Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

RAK and BA. How late can I arrive at airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RAK and BA. How late can I arrive at airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Talking

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I was going to suggest Tangier too! Can't see dear old BA running two services a day there though. The trick to relaxing lunches in RAK is to find somewhere with a terrace or upper eating area, some may like Café chez Zaza, or Naranj (10 minutes from the Jama'a).
McDonalds has a terrace at the train station if you want to admire the trains whilst chomping down on your McArabia burger meal.

Joking apart the the train station is quite an ornate building and has an incredible tiled mosaic in the square outside.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
No problem to get return BP in LGW

does not say fasttrack (OWE in Y)
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Great flight. Tons of turbulence enroute go around in RAK with diversion to CMN. This may turn into a back to back!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by seaskybound
Great flight. Tons of turbulence enroute go around in RAK with diversion to CMN. This may turn into a back to back!
Oops, so the captain didn't want to play it again?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Rolling in fog. Circled RAK for a while then divert.

still foggy in RAK... I see no BA service from CMN
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Good luck!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Rolling in fog. Circled RAK for a while then divert.

still foggy in RAK... I see no BA service from CMN
Yes, this may be a bit tricky. BA don't normally operate from there, but Iberia does. If it helps, probably doesn't, I haven't a clue what will happen to you!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Good luck!
is it on the same pnr? Otherwise a call to BA might be useful to protect the rak lgw
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, this may be a bit tricky. BA don't normally operate from there, but Iberia does. If it helps, probably doesn't, I haven't a clue what will happen to you!
eu261 let’s you abandon the journey if you gonna be more then 5h late into rak, so you can request return to lgw under similar class and refund of the fare
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77

is it on the same pnr? Otherwise a call to BA might be useful to protect the rak lgw
Yes, good point, or at least get them to put a note on the inbound PNR that your outbound has been diverted to CMN.

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
eu261 let’s you abandon the journey if you gonna be more then 5h late into rak, so you can request return to lgw under similar class and refund of the fare
And that is also correct, so long as the OP can maintain why arriving into RAK the next day won't serve the purpose of the trip. The evidence stacks in the OP's favour here.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by cwl
Departed from RAK last Saturday (6th January) afternoon travelling CE. No mobile boarding pass option. No print your own boarding pass option. Have to collect boarding pass from check in counter.

100+ metre long lines snaking across forecourt just to enter the terminal building. Thirty minute wait to get into the terminal building through the slow initial security check

No one in front of use at BA check in but luggage belts down so no one able to check in or have boarding passes issued for about 20 minutes even if no luggage to check. Check in lady said the luggage belt system was new and always breaking down.

Travelling in CE or with silver upwards status gets you fast track exit customs, security and passport control which is slow just not as slow as non fast track which looked horrendous.

Once through passport control another line to join for another official to check you have a exit stamp in your passport after the passport check you've just completed ! The whole airport is a bureacrats dream.

From getting out of a taxi to sitting in the lounge took 1 hrs 25 even with fast track and we weren't trying to hang around.

They were also selecting about 50% of passengers for further security check (bags opened, electronics checked, bag checked with a swab, shoes swabbed etc) at the gate with only two staff doing this very slowly.
Sounds vey similar to the T5 experience.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:03 am
Original Poster

This is not a back to back it is (was...) a 7.5 hrs on the ground (5 hrs outside airport) day trip (not a MR either) for the Marakesh Formula E race (work related. I will likely miss the purpose). Single PNR

current estimation is arrive RAK 2.5hrs late so 2.5hrs net on ground
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
RAK

I had my first trip to Morocco last week. I’m glad I went early to the airport as this is what I faced

It was one of four queues to get into the airport. As others have said fast track security isn’t very fast and you also have to fill in an embarkation card for departure.

What I didn’t know was that you also show your Passport to the security persons - mine had already gone through the scanner in my manbag so I had to ask in French for the “tout petit sac noir là-bas...”

The handling agents are Royal Air Maroc but despite only having handluggage I had to queue for a boarding pass and the lounge invitation. The map to the lounge on the back is useless. It leads to a lounge that isn’t there so by luck I went into the RAM lounge to ask where - from memory - Lounge Onda was. To my relief they said it was the correct lounge!

Last edited by CoweyB; Jan 13, 2018 at 7:26 am
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I haven’t been to RAK for over a year but don’t remember any such queues, how times have changed!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Even though I had a BP went to desk and got a fast track BP (OWE in Y) but could not give my differnt PNR colleague FT (computer gives it)

No problem on 2nd hand filled lounge invite (useless lounge)

overall lines were not that long, but that is luck, but many stops in the process, many PP checks.

My trip was in vain. Cheap ticket so not too confern. Are there rules to define trip in vain?

(due to weather issues. Crew was great)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.