Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Connecting in OSL on separate tickets. 3hr too risky?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

So, I just booked ARN-AKL-OSL on QR November 2018 (17 Nov - 24 Nov). We live near BOS, so I'm in the midst of trying to figure out our positioning flights to and from ARN and OSL, respectively. We will fly BA to position to Europe.

On the outbound leg, I'm planning to fly into ARN 24hrs in advance of the QR flight. This will give us a big buffer and allow us a bit of time to see Stockholm. On the return, my wife would prefer not to overnight in Oslo if it can be avoided. However, the flight timings are a bit tight for my liking (though well within the MCT for OSL). On the plus side, QR should interline our bags to BA.

The QR flight arrives in OSL at 13:25. The last BA flight that will get us to BOS the same day departs at 16:40. That gives us a 3h15m buffer in the event of delays on the DOH-OSL flight. I know that BA officially will not protect us in this situation and I also know BA's one way fares are ridiculously expensive, so I'd prefer not to get myself into the situation of having to buy a new ticket. I am EXP with AA (OWE), if that makes any difference at all. I've also looked into travel insurance, but can't find anything that would adequately protect us in this situation.

I'd like to get some opinions on this. Too risky? Worth trying?

Not to mods: Please move if this post belongs in an established thread.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What is the change and no show penalties on the QR ticket ; that would be my 1st concern

If it doesn't allow changes or has a large change fee, I wouldn't risk it ; Once BA gets you to ARN, its work is done

If the worst that happens is to be able to rebook free of charge the next day, why not?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:44 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I wouldn't do it... but I'm sure others would. I'd promise the wife a top hotel and meal in Oslo, and stay the night

Having status won't help if you miss the flight. You'd be on your own (although it's been reported that sometimes agents go above and beyond to help out).
swingaling likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:45 pm

I'd happily do this, without even blinking.
annihilation likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
As @Dave Noble said above, most important is to check QR ticket. If it has some flex, I would be less worried. If it does not have flex, and given that it is November where weather can happen both at LHR and OSL, I would definitely leave more than 3 hours unless you have a flex ticket. There have been some previous QR stories this winter and last on FT. Some ended bad (new ticket) and some ended better. But QR is under no obligation to change your ticket out of goodwill, so I would maybe even consider an overnight and explore Oslo, but 3hrs is a tad tight
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm guessing that final section is part of a BOS-LHR-Nordics /return ticket? It's not clear here.If so, realistically you do on the basis that if you miss the OSL-LHR ticket the rest of the reservation is toast. It may work out fine, mostly aircraft are not 2 hours late, and even if it is the BA service would also be delayed perhaps, or something else random happens. Now it's true that an agent may take pity on you, but in terms of what advice is known to be correct, it is simply that if you miss a segment, the rest is cancelled. If it was merely a LHR-OSL-LHR ticket then that is another matter, you may well be able to call on a late RFS booking, or use another airline, if BA were expensive (which they may not be). Essentially you seem to be asking for the benefits of a through ticket without necessarily paying for it.

Risk is a personal thing. If you're OK to pay (guess) $1,000 plus dollars for a one way World Traveller back to BOS then do it. If not, don't. Different answer perhaps applies if it's ok to be a few days late to BOS since you play other tunes to get back home.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
If it were me, I would err towards the overnight in OSL in November. A random weather event is all it will take to completely screw up your return to the US.

If it were the summer, I’d probably go for it.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
I'd absolutely (and have recently) done this on my way back from AKL with QR. No issues whatsoever, and OSL tends to know how to deal with weather issues.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I would have no issues doing this to short haul. To a long-haul, what are your options?

Norwegian via Gatwick (or non-stop to JFK) is quite reasonably priced though, at least far enough in advance, for a one-way.

Equally, you could have miles availability, especially if you get enhanced options as an Exec Plat. All that said, I'd either do an overnight in OSL or (probably cheaper) get the late OSL-LHR and then an overnight in LHR before flying on to BOS. Under 24 hours will still not be a stopover.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arnie.
I'd absolutely (and have recently) done this on my way back from AKL with QR. No issues whatsoever, and OSL tends to know how to deal with weather issues.
Presumably you were flying short haul, which offers more flexibility and lower costs if things go wrong. Flying TATL after that ... you've a lot more at stake unless you have a very good plan B.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I certainly wouldn’t given your date: by Nov 2018, you 3h15 connection could have been refined to 1hr. Any change of schedule by under 2 hours on QR (frequent) will give you no right.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I certainly wouldn’t given your date: by Nov 2018, you 3h15 connection could have been refined to 1hr. Any change of schedule by under 2 hours on QR (frequent) will give you no right.
Yes, that's another thing to consider. I didn't realize QR is so apt to change their schedules. Though I guess it's not surprising. All the other airlines do it to some extent.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by arnie.
... and OSL tends to know how to deal with weather issues.
Like this? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post29295148
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I had a similar kind of trip that changed my outlook. Booked an ex-EU fare from DUB and as it was 100x easier to go from LCY and come back to LHR the same night, thats how I booked it. I also had a buffer of 3hrs, HBO, yada yada. Suffice to say it almost turned into a nightmare as the crew manning the LCY DUB flight ended up being delayed > 2.5hrs. When you're in a foreign city and relying on outstation staff to try and get your ticket reinstated, it tends to change one's perspective on these things.

Suffice to say I'm doing an ex EU from OSL to the southern hemisphere this year and I'll be organising my arrival at least a day (96% probably 2 days) in advance.

I wish you all the best with your journey and I hope that you don't encounter the same issues I had, but from my POV what you're doing I would never do again. Buffers of 1 day+ or a solid b2b is my game now.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:30 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by swingaling
So, I just booked ARN-AKL-OSL on QR November 2018 (17 Nov - 24 Nov). We live near BOS, so I'm in the midst of trying to figure out our positioning flights to and from ARN and OSL, respectively. We will fly BA to position to Europe.

On the outbound leg, I'm planning to fly into ARN 24hrs in advance of the QR flight. This will give us a big buffer and allow us a bit of time to see Stockholm. On the return, my wife would prefer not to overnight in Oslo if it can be avoided. However, the flight timings are a bit tight for my liking (though well within the MCT for OSL). On the plus side, QR should interline our bags to BA.

The QR flight arrives in OSL at 13:25. The last BA flight that will get us to BOS the same day departs at 16:40. That gives us a 3h15m buffer in the event of delays on the DOH-OSL flight. I know that BA officially will not protect us in this situation and I also know BA's one way fares are ridiculously expensive, so I'd prefer not to get myself into the situation of having to buy a new ticket. I am EXP with AA (OWE), if that makes any difference at all. I've also looked into travel insurance, but can't find anything that would adequately protect us in this situation.

I'd like to get some opinions on this. Too risky? Worth trying?

Not to mods: Please move if this post belongs in an established thread.
What I do in this situation is to ensure that I am covered under travel insurance - my one in particular is rather generous, so long as you 'demonstrate that you have provided reasonable transit times', they will pay out. Happened to me when trains in the UK went on strike, leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere, and I had to take a cab to the airport, which cost exactly as much as my flight ticket did. Perhaps this might help you lose less sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.