Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drivers licence left at check in

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:23 am

At airports I'm pretty vigilant about recovering documents as I know I'll have to provide them, and also want to be prepared at the next stage. Onboard I sometimes get lazy, and I'm grateful that I've had great people looking after me on the few occasions I've needed. Most recently (several months back) a BA cabin crew came to chase me in the baggage hall with my wallet, which had slipped out of my trouser pocket unnoticed. As it happened, I had already noticed I'd left my iPad under the tray between 1A and 1C on the NCE-LHR, and the same crew that brought my wallet made calls to look for (and eventually recover) my iPad as well.

But I've also had cases where I'm asked for a document (usually a passport) somewhat unexpectedly - most often a hotel and at an off-hour check-in. And the worst is always when they feel some need to make a photocopy and they take it off somewhere to do so. And then they forget. And then I forget, because I use my passport for international travel, and hadn't crossed a border in weeks.

Frankly, once was enough on that, and I'm going to start proposing that if they need a copy of my passport, I'll email a copy to them...
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:43 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by GLABA
So its my fault? That figures.

Could you correct the luggage point database entry then? They must've mis-recorded it as found at 'BA check in' huh? :-)

Quite happy to accept I'm at fault here - but why push all the fault to me without any more info? Seems you've just jumped to a conclusion erroneously in the same way other suggest I have.
No. The only you only reach conclusions about something that you understand. Frankly I don't as I would be just pleased to get it back. Who was to blame would be the last of my concerns.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:26 pm

Could you correct the luggage point database entry then? They must've mis-recorded it as found at 'BA check in' huh? :-)

Quite happy to accept I'm at fault here - but why push all the fault to me without any more info? Seems you've just jumped to a conclusion erroneously in the same way other suggest I have.
It states that it was found at "easyjet"

https://www.airport-lostproperty.com....php?id=256340
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lfc84
It states that it was found at "easyjet"

https://www.airport-lostproperty.com....php?id=256340
If I'm looking at the same item, that was found on 26 December. The OP lost theirs on 18 December, if I read their post correctly.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

That's not quite the same thing. The issue is that your responsibility is certain while anyone else's is just assumed. Even the 'BA check in' location could mean a whole range of things including on the floor in the BA check in area, or even that someone picked it up nearby and decided to take it back to the check in desks which then passed it on to lost and found.

The bottom line is that whilst you say that you are not trying to blame the check in agent, that is in fact exactly what you are doing to the point of trying to ascribe financial responsibility to the agent and his/her employer. Let's put it that way: if your hunch is right that the agent did not return the drivers' licence and then BA pays for its recovery (not unreasonable) then it would be equally be logical for BA to then recover said fee from the agent at fault, taking it off next month salary. Do you genuinely believe that it would be fair to do that on the basis of a "I don't remember what happened but since I don't actually remember getting the driver's licence back and it was found in the BA check in area, I'll have to assume that this is the most likely thing to have happened"? I don't. I think it would be grossly unfair to declare liability based on a complete lack of evidence which is what we have here.

So maybe you are right and the agent did wrong or maybe you are wrong, who knows. Your initial account was appropriately unsure and on that basis you are the only person whose fault is clearly established. Everyone else's is pure speculation, and in my opinion, determining liability (including financial) based on pure speculation would be nothing short of ludicrous. As others have suggested, be happy that the driver's licence was not stolen by someone with ill intentions and that this moment of half-sleepiness ended up resulting in a very minor inconvenience, be reassured that it can happen to anyone of us - and indeed does to most at one point or another - and just move on being gracious enough not to assume guilt where you are absolutely not sure that it is.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:02 am

Driving license was lost, found and re-united with it's owner.

Only on FT could this type of incident be turned into several pages of Agatha Christie style nonsense. Perhaps this thread will run longer than The Mousetrap.
gillyd22 and BERbound like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.