Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Thanks... yes, I am sure I could get it ticketed through a travel agent via bookwithmatrix but I really didn't want to use a TA... neither did I want to use a GBP credit card and pay in anything other than GBP. Thanks anyway but I have now planned a run for Gold to the East

I am planning:

LHR - DXB BA Y (part pay with Avios)

DXB - CMB - CGK UL
CGK - CMB - DXB UL

All in J.

Doing that 3 times with a 1 night stopover in DXB. Hotels are so cheap in CGK that I am staying a night there each time through also to save me worrying about the tight b2b.

Then:
DXB - LHR Y (the return from my outbound)

Then to get up to the 4 qualifying flights I am doing:

LHR - AMS - LHR with BA in Y (only £60 cash!)

Then home for a well-earned rest but as a Gold member!

With so much slack built in (an overnight hotel stay at each DXB and CGK) I am hoping that it is a more relaxed trip than say, with b2bs at CGK or DXB. I have the time and the hotels aren't expensive.

I am booking the BA legs on ba.com and the UL legs direct with UL as a set of 3 DXB - CGK returns on separate tickets.

Can anyone see any issues I may have missed?
Some practical stuff, having done a similar trip recently (not as many segments), there is a very good transit hotel in CMB terminal for about $65US for 8 hours. Good for recovery, I used it both directions.

UL is a little agricultural in J in comparison with other airlines. The food isn't fantastic, the seats (1 2 1) are OK but not brilliant (I was in 2K for four legs which was a bit weird after a while, maybe change seats to relieve the monotony). The tea is good - they bring you a pot on a tray, I had quite a lot of that. Crew friendly and down to earth and the legs are reasonably short (the flights, not the crews').

In Jakarta I think you need a visa on arrival? Haven't been for a while but as I recall that was payable in US dollars. And a recommendation for the Bandara hotel which I have used and which is comfortable and avoids traffic.

It's a crazy schedule, but should be fun.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by peter h
When are you thinking of going? A quick look on the Matrix suggests the the DXB-CGK returns can be below £1.20/TP - so good going!

Can you stay on UK time for the trip? Probably difficult if it's over a week or so and with stopovers in both DXB and CGK.

I've started from scratch with BAEC recently after the Avios change and have been looking at Silver (I posted a modest TP run a few days ago), but I've just had an unexpected consultancy contract that has got me thinking about Gold! That would mean a year of Gold and a year soft landing into Silver afterwards if I didn't do anything, wouldn't it?
I am looking at March. My TP year ends 8th March so I am planning on doing the run in March/April (before my current Silver privileges expire) and that would give me 2 years of Gold and then a year of Silver with the soft landing. Not bad value IMHO.

Figures are:

LHR - DXB 20TP £310 (part pay with Avios)

DXB - CMB 140TP £660 for each return
CMB - CGK 140TP
CGK - CMB 140TP
CMB - DXB 140TP
-------------------------
560TP

Doing that 3 times gives 3 x 560TP = 1680TP

DXB - LHR 20TP

LHR - AMS - LHR 40TP £70

So total is 20 + 1680 + 10 = 1710TP

Cost: £310 + (3 x £660) + £70 = £2360

Price/TP : £2360 / 1710 = £1.38 per TP

(If I have screwed up on the maths please say and I'll correct it!!!!)

I know this is more than the 1500 needed but on this run I either do DXB-CGK 3 times and get more than I need or 2 times and not get enough at 1160TP (I wouldn't do the AMS) and then I'd have to do something else for 340TP which is likely to be much more expensive than just doing an extra DXB-CGK. Remember, each DXB - CGK return is only £660 for 560TP (£1.17 per TP). Incredible value. If anyone has a way for me to get 340TP for under £660 then it would make sense to do just 2 CGK runs. Do you have any ideas? I can't say I am all that enamored at 3 x DXB - CGK but it really is great value.

I did consider trying to stay in UK time. All flights have lie-flat seats so I could sleep on the flights but I have decided not to do that. I feel that spreading it out and having a hotel night at each DXB and CGK stopover would be kinder on my aging body!! I might have just gone for doing everything b2b where possible in my younger days but something like this is a challenge for even the fittest so I don't want to push my luck health wise. Avoiding the booze, eating in ways that doesn't give me continuous indigestion, staying hydrated and getting enough sleep will be a challenge regardless for a 12 day trip like this.

I would do it HBO so at least no luggage to worry about.

PS Of course there is the cost of the hotels at 5 x £70 (average) plus a bit for food when in the hotels but I am not including any of this in the flight costs above.

Last edited by snaxmuppet; Nov 7, 2018 at 2:01 pm Reason: Corrected calculation for LHR-AMS-LHR TPs
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:45 am

The trick with timing and jetlag on this sort of trip is not to overthink it. Just sleep when tired and wake up when required to wake up. As you're in an armchair for most of it, it's nowhere near as frenetic as you might think. Your body will settle into some sort of rhythm, if you try and force yourself into or out of any timezone I find it's counterproductive.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Some practical stuff, having done a similar trip recently (not as many segments), there is a very good transit hotel in CMB terminal for about $65US for 8 hours. Good for recovery, I used it both directions.

UL is a little agricultural in J in comparison with other airlines. The food isn't fantastic, the seats (1 2 1) are OK but not brilliant (I was in 2K for four legs which was a bit weird after a while, maybe change seats to relieve the monotony). The tea is good - they bring you a pot on a tray, I had quite a lot of that. Crew friendly and down to earth and the legs are reasonably short (the flights, not the crews').

In Jakarta I think you need a visa on arrival? Haven't been for a while but as I recall that was payable in US dollars. And a recommendation for the Bandara hotel which I have used and which is comfortable and avoids traffic.

It's a crazy schedule, but should be fun.
From the Foreign Office Travel Advice page on Entry Requirements for Indonesia:

"If you’re travelling on a British Citizen passport, you don’t need a visa to enter Indonesia for visits of up to 30 days, calculated to include your date of arrival and date of departure."

However, I don't know how they feel about multiple entries during that time (I will find out in March !!)

Also I had a bit of fun myself at DXB when checking in for CMB on UL ... the agent was adamant I needed an Indonesian visa, luckily there was a supervisor there who knew better and overruled him
bisonrav likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:59 am

My last trip to Jakarta was a few years ago, so good to know it's easier now. It wasn't difficult then, to be honest, just queue up and get one.

Oh, and THE BIG THING TO KNOW about UL is that you MUST have your original payment card with you. I had quite a lot of difficulty with that because I didn't, as documented in the GGL thread.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Indonesia is Visa free for 140 countries, so that means the usual Western Countries.

Oh, and THE BIG THING TO KNOW about UL is that you MUST have your original payment card with you. I had quite a lot of difficulty with that because I didn't, as documented in the GGL thread.
I would 2nd that, although I could have gotten away with no showing it. I already had a boarding pass as I had interlined my baggage with a CX flight to DXB who printed them out already, and I just wanted boarding passes on UL ticket stock so went to the transfer/ticket desk in T1 (who asked for my credit card) to ask them to reprint them. A bit pointless as they pointed it out on generic Dubai Airport cards.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Been on here before with similar requests but I'm still trying to find the best shortish notice deals to the Far East as I click off the last few points to GGL.
I'm down to only 165TPs to get by Dec, so a PE return would do it and conveniently I have to be HKG (again) on morning of 27th November (I can leave again that night) but I can't find an ex-UK WTP / PE for less than £1,500 and J for under £2,500. If I'm in WTP / PE I'd rather arrive on 26th, if in J I don't mind arriving on 27th.

I have seen Dublin in PE with CX for £900 but while would work time wise as it arrives early on the 27th and leaves again that night it is pretty punishing on the body.

Any other suggestions?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:54 am

EDIT - Deleted as got wrong destination

Last edited by bisonrav; Nov 7, 2018 at 8:04 am
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
Thanks... yes, I am sure I could get it ticketed through a travel agent via bookwithmatrix but I really didn't want to use a TA... neither did I want to use a GBP credit card and pay in anything other than GBP. Thanks anyway but I have now planned a run for Gold to the East

I am planning:

LHR - DXB BA Y (part pay with Avios)

DXB - CMB - CGK UL
CGK - CMB - DXB UL

All in J.

Doing that 3 times with a 1 night stopover in DXB. Hotels are so cheap in CGK that I am staying a night there each time through also to save me worrying about the tight b2b.

Then:
DXB - LHR Y (the return from my outbound)

Then to get up to the 4 qualifying flights I am doing:

LHR - AMS - LHR with BA in Y (only £60 cash!)

Then home for a well-earned rest but as a Gold member!

With so much slack built in (an overnight hotel stay at each DXB and CGK) I am hoping that it is a more relaxed trip than say, with b2bs at CGK or DXB. I have the time and the hotels aren't expensive.

I am booking the BA legs on ba.com and the UL legs direct with UL as a set of 3 DXB - CGK returns on separate tickets.

Can anyone see any issues I may have missed?
I don't know if you are missing anything here but I must be.

Pricing for this trip on Matrix starting from DXB are coming out at £1,676.

Pricing for the trip starting from CGK are £753.

Where am I going wrong??
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by IFE Wizard
I don't know if you are missing anything here but I must be.

Pricing for this trip on Matrix starting from DXB are coming out at £1,676.

Pricing for the trip starting from CGK are £753.

Where am I going wrong??
It seems to only be in March 2019...

Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
I don't know if it was mentioned before but Finnair is using its A333 on some Fri and Sun flights on HEL-AGP this winter. Same plane return HEL-AGP-HEL (280TPs) is available for 599€. Starting from OSL, GOT or LED requires an overnight in HEL both ways with a cost of ~770€ for 360TPs and even available from BGO for 644€ for the same 360TPs.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
Opps! Sorry, seemed to have screwed that up.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:50 am

I even went to the UL web site to check I can get the same price there and I can.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Centurion, HH Diam
I can find the DXB-CMB-CGK all day long.

If you check Google flights that trip can be had on a LOT of dates
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=D...;sc:b;sd:1;t:f

On Matrix as well:
Matrix - ITA Software by Google
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I am looking at March. My TP year ends 8th March so I am planning on doing the run in March/April (before my current Silver privileges expire) and that would give me 2 years of Gold and then a year of Silver with the soft landing. Not bad value IMHO.

Figures are:

LHR - DXB 20TP £310 (part pay with Avios)

DXB - CMB 140TP £660 for each return
CMB - CGK 140TP
CGK - CMB 140TP
CMB - DXB 140TP
-------------------------
560TP

Doing that 3 times gives 3 x 560TP = 1680TP

DXB - LHR 20TP

LHR - AMS - LHR 40TP £70

So total is 20 + 1680 + 40 = 1740TP

Cost: £310 + (3 x £660) + £70 = £2360

Price/TP : £2360 / 1740 = £1.35 per TP

(If I have screwed up on the maths please say and I'll correct it!!!!)

I know this is more than the 1500 needed but on this run I either do DXB-CGK 3 times and get more than I need or 2 times and not get enough at 1160TP (I wouldn't do the AMS) and then I'd have to do something else for 340TP which is likely to be much more expensive than just doing an extra DXB-CGK. Remember, each DXB - CGK return is only £660 for 560TP (£1.17 per TP). Incredible value. If anyone has a way for me to get 340TP for under £660 then it would make sense to do just 2 CGK runs. Do you have any ideas? I can't say I am all that enamored at 3 x DXB - CGK but it really is great value.

I did consider trying to stay in UK time. All flights have lie-flat seats so I could sleep on the flights but I have decided not to do that. I feel that spreading it out and having a hotel night at each DXB and CGK stopover would be kinder on my aging body!! I might have just gone for doing everything b2b where possible in my younger days but something like this is a challenge for even the fittest so I don't want to push my luck health wise. Avoiding the booze, eating in ways that doesn't give me continuous indigestion, staying hydrated and getting enough sleep will be a challenge regardless for a 12 day trip like this.

I would do it HBO so at least no luggage to worry about.

PS Of course there is the cost of the hotels at 5 x £70 (average) plus a bit for food when in the hotels but I am not including any of this in the flight costs above.
How are you getting LHR/AMS/LHR for £70 for 40TPs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.