Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Choosing to depart from T3 rather than T5 for the excellent lounges.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK,BA,QR

I am inclined think that I would. We are leaving from there in 2018 on BA F to YVR, I'm so glad it's not T5 as it would seem from reviews that in T3 the new QF lounge is great, as is the CX lounge, plus it has an F area to relax and dine in.

It's sad in a way that as LHR is BA's home base and it's Flagship lounges are, in many ways, inferior to these OW lounges in T3 Yes, CCR has it's advantages and it's "charm"! (we'll use it on our return). Of course, it's not possible to choose in most cases, however, given that we could choose on that occasion, I'm just interested to know if many others would do the same.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
If travelling with family I would go out of my way to fly from T3 if possible. For the simple reason I can get my kids into the Qantas lounge as OW status holder.
As for business. I will just do whatever is quickest and easiest. I try and time my flights so I don't even have time for the lounges anyway. 40 mins in wagamamas and im onto the plane usually in T5.
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:58 am

It is already a factor in why i choose CX or AY over BA for anything to the East. Even when in T5 i sometimes will sit in one of the cafes/restaurants over the T5 lounges.

If only QR would move to T3 too.
offtothehills and Flame3601 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
I love the CX lounge but will always ultimately be driven by factors like operating carrier and ease of travel - i.e. won't throw in an unnecessary connection just to be able to depart from T3.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
We don't fly from T3 very often but would really like to try the new OW lounges so are thinking of doing a quick trip to somewhere on a Saturday afternoon (so we can enjoy all the lounges), flying back on Sunday. So far we've found that Prague and Luxembourg seem to be quite cheap. Any other suggestions?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by tuff
We don't fly from T3 very often but would really like to try the new OW lounges so are thinking of doing a quick trip to somewhere on a Saturday afternoon (so we can enjoy all the lounges), flying back on Sunday. So far we've found that Prague and Luxembourg seem to be quite cheap. Any other suggestions?
The ever helpful corporate-wage-slave has got you covered:

List of BA flights from T3

Barcelona maybe? But my vote would be LUX. Short flight, lovely place to visit, nice enough lounge at the other end.
squawk likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
I like the T3 lounges, but the extra travel time for me versus T5 (I come form the south) is enough to swing T5 in most cases.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by tuff
Budapest is also a good shout. It's a fantastic city to visit, and not nearly as touristy as Prague. Very good prices on hotels too.
BerksFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by offtothehills
I am inclined think that I would. We are leaving from there in 2018 on BA F to YVR, I'm so glad it's not T5 as it would seem from reviews that in T3 the new QF lounge is great, as is the CX lounge, plus it has an F area to relax and dine in.

It's sad in a way that as LHR is BA's home base and it's Flagship lounges are, in many ways, inferior to these OW lounges in T3 Yes, CCR has it's advantages and it's "charm"! (we'll use it on our return). Of course, it's not possible to choose in most cases, however, given that we could choose on that occasion, I'm just interested to know if many others would do the same.
It is a shame the CCR is maybe now 3rd best lounge in the OW network at LHR. Add to the fact that emeralds can frequent the QF and CX F lounges, and it makes it all the worse. Typical of BA today though.
offtothehills likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by stevie
It is a shame the CCR is maybe now 3rd best lounge in the OW network at LHR. Add to the fact that emeralds can frequent the QF and CX F lounges, and it makes it all the worse. Typical of BA today though.
The sooner people (in their minds) stop putting BA alongside the likes of Cathay, Qantas, Malaysian, Finnair, Japan etc. The sooner they will stop being dissapointed.
As I consider BA to be an EJ competitor now. I am frequently pleased when I see things like M&S sandwiches being sold on board rather than the "not quite as good options" sold on EJ

It's a great tactic, you can actually convince yourself into thinking that BA is great, and the best budget airline in Europe!
That is.... until you see the fares don't match budget airlines...
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
The sooner people (in their minds) stop putting BA alongside the likes of Cathay, Qantas, Malaysian, Finnair, Japan etc. The sooner they will stop being dissapointed.
As I consider BA to be an EJ competitor now. I am frequently pleased when I see things like M&S sandwiches being sold on board rather than the "not quite as good options" sold on EJ

It's a great tactic, you can actually convince yourself into thinking that BA is great, and the best budget airline in Europe!
That is.... until you see the fares don't match budget airlines...
EJ as in New England Airlines of Westerly RI ?

I am no apologist for BA but I think the comparison is slightly unfair...
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
EJ as in New England Airlines of Westerly RI ?

I am no apologist for BA but I think the comparison is slightly unfair...
Slightly unfair maybe, but at least it's not wholly unfair. Which it would have been 15 years ago.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@offtothehills - your thread (well-intentioned though it is) is not exactly helping my personal quest to encourage as many people as possible to restrict themselves to the BA lounge at T3, thus protecting the CX and QF facilities from overcrowding

More seriously, I see that Rob at headforpoints is also smitten by the new OW lounges, and his site currently features a piece about those BA destinations which provide an opportunity to try them by departing from T3.

Worth a read, and a useful addition to the info given in the CWS post already linked upthread.

Which British Airways flights use Heathrow Terminal 3?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: US Gold
Personally, I vastly prefer T3, lounges or no lounges. It's smaller, quicker to get around, and just a lot less annoying. T5 is a giant shopping mall that just happens to have an airport attached.

wg
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wendyg
Personally, I vastly prefer T3, lounges or no lounges. It's smaller, quicker to get around, and just a lot less annoying. T5 is a giant shopping mall that just happens to have an airport attached.

wg
T5 is indeed nearly 3 times larger than T3. There's a sign in LHR that says that T5B alone is bigger than Stansted, which I find hard to believe. However the walk distances are far greater in T3, 400 metres is typical in T3 and T5 shouldn't go much above 200m, I don't think it's quicker to get around compared to T5. And T3 is a lot more congested than T5, 18 million passengers a year compared to 32 million for T5, given there is only a third of the space.
HIDDY, PETER01 and dylanks like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.