparkling water.

Plus every single possible variation in between!
TPRun likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Cost to BA has got to be £5, how can it be any different? This is the value they place on removal of lounge access for silvers in ABZ.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:21 am

4 hours with Jamier45 cost about £400 value priceless

Last edited by rapidex; Feb 9, 2018 at 6:23 am Reason: wrong symbal
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Our Lounge visits vary significantly, from 30 mins to maybe 4 hours if we’ve been unlucky with connections. We hardly ever have a ‘full meal’, and drink very little (usually), so we cost BA (and indeed AA ) very little. Maybe £10 each at the very worst case?

However the value of comfortable seating in a relatively quiet and civilised environment is, to us, priceless!

That doesn’t really answer any of the OP’s questions, does it?
RolfD likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Simply adding up the cost of the food is too simplistic. BA's lounge expense will include staffing, rental cost per square foot and maintenance among other things. Those cost centres are very likely to dwarf the food and beverage.

So whilst we can value our own lounge experience because none of that concerns us, it's actually a very pertinent calculation for the airline. It also explains why so many outstations are closing in favour of third party provision.
This is a good point. Given that 'pay for entry' lounges average charge is between £20 and £35, I'd hazard a guess for a modest lounge the true cost of use is around £15 a passenger. However, I've spoken to BA and VS HQ staff, and the cost of a passenger using a London lounge on long haul is more like £50.

Incremental cost per passenger is a lot lower, but the true cost would take into account fixed costs, which will be high at an airport.

My guess is that I value a lounge visit at about £10 for short haul, £20 for long haul where I arrive much earlier, but the true cost to BA is probably double that.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My guess is that I value a lounge visit at about £10 for short haul, £20 for long haul where I arrive much earlier, but the true cost to BA is probably double that.
Sounds sensible to me but, as already said, the infrastructure and staff costs will be significant on a per-passenger basis.

The value of status cannot be underestimated!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I really do not think that there is something as an average, nor that a pound value is necessarily something based on either costs or consumption.

In terms of value, for instance, for me probably the main thing is to get a bit of a quiet space to work before a flight or wait a bit more comfortably between two flights. Often my consumption will be measured as two glasses of sparkling water or an espresso! Of course I could often find quiet space for free by looking around the airport's public parts (and sometimes do) but the lounge saves me the searching and uncertainty as to what I can find where. Other times, I'll have a full meal, a cocktail and a face treatment.

In terms of costs, as NWIFlyer rightly this is not so much about consumption (though I know some FTers pride themselves in downing much of a bottle of JB Blue which strikes me as expensive self-punishment, but hey, everyone to their own! ) but space is a premium expense in airport terminals and staff costs are expensive too. By contrast, some people mention taking Business Traveller and the likes, which whilst potentially having value for customers cost BA nothing. In fact, if you are travelling CW or F and were going to read it anyway, this is arguably a negative cost (saving) for BA as it is cheaper for them to keep them in lounge than to need to take and transport more of them on planes and the same goes for all papers.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DrBenO
Almost impossible to value other than on an individual visit basis, based on two recent Lounge trips:

Top end: 3 hours with Mrs DrBenO in T5 CCR prior to an afternoon holiday LH F flight; Spa visit each, a 3 course lunch + cheese each, brace of G&Ts, bottle of LPGS, half a bottle of Pinot Noir (wine cost based on a particular visit's choice will vary hugely), couple of glasses of dessert wine and a couple of Espresso Martinis = a reasonable amount of value.

Bottom end: 12 minutes in T3 GF with my boss prior to an early departure for a day trip out and back to Lyon; One double espresso and a glass of Sparkling water.

Plus every single possible variation in between!
Blimey - that consumption deserves a round of applause I'd not be able to board the plane after that nowadays
SkyTeem and MrPrice16 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Blimey - that consumption deserves a round of applause
Not from the cardiologist I suspect!
Lucanesque likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.