Wiki Posts
Search

Can (and how do) you refuse an OpUp?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Can (and how do) you refuse an OpUp?

Got a quick question while I'm sat in the Flounge waiting for the 09:35 to SEA.
The Fwing agent that did my visa check advised that Economy (where I am ) was oversold by 17, Premium Economy oversold by 7 and Business/First massively undersold.
She wouldn't let me do a paid airport upgrade because of the oversold situation. She advised that the chance of an OpUp for myself is very high (single traveller GGL).

Now I'm wondering if I can refuse an OpUp if the machine goes beep when they scan my BP?
Reason I'd refuse one....if I get OpUped to Premium Economy or Club World the chances of me getting a window seat are quite low. I was very happy with 39k on the 777 due to it being the only twin row along with the good window positioning and the extra storage space between the wall and seat and space behind. In my opinion that seat (which I've been on many times before) is the best thing about the 777 and I would choose it over any non-window seat in WTP any day.

So if I get OpUped in a couple hours into WTP and I ask about a window seat and they say no can I refuse the OpUp and have it deferred to someone else? Mainly to keep my 39k.
I would happily accept WTP with a window seat or any club world seat (unlikely I know) it's just if I'm going to lose my window seat on a 10 hour flight it's going to cause me issues with anxiety and motion sickness (having a window seat does wonders for my anxiety as I'm sure some people can relate to) so if there's a way for me to politely request not to be OpUped I would like to try it.

Wondering if anyone has experiences with declining UpOps. My initial thought is that it's a "tough cookie just enjoy your extra legroom" and I'm okay if that is the answer but it's worth me checking the awesome knowledge pool here first
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
I had precisely this scenario on a personal LHR-LAX last year.

At OLCI the app had me moving from my (carefully-selected) WT exit row window to an aisle in the middle of the WTP cabin. I used the BP to go through Security then asked the FLounge agent to switch me back.

All done in 5 minutes with no drama, and my exit row seatmates turned out to be a fascinating couple
rssfed23 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks OverTheHorizon! - That's good to know!

In my case OLCI worked fine and I got the seat I wanted. It's more a concern about at the gate when they begin boarding (I don't want to hold people up and want to know what to say to the gate angels).

Thanks for the Flounge tip - I'll ask on my way out to the gate if anythings changed yet they may be able to see it (I arrived 4 hours early so I imagine operations hadn't yet done the moves but T-45 they may have )

Glad to know I'm not the only one that prefers a window seat over all else
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
if you have the app then there is a good chance any op up would appear there and you could see it before you leave the lounge
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
if you have the app then there is a good chance any op up would appear there and you could see it before you leave the lounge
Exactly, if being op-up'ed worries you, just keep refreshing the app a few times and you'll notice any seat change. 'Gate upgrades' really means that we only find out at the gate, but they often take place a little earlier than that in practice, and now with the app you see it in real time.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
You can ask for your old seat back, although it might take the agent a bit of an effort to get it back for you.

My husband declined the op-up from a WT exit row aisle or window to WT+ middle a couple of times and it took a bit of time to get the original seat back but he did get it back.

​​​
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Yes, good point, and it's on the More Flight Details tab rather than the Boarding Pass that you can see it. The boarding pass doesn't reliably refresh, though it would probably get there in the end. The home screen is usually more stuck in cache mode so that may also not show it for a bit.

But yes, you can decline upgrades, though if they moved a couple into your seat (ie. moved 2 single passengers) then it can get rather messy. But it can be done. Luckily it's rare these days that upgrades should be declined. I take your point that you really want a window seat - and the same for me - but it used to be a bigger issue (e.g. when Old First was around). Arguably still is on JFK services, I'm not sure I'd want First on a daytime service if SuperJ 747 UD. Mostly there is enough product differentation that passengers wouldn't normally decline upgrades.

It is also totally OK to haggle for a better seat, particularly with Customer Services in First, it's not usually a busy desk and shouldn't be so on a Saturday. Moreover there is usually some scope for trading seats on board if there are a lot of status upgrades since someone else will no doubt be given a window seat and prefer an aisle. I was going to say "have a look at ExpertFlyer" to assist this, but in your case every single seat in all cabins is allocated, with just 3 seats available in First.
rssfed23 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rssfed23
Got a quick question while I'm sat in the Flounge waiting for the 09:35 to SEA.
(...)

Reason I'd refuse one....if I get OpUped to Premium Economy or Club World the chances of me getting a window seat are quite low. I was very happy with 39k on the 777 due to it being the only twin row along with the good window positioning and the extra storage space between the wall and seat and space behind. In my opinion that seat (which I've been on many times before) is the best thing about the 777 and I would choose it over any non-window seat in WTP any day.
Haha, I had exactly the same situation on LHR-SEA flight. Saw automatic upgrade to WTP on the app while in lounge and went to customer services to ask to be put back in 39K which I chose for the same reason you did. I wanted window seat with the view, not WTP seat in the middle. It was the only time I refused upgrade.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:21 am
Original Poster

All sorted!

It didn’t show on the app nor in the Lounge when we left but when we got to the gate a long beep and now I’m in 23G

gate agent said I could go back to economy but not the twin pair seat I had previously.

so I choose to stay in WTP and not cause any fuss and maybe ask the person with the window seat if they want to swap.

EDIT: thanks to the cute young American guy in 25k that swapped with me. You don’t know how much help you’ve been and how grateful I am to both you and the cabin crew member that spoke to you and asked. A truly nice guy in random circumstances. Thank you!!!

Also; the app still shows me as 39k on the more details page (just a data point)

Last edited by rssfed23; Jan 6, 2018 at 2:51 am
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
and maybe ask the person with the window seat if they want to swap.
Hmm... I wouldn't and I personally don't think that's on actually. You had your options and any qualm you have about them should be with BA and not with the poor guy sitting next to you who has nothing to do with it. Chances are that they are there because that is what they booked and paid for which is not your case. Many people feel guilty about saying no and I'm actually against asking them for a seat change unless there is a really imperious reason to do so. If you would prefer a window then mention this to the crew and see if there is something they can arrange. For instance, they might be aware of people who sat separately who would be glad to swap etc but at least you are not making an innocent feel like the bad guy and worry that you will be an unhappy neighbour for the next 10 hours.

I know plenty of people say: "oh well, just ask and they can always say no", I think that this completely ignores the norms of psychology and social desirability (people are barely now becoming aware of the phenomenon in a very different context).
Gerbs, LTN Phobia, Pascoe and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
orbitmic are you on a bet to get the word "imperious" into all your posts today ?
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Fitch
orbitmic are you on a bet to get the word "imperious" into all your posts today ?
Argh, nope, I didn't notice but I'll check my lexical variety from now on!
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
So to summarize:

- There is no way to pre-decline an op-up (special meal perhaps?)
- There is no way to protect/guarantee an original seat assignment when declining a processed op-up
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Hmm... I wouldn't and I personally don't think that's on actually. You had your options and any qualm you have about them should be with BA and not with the poor guy sitting next to you who has nothing to do with it. Chances are that they are there because that is what they booked and paid for which is not your case. Many people feel guilty about saying no and I'm actually against asking them for a seat change unless there is a really imperious reason to do so. If you would prefer a window then mention this to the crew and see if there is something they can arrange. For instance, they might be aware of people who sat separately who would be glad to swap etc but at least you are not making an innocent feel like the bad guy and worry that you will be an unhappy neighbour for the next 10 hours.

I know plenty of people say: "oh well, just ask and they can always say no", I think that this completely ignores the norms of psychology and social desirability (people are barely now becoming aware of the phenomenon in a very different context).
This is a valid point! It’s why when I spoke to CC I asked him to only ask people that had been opupped. There was 7 of us moved to WTP and speaking to the guy when thanking him and shaking his hand he mentioned he booked and paid for an aisle seat in Y so was happy to regain his aisle seat again in WTP. So everyone wins in this specific situation (typing is harder on an iPhone) but yes; I would never let the CC ask any random traveller on my behalf only to ask those that had been upgraded into a different type of seat (aisle vs window).

The chance to change the plan isn’t the best chance tbh and I don’t agree with that - with only one scanner in use at the gate I was holding everyone up when I asked questions. I did everything possible in advance (check in agent, flounge agent and checking the app) to find out what was happening but it wasn’t known until reaching the gate and I was one of the first to board and as such holding up everyone creates a significant amount of pressure to make a rushed decision so saying I had my chance is true but IMHO my chance wasn’t as free or open as it could of been with the mounting queues and stares coming my way from the priority line. I guess im saying I agree with you in a way but also feel it wasn’t fair to make a pressured decision with a few factors about something that’s very important to me (It’s disrupted a flight before. No diversion but cabin and flight crew involved as well as mediline or whatever the telephone/Radio doctor services that BA use are called) and as such want to avoid it when possible.

anyways in this case everyone wins and we’re just being de-iced. Thanks for everyone’s opinions, suggestions and comments it goes to show how great FT can be when a situation occurres .
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Glad to know I'm not the only one that prefers a window seat over all else
You are definitely not alone!

An upgrade to J or F would be a different story though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.