Wiki Posts
Search

Is BA turning into AA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by themax
Is BA turning into AA?

Two words: I wish!
Me too. Sadly it sounds like some cruel premature April Fools exercise.
themax likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by BLG
I agree with the general tone of this thread -- that AA has taken the lead from BA in most respects. As others have remarked AA J is light years ahead of CW. I am curious if anyone has flown the new AA PE -- wondering how the seat and whole experience compares with WT+ which I have found to be reasonably comfortable on BA on the A380?
I flew AA PE 3 times last week on 777-200's (LHR-DFW-HNL and LAX-LHR) & I've also flown it MAD-DFW on the 787 a few months ago. Seems very good to me. New seat, excellent IFE, all seats with power + USB (albeit awkwardly located), decent legroom, 2-4-2 seating. I like the AA long/thin pillow, and the last leg had a new amenity kit (Cole Haan?) which seemed quite nice.

Food was pretty decent but maybe not as good as BA WT+, and the trays were cleared away *fast* afterwards, which is a huge deal for me. I hate having a used tray sitting in front of me for another hour.

Compared with the awful BA WT+ on the LGW 777s it's miles ahead. Compared with a new 787 from LHR, I'd say roughly equal, maybe slightly ahead.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:12 am
Suspended

I agree with others. AA is light years ahead of BA in terms of hard and soft product as well as customer focus and treatment and valuing of elite FFB members. BA has been nickel and diming for years. Avoid BA like the plague but really enjoy my AA flights. (Still not as good as JAL though...)
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by T8191
Want privileges, get status, surely? Or just accept the seat you’re given? Anyway, BA seats are free at T-24h, or T-7d as Bronze. I’ve never paid for seat allocation in my life...
You're Gold -- of course not. For the other 99% the policy, not emulated by others, is a tangible disincentive to book BA, especially as WT is so desultory / shabby a product next to competitors. When a family of four on holiday is asked to cough up another $300 or £200 or what have to you to sit together, and AA/DL/UA do not, that is a hell of a way to cultivate future loyalists.
themax and T8191 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by capin
Are Delta good? I've only flown them once (CLT-ATL) and the senior crew member moved me to an exit row as I am very tall, that was very nice of her. I've always thought of them as a nasty airline that flies old clapped out DC10s and MD80s although I admit I have no idea where that notion came from.
The last DC10 left the DL fleet in 1988. The successor MD11 was retired in 2004. There are a few MD80s hanging on but not for much longer. DL domestic services in the US are one small notch better than AA and UA, but with the best completion rate; longhaul is increasingly good, with newer A330s coming on strength and displacing 767s, and good soft product. Beyond that, DL has the best "crew culture" among US majors -- you are much less likely to be snubbed, snapped at, lied to, etc. on DL, and the ethos is to treat all customers well, not ration smiles and goodwill for the pointy end only.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I fly BA and AA regularly. I generally have a preference for AA due to the J seat with direct aisle access and on-board wifi. The main food courses can be a bit more hit and miss but that isn't unique to AA. They also offer a better stocked snack-bar and there are more lounge options for OWE at LHR T3 (e.g. Cathay). On the odd occasion I get one, the fancy swivel seats in F on AA's 777-300 are pretty neat, but I'm not convinced the food in F is as good as BA's equivalent. More often than not it depends on my route, but if an F seat is up for grabs I'll take BA especially on their 787-9. If it's a J seat, I'll take AA.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by BearX220
The last DC10 left the DL fleet in 1988. The successor MD11 was retired in 2004. There are a few MD80s hanging on but not for much longer. DL domestic services in the US are one small notch better than AA and UA, but with the best completion rate; longhaul is increasingly good, with newer A330s coming on strength and displacing 767s, and good soft product. Beyond that, DL has the best "crew culture" among US majors -- you are much less likely to be snubbed, snapped at, lied to, etc. on DL, and the ethos is to treat all customers well, not ration smiles and goodwill for the pointy end only.
Delta is good (for a US airline), but to get anywhere internally you often have to fly through ATL, which I dislike with a passion.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StingWest
Delta is good (for a US airline), but to get anywhere internally you often have to fly through ATL, which I dislike with a passion.
Very valid view of ATL, but from LHR DL also serves JFK, DTW, MSP, SLC, and SEA, and there are robust onward connections from all. There are very few USA finals you have to fly to ATL in order to reach.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by wrp96
If you are going to discuss economy, well at least on shorthaul you can still get a non-alcoholic drink for free on AA and a small snack, where on BA you are lucky if you can get your free cup of tap water by the time you land.
AA also give free alcoholic drinks to OW status holders on shorthaul. I think there's an indicator in their little blue handheld machines.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by capin
AA also give free alcoholic drinks to OW status holders on shorthaul. I think there's an indicator in their little blue handheld machines.
Unless things have changed recently I think that only applies to OW Emerald status and even they only receive them due to the fact the machines can't differentiate between the various programmes. Even so, all passengers do at least receive something.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:31 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by DeanB
I flew AA PE 3 times last week on 777-200's (LHR-DFW-HNL and LAX-LHR) & I've also flown it MAD-DFW on the 787 a few months ago. Seems very good to me. New seat, excellent IFE, all seats with power + USB (albeit awkwardly located), decent legroom, 2-4-2 seating. I like the AA long/thin pillow, and the last leg had a new amenity kit (Cole Haan?) which seemed quite nice.

Food was pretty decent but maybe not as good as BA WT+, and the trays were cleared away *fast* afterwards, which is a huge deal for me. I hate having a used tray sitting in front of me for another hour.

Compared with the awful BA WT+ on the LGW 777s it's miles ahead. Compared with a new 787 from LHR, I'd say roughly equal, maybe slightly ahead.
Sounds good. Looking forward to trying it. Thanks
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
They do have some older Mad Dogs still in service, mostly from the old Northwest stock, but are generally good at refreshing the cabin interiors on a regular basis, and I've come to appreciate the 717s, which tend to get used on some thin spoke routes the other US legacies leave to the regional partners. (I'll take the old MD over a shiny new Embraer 145 or Devil's Chariot CRJ 200 any day) And they're in the process of adding a bunch of new planes small and large to their system.
None of the mad dogs are from NW. NW only ever had DC9s from the Douglas stable.

The A319/320/330 and some B757s are ex NW
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:02 am

Don't quite understand why anyone would fly BA by choice personally. I'd much rather take a connection than fly them. Same goes for AA and UA

domestic US Alaska is always first choice followed by DL then WN.

Transatlantic I'll take any airline except BA, AA or UA.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've flown with American Airlines quite a bit in the past few months, and have two forthcoming bookings. Almost every trip has involved, at some point, having to call AA about a schedule change or other issue. Every time, without exception, the call has been answered immediately, no matter what time of day or night, and the agent has been unfailingly helpful, knowledgeable and courteous. I have always ended the call with a good feeling about American Airlines, whereas my infrequent calls to BA's Indian call centres have driven me almost to the point of tears.

So, if there is any prospect of BA becoming more like AA... bring it on.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I'll just comment on two of your points

1. Alex Cruz worked for AA for 5 years between 1990 and 1995 so (i) not very long in the scheme of things (ii) so long ago that AA (like BA) is no longer the same company now as it was then.

2. Group Boarding is hardly an AA innovation - lots of airlines do it and not just the low cost ones.
Originally Posted by Dave_C
United in the Smisek years would be more accurate.
Now that is a comparision I can agree to.....

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I pick AA above BA whenever possible.

BA turning into them would be a good thing!
A fantasy ?

Originally Posted by wrp96
If you are going to discuss economy, well at least on shorthaul you can still get a non-alcoholic drink for free on AA and a small snack, where on BA you are lucky if you can get your free cup of tap water by the time you land.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.