Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scrambled eggs in LHR lounges

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Don't assume a poached egg ordered in a restaurant definitely entered the kitchen in a shell... https://www.brake.co.uk/products/dai...-poached-eggs/
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
In the US I often see the worst attempt of scrambled eggs, it looks like rubber, tastes like rubber - if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....? Even when coated in cheese, salsa and hot sauce, it still tastes rank.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I must say I don't actually find the Concorde Room benedict that good (hollandaise is fake industrial stuff, not much better than egg mixture for the scramble) but I quite like their California benedict with mashed avocado.
The few times I have been in there for breakfast, I ordered the California Benedict and was very happy.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
A chef once told me it wasn't possible to serve scrambled eggs in a buffet.

Scrambled eggs are to be made fresh, and can't be kept warm just like that. Otherwise you just get a glorified omelette.

On the other hand, the egg and cheese sandwiches taste alright!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Different strokes for different folks.....

I had scrambled eggs and salmon from the GF menu on Wed morning and thought it was very good, not sure if it is anything different from the buffet
scrambled eggs it was certainly not pale, grey or rubbery. Also on the way back on Thu night had the curry from the GF menu and thought it was
one of the tastiest things I've ever had in a BA lounge.

Cheers

DtB
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by zappomatic
Don't assume a poached egg ordered in a restaurant definitely entered the kitchen in a shell... https://www.brake.co.uk/products/dai...-poached-eggs/
​​​​​​​

Is nothing sacred?! I thought poached eggs were more or less safe…
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by squawk

​​​​​​​

Is nothing sacred?! I thought poached eggs were more or less safe…
You'd be able to tell if it's one of those packet things.
orbitmic likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 18, 2017 at 3:01 am
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Originally Posted by Worcester
Best recipe for scrambled eggs was by Ian Fleming a la James Bond
err, never season the eggs at the start of cooking. Wait till they're scrambling...
And whisk them up with your spatula while they're on the heat.

Here ya go: Gold standard scrambled eggs..

Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
I've always found the scrambled eggs at Giraffe in T5 pretty good. Never tried them in the BA lounges.

When I stay in hotels I always order poached eggs rather than eating scrambled eggs off the buffet, essentially because I think that this significantly narrows the likelihood of the recipe containing anything other than an egg!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
The liquid egg products I have seen only contain eggs, which have been filtered and pasteurised, so no nasties. Given the choice, I'd still prefer fresh eggs, but to be honest I doubt I would be able to tell the difference in omelettes, scrambled eggs, quiches etc.
The large 5 liter Tetra Pak containers, with egg mix containing lots of additives ( 'nasties' ) are not sold in stores that cater for the public, but distributed by whole-sale firms to restaurants/hotels etc. The public awareness of certain additives would propably pose some difficulties in selling this much cheaper (in all aspects) product on the open market
orbitmic and Worcester like this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
What's this latest fad... egg whites? I can understand people not wanting to eat the yokes for some medical reason but I can't imagine for the life of me why people would do it voluntarily without a medical reason. Do they taste nice? I am foxed.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by MrsW
I find the best thing to order for breakfast in the lounge is eggs Benedict. They are delicious. If you’re peckish order a double portion.
I wish they'd have Eggs Florentine on the menu.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Scrambled Eggs has come up on the board before Whoda THinkit: British Airways Espouses How Best To Make Scrambled Eggs on a Plane and here you can find out the best way to make Scrambled Eggs at altitude.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

41 posts and nearly 3,000 views about Scrambled Eggs?! This place is bonkers at times, some crazy folks yolks on here!
Sealink and orbitmic like this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by PETER01
41 posts and nearly 3,000 views about Scrambled Eggs?! This place is bonkers at times, some crazy folks yolks on here!
The egg ingredient has been poached by the industry and replaced partly by chemicals, something that make some posters feel basted. But, please don't take the hard-boiled attitude about it. Sunny side up is the way to go!

Otherwise, one might find that it's one small egg for man, a giant frittata for mankind.

This post has been scrambled together at the last minute before breakfast.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by McCoy
err, never season the eggs at the start of cooking. Wait till they're scrambling...
And whisk them up with your spatula while they're on the heat.

Here ya go: Gold standard scrambled eggs..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0
With all due respects to chef Ramsey, I prefer actually to add the pepper as I melt the butter (I used a mix of black, white and green peppercorns), and then get a browning of the butter, before turning down the heat and adding the eggs. I also split a couple of extra eggs and add the yolks to make it richer. Of course, the eggs are critical. My favorites are from Burford Browns who have a lovely rich, deep orange yolk (they also come with Avios when purchased from Tescos).
McCoy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.