Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Kicked

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Bizarre... first time I've ever heard of a seat kicking giving somebody neck pain
Sounds like whiplash. I can pass on the OP's details the next time I get a call from an injury lawyer...
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bookish
Why didn't you offer to swap seats with the mother and her daughter if kicking the back of your seat was such an issue?

As​​​​ a parent, I have a lot of understanding for people traveling with children, especially those who are young or disabled. I can just imagine the looks you gave the mother, the looks she was getting from everyone else and the accompanying embarrassment she felt with all of the attention on the situation.
Or even better:

The "tall man" who seemed so concerned about the situation could have volunteered to switch seats with the OP, thereby putting his money where his mouth is, instead of making things worse with a snide, self-righteous harangue.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I wasn’t there, and it’s hard to understand a thread like this. I don’t quite see what the OP is seeking. I’m clearly obtuse but whatever happens, you need to deal with it at source. Frankly, I find the whole story somewhat far-fetched but I’d love to hear the other side of the story. I realise that English is not the OP’s first language which might not help the narrative,
KeaneJohn and CloudGazer like this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by rakehey
Think you need some equality and diversity training...
why? the kid kicking the chair should have been controlled by its parent. The guy threatening and harrassing him should have been reported to the police. What's the problem?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If it's done very hard, it can, mainly through jolting action.

I've had it happen to me, unfortunately. I suffered in silence for the next few days instead though.
What nonsense unless it was Shaquille O'Neal or Hulk Hogan. A child kicked a seat so hard it caused injury? Get real.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
What nonsense unless it was Shaquille O'Neal or Hulk Hogan. A child kicked a seat so hard it caused injury? Get real.
They were in economy, where would either of those find the space to get the necessary leverage for the kick, you know, if we're keeping it real.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I wasn't there so it's too easy to be judgmental.

What I would say is that just about the only advantage of the ageing process is that you come to realise that de-escalating problems is a very powerful tool, once you've got the hang of it. Confrontation tends to go one way and is rarely productive or has good outcomes. De-escalation tends to get you what you want with minimal effort. So my general approach is to first reflect (not easy to do in the heat of the moment) and work out solutions. Broadly speaking, soft words get met with soft words, and it's difficult to lose your temper with someone being kind to you. In this specific scenario, given you're all trapped in a metal tube at 35,000 feet, realistically there isn't a lot a cabin crew member can do, it's more about trying to engage with the mother to help you, in a kind and positive atmosphere. Issuing unfulfillable deportation threats against a third party doesn't fit that model at all, and doesn't do anything to help, as you have seen. Sure, if things get out of hand talk to the cabin crew, but you best request the Customer Service Manager (or Director) to get involved since they will have the skills and experience to sort it out. But ideally best not to let it get anywhere near there.

And in the spirit of the above mindset, I hope you get over this experience and don't let it get to you. Things do sometimes happen and in a day or two it will probably rankle less than it does now. I'm sure your next flight will not have this problem, it was probably a one off.
So beautifully articulate.

I'd have said something like "you handled it in the most numb-skullingly awful way possible". But I prefer your response.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:42 am

The more you read the OP, the OP comes across as a total tool.

If you want a good case study on over-reaction then this is it.

I dare say that the 'tall man' got involved due to the girl having some disability and the OP acting like some drama queen. The initial response in calling the FA was most likely an over reaction but you don't suffer from whiplash allegedly requiring ice treatment and then get up and walk off the plane yourself whilst simultaneously alleging assault against two harassed parents and coming out with some ridiculous threat about deportation.

The OP was so seriously injured that I'm surprised the FA didn't summon a wheelchair and have him taken for medical checks.

I would suggest that the OP will not return here. When people make themselves look so foolish they generally don't.

EDIT: as suggested by Finkface a review of the OP's posting history reveals this remarkably similar incident from 9 months ago, unbelievably with further embellishments. As cross posting is not permitted maybe a good opportunity to bury this thread once and for all.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28046304-post46.html
smuDC-10, Stez, Silver Fox and 3 others like this.

Last edited by simons1; Dec 17, 2017 at 1:57 am
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
In my case it was a large, drunk adult. In case I get falsely accused of having my seat reclined based on some wild assumptions, as well as being rudely told 'what nonsense' and to 'get real' as if I were imagining things, I should perhaps clarify that I had my seat fully upright at the time. Come to think of it, it probably gave the drunk guy extra space to gather more momentum.

Just saying that it can happen and that the OP's comment about the neck pain caused by a kick on the seat cannot necessarily be dismissed outright as a fib or exaggeration as has been done by some, without taking position in support of the OP or otherwise (although I do think the OP has over-reacted given the circumstance, although in my case I should have reported the drunk to cabin crew instead of saying nothing, perhaps.)

If hit on the upper part of the seat, it can move a fair bit and can cause your neck to jolt and cause issues (especially if you are prone to neck issues in the first place). Although it was a large adult in my case, I can see it can happen even if it was done by a child.

I prefer not to jump to a conclusion that it was some kind of a nonsense and give most situations at least some benefit of the doubt even if I do not agree with the position taken by the poster.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
EDIT: as suggested by Finkface a review of the OP's posting history reveals this remarkably similar incident from 9 months ago, unbelievably with further embellishments. As cross posting is not permitted maybe a good opportunity to bury this thread once and for all.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28046304-post46.html
That's almost the same story, word for word. Both threads must just be trolling.

​​​​​Mod action required to close this one down.
GLA, Stez, Silver Fox and 2 others like this.

Last edited by ianwall; Dec 17, 2017 at 2:35 am
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Sadly this is one of those where FLYERTALK isn’t at its best. None of us were they we can’t judge the yet we seem qualified to comment. Indeed I doubt many would travel long haul Y so potentially not able to relate.

Clearly unpleasant enough for someone to come here and comment. Surprised this thread has been open so long but I think CWS has (again) summarised the situation perfectly and I don’t see much value to this thread continuing.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:36 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The OP appears to have extraordinary bad luck with seat kicking incidents with disabled children, and at this stage perhaps he’s had enough advice to understand what to do if his terrible run continues.

An appropriate time to close this thread.

NWIFlyer
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.