Wiki Posts
Search

Jo'burg Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum; Marriott Silver; Avis president's: Hertz President's
Jo'burg Lounge

It must be 10 months since BA announced that the lounge in Joburg was to be "refreshed". I wonder if any of the route regulars can advise if there are any signs of this as yet?

Thanks,

U
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by umgowah
It must be 10 months since BA announced that the lounge in Joburg was to be "refreshed". I wonder if any of the route regulars can advise if there are any signs of this as yet?

Thanks,

U
I was in the JNB F lounge last Tuesday and it looked pretty much the same as it did in February 2017 - last time I was in there. That's much the same as it's been for at least the last eight years that I've been using it regularly.

That said, the food offer was the best I have ever seen with extensive range of hot and cold items.

I can't personally see why it would need refreshing. It's in the Galleries style, the furniture is in good condition and the lounge is clean and fresh.
cgtechuk and albpenny like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:53 pm

I was there in mid Oct. The food was very mediocre. Maybe that was the refresh?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
My understanding is the new Galleries Evolution (branded as British Airways Lounge) style is being applied, with the existing First and Club lounges being combined into one as seen at IAD, BOS, SIN and DXB. This would presumably see a Concorde Bar featured as at SIN and DXB. No idea on dates.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Genius1
My understanding is the new Galleries Evolution (branded as British Airways Lounge) style is being applied, with the existing First and Club lounges being combined into one as seen at IAD, BOS, SIN and DXB. This would presumably see a Concorde Bar featured as at SIN and DXB. No idea on dates.
Effectively getting rid of the F lounge on a route with huge F loads and considerable competition would seem utter folly to me. JNB is one of BA's top 5 routes, probably more lucrative than IAD, BOS, SIN and DXB combined. I wouldn't mess with a product that is performing well and still competitive.
schertz likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Effectively getting rid of the F lounge on a route with huge F loads and considerable competition would seem utter folly to me. JNB is one of BA's top 5 routes, probably more lucrative than IAD, BOS, SIN and DXB combined. I wouldn't mess with a product that is performing well and still competitive.
Yes but what BA is trying to do all over is cut costs by removing things from GCHs/OWEs but still providing them to F pax, so we are going to continue to see a reduction in F lounges in favour of combined lounges with either a separate Concorde Bar, or just Concorde Dining.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Genius1
I'm told that the work will begin by the end of April. I have no idea how long before the end of April that is supposed to mean, but I take it that there is at least something on the horizon.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by FrancisA
They are eliminating all the local staff and facilities in high-value locations in North America (YYZ being a great example).
Why not make travellers from SA suffer a similar fate, there's pennies to be saved!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by YacozA
They are eliminating all the local staff and facilities in high-value locations in North America (YYZ being a great example).
Why not make travellers from SA suffer a similar fate, there's pennies to be saved!
Cheaper labour in Africa ! The slow lounge on the domestic side also under renovation, sadly all the food was horridly stale thou...
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:49 pm

With the amount of delays BA has to and from Johannesburg, maybe a sleeping area/dormitory could be built in the lounge too?
BA235, mec72 and CloudGazer like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: Nando's Black, British Airways Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Cheaper labour in Africa ! The slow lounge on the domestic side also under renovation, sadly all the food was horridly stale thou...
I visited the SLOW lounge on 23 Dec. The renovations had finished. It had doubled in size, had a brilliant new staffed coffee / bubbles bar, quiet rooms with work desks and was overflowing with fresh food.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by scottnothing
I visited the SLOW lounge on 23 Dec. The renovations had finished. It had doubled in size, had a brilliant new staffed coffee / bubbles bar, quiet rooms with work desks and was overflowing with fresh food.
Yeah was there on the 20th, the guys just doing some finishing up work. They have done a smashing job thou, however when i was there the food was so badly stale i had to go to Wimpy as i was starving... haha
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Did either of you happen to notice how many shower rooms there now are? Have they increased it from the previous inadequate number of one?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Originally Posted by scottnothing
Increasing the usable space would make a huge difference. My last time in the JNB lounge, it was so full, I couldn't find an obviously non-occupied seat. I walked around twice, finally, picked up a drink and a packaged snack and left. This was the business class side; I recall the first class lounge was almost as full when my colleague guested me in a couple of weeks before that. I will say there are lots of choices of food and drink and the staff tend to be helpful.

There are so many status flyers on this route, when you board the 380 in the priority lane, over 50 people pre-boarded in a scrum to go in to Y (like me).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: Nando's Black, British Airways Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Did either of you happen to notice how many shower rooms there now are? Have they increased it from the previous inadequate number of one?
Sorry for being useless ... can't say definitively ... but I believe so.

A shower has been added to at least one disabled bathroom (which I used and is huge). I noted this to my other half who had showered before me and he looked puzzled, so I can only assume that he showered in a more traditional set-up. The showers/bathrooms are still staffed by rather silent employees with a clipboard who maintain order.

It's perfect for a short stop between JNB and CPT. Wish there were more lounges like that in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.