FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1885572-2018-ba-compensation-thread-your-guide-regulation-ec261-2004-a.html)

dnlfrancis12 Mar 16, 2018 2:14 pm

airport diversion

Hi all, another long time lurker first time poster! A slightly unusual compensation question similar to foolonthehill, appreciate any advice. Apologies for length! Have tried to keep simple:
- booked on BA 2215 (GLA-LCY) on 14/03
- Meant to depart 19:55 arrive 21.20. Actual times were: 21:22, arrive 23.01. Believe due to late incoming aircraft (BA 8738) and expertflyer shows reason as ZO- which means operational I believe?
- missed LCY curfew so diverted to Southend.
- I chose to wait for the BA coach which took 45 minutes to arrive. left at around midnight, drove near LCY at 12.40am. Majority of passengers wanted us to go to Stratford instead of LCY for the drop off, added approx extra 10 mins so arrived 12.50am. It i.e 3+ hours from the scheduled 21.22pm arrival.
- took uber home for 15 pounds from Stratford as no public transport running.

questions:
- correct to say that I should claim for the uber ride under duty of care?
- would the above scenario qualify for an EU261 claim (believe it would)? If so should I not also claim for uber ride?
- does us diverting coach to Stratford (not my preference) instead of LCY complicate things? Shall I just say we were dropped at LCY in my claim to keep things simple? either way it would have been a 3+ hour delay.

Can't fault crew they were very professional with some pretty angry passengers. Although loved captain description of Southend as 'an alternate London airport'...

Appreciate any advice

bfc2dabone Mar 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 29532850)
Welcome to FT.

Yes - standard compensation claim there due to technical fault.

thanks simons1 for the quick reply, i'll get the claim cogs in motions, do airlines take out insurance against these claims? I booked through BA Holidays almost a year in advance and got an amazing deal, 4 x passengers at £136 each including accommodation, I almost feel guilty at claiming 400 euros each compensation, any money we get back will be put into next years boys away pot, but it's almost as if we have got a free holiday if the claim goes to plan.

BA do get some bad press, yes we were delayed but I couldn't speak highly enough of them in my circumstance, customer care was great, we got vouchers for a meal ect. but what stood out was the captain coming to the gate to explain things and then mingerling with the passengers, was class. He spoken on the PA system and then walked around the gate and was speaking to anyone that wanted to, he came over to my group and apologised, I made a joke about the aircraft being Delta Kilo , and he responded with a funny reply about when he had contacted BA maintenance and they asked him which aircraft he was operating in with an air of expectancy, when the flight landed and we were debarking he even remembered out conversation and he remarked she got us home in the end. at the gate before the flight i had also questioned how many duty hours the crew had left, and he replied 1 hours 50mins, we hadn't taken off on a 4 hour flight, he said he would use his commanders discretion and get us all home if at all possible.

Big Up BA and any compensation we receive will be put into the pot for next years boys away, win win

corporate-wage-slave Mar 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by dnlfrancis12 (Post 29533167)
- took uber home for 15 pounds from Stratford as no public transport running.

questions:
- correct to say that I should claim for the uber ride under duty of care?
- would the above scenario qualify for an EU261 claim (believe it would)? If so should I not also claim for uber ride?
- does us diverting coach to Stratford (not my preference) instead of LCY complicate things? Shall I just say we were dropped at LCY in my claim to keep things simple? either way it would have been a 3+ hour delay.

Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum dnlfrancis12, it's good to see you here and I would certainly encourage you to participate in the rest of the forum - otherwise there wouldn't be anything to lurk around!

The Uber should be OK given the time and relatively low cost. Send in the email receipt.
EC261 Article 7 may apply, but without knowing the full story behind the delay we cannot be sure. It would be somewhat unusual if the captain didn't give chapter and verse about this on boarding, they are usually fairly detailed rather than just saying the previous sector was delayed. In the circumstances you should apply for it, they will tell you if there was (e.g.) a weather dimension, and further aspects may come from that reply.
I don't think the Stratford diversion would make any difference, it's on the A13 and at that hour the overall journey time difference would be marginal.

corporate-wage-slave Mar 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by bfc2dabone (Post 29533188)
Delta Kilo

Well you certainly have been lurking given that must now be BA's most renown aircraft currently in service. There again not all the younger LGW cabin crew are aware of its unique features. Welcome to Flyertalk and to the BA forum bfc2dabone. I hope we will see more of you here.

bfc2dabone Mar 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29533213)
Well you certainly have been lurking given that must now be BA's most renown aircraft currently in service. There again not all the younger LGW cabin crew are aware of its unique features. Welcome to Flyertalk and to the BA forum bfc2dabone. I hope we will see more of you here.

:-) booking my flight almost a year and in advance, tracking it on FlightRadar24 I noticed my flight was almost always operated by G-MEDK, imagine my dismay when according to BA Source Delta Kilo was at Heathrow maintenance a week before my out bound flight, I was almost excited about flying on the runt of the fleet lol, then it returned to Gatwick a few days after being in maintenance but still no DK, the outbound flight was on G-EUUS a Heathrow based aircraft I believe. After having a Heathrow based A320 on the outbound flight I really wanted Delta Kilo on the way home, just to experience all I had read about her, she didn't disappoint :-)

simons1 Mar 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by bfc2dabone (Post 29533188)
thanks simons1 for the quick reply, i'll get the claim cogs in motions, do airlines take out insurance against these claims? I booked through BA Holidays almost a year in advance and got an amazing deal, 4 x passengers at £136 each including accommodation, I almost feel guilty at claiming 400 euros each compensation, any money we get back will be put into next years boys away pot, but it's almost as if we have got a free holiday if the claim goes to plan.

I wouldn't be too sympathetic to BA. What they pay out to you will be covered many times over by the money they avoid paying people by fobbing them off or just failing to advise them of entitlements.

I imagine the airlines self insure.

bfc2dabone Mar 16, 2018 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 29533363)
I wouldn't be too sympathetic to BA. What they pay out to you will be covered many times over by the money they avoid paying people by fobbing them off or just failing to advise them of entitlements.

I imagine the airlines self insure.

I'll try not to, any compensation will probably end up back in BA's pocket anyway paying for my next break :-)

dnlfrancis12 Mar 18, 2018 6:19 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29533192)
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum dnlfrancis12, it's good to see you here and I would certainly encourage you to participate in the rest of the forum - otherwise there wouldn't be anything to lurk around!

The Uber should be OK given the time and relatively low cost. Send in the email receipt.
EC261 Article 7 may apply, but without knowing the full story behind the delay we cannot be sure. It would be somewhat unusual if the captain didn't give chapter and verse about this on boarding, they are usually fairly detailed rather than just saying the previous sector was delayed..

Great thanks for the prompt response corporate-wage-slave, I'll report back on the outcome. Your absolutely right the captain had a long detailed monologue on reasons for the delay which I have entirely forgotten! Can only go with the expertflyer reason as the next best alternative and hope it was some form of technical delay. As I said cabin crew did a good job but ground services was pretty rubbish- very surprised we had to wait an hour for a coach (really just a public bus) once in the arrivals hall and obviously no BA staff around given its Southend.

Ajm1987 Mar 19, 2018 11:56 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29488579)
I think that is all you can do, I doubt you would get more than £50 maximum, and they may say no to that, with some justification. For the food and drink, that would be OK but it depends if you are going to claim a refund on the unused ticket, at which point BA would probably suggest that since you were not travelling with BA then they don't have a right of care liability.

Quick report back on this: £100 for taxi and £7 refunded for a sandwhich/coffee en route. More than fair and handled well by BA all in all. Thanks for advice all! Now to decide where to fly to get the tier points I missed out on and get silver!

LSunbury Mar 20, 2018 3:52 am

Just looking for a little advice on a claim for my niece please.

She was due to fly the early evening BOS-LHR but this was delayed due to a technical issue (she heard that a part was to be transferred by road from JFK!) After retrieving her bags and queuing for 2 hours she was offered a VS flight which she took. The later scheduled BA flight was already full. She wanted to get back as early as possible and intended to go straight to work in the morning.

She applied for compensation but this was refused. BA said ‘your rebooked flight wasn’t included in the booking. As your alternative flight is on an alternative booking reference, we’re not liable for a compensation payment on this occasion’.She arrived at LHR 4+ hours later than planned, and the flight she was due to take eventually landed 6+ hours late.

My instinct is that she is entitled and should follow this up with a response then MCOL but I would welcome any advice from the gurus here.

Does the fact that she took the VS flight absolve BA from paying the compensation?

corporate-wage-slave Mar 20, 2018 4:53 am

That reply just seems wrong unless there is some other factor (eg no mention made of the VS PNR and no amendments on the BA PNR so it wouldn't be clear your relative actually travelled) .Assuming nothing else is at play here this looks clear cut enough for CEDR, so just ask for the deadlock letter. That alone may do the trick. Or a phone call to CR in the afternoon to explain the circumstances. Alternately a DM on Twitter.

LSunbury Mar 20, 2018 5:37 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29545667)
That reply just seems wrong unless there is some other factor (eg no mention made of the VS PNR and no amendments on the BA PNR so it wouldn't be clear your relative actually travelled) .Assuming nothing else is at play here this looks clear cut enough for CEDR, so just ask for the deadlock letter. That alone may do the trick. Or a phone call to CR in the afternoon to explain the circumstances. Alternately a DM on Twitter.

Thanks for the very quick reply.

I understand the trip was booked through AA so an 001- ticket, but I don't think this has any bearing on the claim?

corporate-wage-slave Mar 20, 2018 5:44 am

Originally Posted by LSunbury (Post 29545758)
Thanks for the very quick reply.

I understand the trip was booked through AA so an 001- ticket, but I don't think this has any bearing on the claim?

Correct, no bearing but it may explain the problem above - because BA didn't issue the ticket they don't have many clues about what happened. Just give them a call with all the details to hand. BA is the operating airline so they are responsible.

djbenedict Mar 20, 2018 8:03 am

Delayed BA295 on 19th March

I'm trying to understand whether EU261 compensation is due for this flight from LHR-ORD. It was scheduled to depart/arrive at 1205/1555 (local times) and actually departed/arrived at 1642/1937, an arrival delay of 3h42. No connections involved in my case. The reason given by the pilot for the late departure was the delayed inbound arrival of G-BYGC and the lack of an alternative plane.

Would be grateful for any views on this. I've read the archived thread and I think based on my reading of that, this being a category 3 flight and the delay being under 4 hours, that passengers are entitled to the €300 reduced amount of compensation.

Globaliser Mar 20, 2018 8:14 am

FWIW, this is G-BYGC's itinerary from Sunday early morning:-
Code:

Scheduled Actual
18.03.2018 BA106 DXB-LHR 0225-0625 0222-0634
18.03.2018 BA285 LHR-SFO 1040-1500 1408-1730
18.03.2018 BA284 SFO-LHR 1705-1035 1927-1304
19.03.2018 BA295 LHR-ORD 1205-1555 1642-1937

So the aircraft was basically delayed on Sunday morning after arriving at LHR, and she has not yet recovered from that.

The live 261/2004 thread is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html and the winter weather thread for that weekend is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...18-2018-a.html