Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comparing F in different planes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Comparing F in different planes

I have been lucky and managed to bag a return in F from LHR to Sin using the amex 241 and off peak.

The massive avios binge all started a year or so ago when we flew the first and only time in F to NYC.

We flew on a 747 then and I enjoyed being in seat 1b for one leg being in the nose.

We are flying on a 777-300 outbound and a a380 back looking at seatguru.
I'm 're read g the various very useful guides on here again so thanks to anyone that has contributed to them.

my question is have there been any changes good or bad since last year? The a380 cabin is obviously slightly different and looks good how is the 777?

cheers

Last edited by 225SG; Dec 14, 2017 at 2:50 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
A380 F seats give you substantially more privacy (and a bit more space IMO) than 777.

No substantial change since last year that I can think of.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
A380 F seats give you substantially more privacy (and a bit more space IMO) than 777.

No substantial change since last year that I can think of.
Agree, there is definitely more personal space in the seat area on the A380 (at least in the window seats, I've never sat in the centre F seats on the A380). In turn I think the 777 F seat has more space in and around the seat than the 747. My order of preference in BA F is A380>777>747 (ignoring the "romance" of the 747 nose). Can't quite decide yet where to place the 789 F seat in that, though of course a different seat to the others.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

IMHO, whilst the A380 F is better thand the 777-300 F, the 777-300 F is still very good ( IFE will be better than the older IFE on some of the 747s ) and feels more spacious than the 747 ( albiet without the feeling of being in the nose with no one in front of you)

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Oaxaca

Agree, there is definitely more personal space in the seat area on the A380 (at least in the window seats, I've never sat in the centre F seats on the A380). In turn I think the 777 F seat has more space in and around the seat than the 747. My order of preference in BA F is A380>777>747 (ignoring the "romance" of the 747 nose). Can't quite decide yet where to place the 789 F seat in that, though of course a different seat to the others.

I agree with you, I can't make my mind up about the B789 F cabin either. The aircraft is obviously significantly narrower than the others and it is certainly noticeable, especially when moving about the aisles.The seat, whilst very comfortable, is a little smaller than the others.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I agree with you, I can't make my mind up about the B789 F cabin either. The aircraft is obviously significantly narrower than the others and it is certainly noticeable, especially when moving about the aisles.The seat, whilst very comfortable, is a little smaller than the others.
the 789 first is the nearest BA get to a suite
high walled and private
I had imagined the 380F to be open and spacious but was surprised to find it also more high walled than the 777/747 but not as extreme as the 789 but stangely feels like quite a cramped cabin

the trouble with the high walled varients is that you dont feel part of an exclusive lounge like you do in the 747/777 and you cant have a little nose around!

I still think rows 1 and 2 of the 747 are the trump card in F
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by allturnleft

the 789 first is the nearest BA get to a suite
high walled and private
I had imagined the 380F to be open and spacious but was surprised to find it also more high walled than the 777/747 but not as extreme as the 789 but stangely feels like quite a cramped cabin

the trouble with the high walled varients is that you dont feel part of an exclusive lounge like you do in the 747/777 and you cant have a little nose around!

I still think rows 1 and 2 of the 747 are the trump card in F
That's what I like!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by allturnleft
]
I like the 'cubbyhole' effects of it. I don't want to have a nose around, and I don't like being nosed around.

787 F is even better in that respect (feels more private) than the A380 F, although I fundamentally dislike the 787 due to the window heat.

If I had a choice between the A380 and 777, I'd prefer the A380 by quite a bit, although I personally like the 2K on 777-200 (not the 77W) as there's no passenger seat behind it and I find the traffic volume to be low on that side due to crew rest seat behind it.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:13 pm

The A380 is better than the 777. I don't think the seat itself is much different but there is more space around you and even at takeoff the engines are but a distant hum. I like that there is also a large area around the front doors that you can use to stretch your legs if staff are not sleeping there, and you have the benefit of the improved air quality and smoother ride.

When BA first got their A380s there was a special menu and different coloured PJs but those have all been removed now. Service is pretty much the same across all aircraft.

Both are a million miles away from the 747 which really is pushing the boundaries of a First Class designation these days. You will find the A380 and 777 are much better.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I find this thread useful but I'm thinking that the responses are mostly from the perspective of solo travellers. I have couple of 2-4-1's to use up but no experience of F on either the 380 or 787. I'm wondering which of all the BA F options is best overall for a couple who want to feel they are travelling together rather than as 2 individuals?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I find this thread useful but I'm thinking that the responses are mostly from the perspective of solo travellers. I have couple of 2-4-1's to use up but no experience of F on either the 380 or 787. I'm wondering which of them is better for a couple who want to feel they are travelling together rather than as 2 individuals.
Middle pairs are the only option for that.

If you book two seats across the aisle from each other, you would barely see each other as placement of seats is staggered a bit, and tandem is very much tandem and you won't see each other.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:34 pm

I find this thread useful but I'm thinking that the responses are mostly from the perspective of solo travellers. I have couple of 2-4-1's to use up but no experience of F on either the 380 or 787. I'm wondering which of all the BA F options is best overall for a couple who want to feel they are travelling together rather than as 2 individuals?
I have travelled as a couple on the A380. I think the middle seats are too far apart, you have to really lean forward to see each other and are still some distance apart, and you have to walk out of the cabin and around to join them in the buddy seat. The best options are two seats in the same aisle, window+window or aisle+window. At least then you can quickly move between each other's seat area.
Blueboys999 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Middle pairs are the only option for that.

If you book two seats across the aisle from each other, you would barely see each other as placement of seats is staggered a bit, and tandem is very much tandem and you won't see each other.
Many thanks.

I was thinking more about which pair layout gives the best level of interaction. My admittedly limited experience on other airlines is very mixed on that point.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:43 pm

Many thanks.

I was thinking more about which pair layout gives the best level of interaction. My admittedly limited experience on other airlines is very mixed on that point.
All the middle pairs seem much the same in terms of how much interactions you can get with each other.

Having said that, F often isn't really the best environment for interactions (and certainly the case with BA F IMO), due to distance between seats. Even the middle pair has a bit of a distance between seats, and even with the privacy screen fully open, it's not really the most interactive environment.

If I really want to interact with my travelling companion (never happened so far, I must admit - my husband and I both prefer a window seat so we either go tandem, or if that's not available, we'd take any window seat, often ending up at the opposite end of the cabin, and that often means we've only said 10 words to each other for the whole flight if that but doesn't bother us), I'd choose the middle pair in CW instead of F.
Oaxaca and Blueboys999 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I guess I would be an outlier when I say I much prefer the 777 to the A380 in terms of the seat! The seat on the 747 is definitely the smallest but still ranks highly in my estimation as the trade off of space and flying in the nose still rings quite highly for me.

When it comes to travelling as a couple, I'd tend to agree that F in general isn't great for interaction. I've flown as a couple on the 747, A380 and 787 and when I've been sat in the middle seats we've always thought having the windows would have been preferable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.