Search

NYE party on a plane??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
NYE party on a plane??

Hi everyone,

I'm due to fly JFK>LHR overnight on 31st Dec so will experience NYE somewhere TATL. My wife and I are flying on a 744 on the top deck (definitely my favourite cabin on BA). Other than looking forward to the new DO&CO catering I was wondering if anyone else has had unique experiences and if I might expect anything different. Years ago I flew on 25th Dec in Y and remember the crew being amazing and really celebrating the occasion.

To be clear I'm not expecting anything "special" and would be totally happy with a normal service, although I can guarantee I'll drink more champagne than normal

Thanks, Nick

P.S. Made GCH for the first time this year thanks to all the advice on FT with my company's limited budget, so thanks!
P.P.S. My guilty pleasure, my absolute favourite place to be on a plane is 62K on a BA 744, even over a QR A380 in J
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Given it’s a night flight and given it’s likely to be past NYE UK time and you’ll be somewhere mid flight “local time” that you mark NYE on a very short overnight flight, I’d assume nothing will differ from any other night flight.
orlando flyer and seanp7 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It will depend on how long after takeoff midnight GMT will be but I wouldn’t expect anything special, personally I would just be happy being with the one I love.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I took last flight home on New Years Eve a few years ago. Crews were all wearing New Year glasses and headgear as they arrived at the airport and quite a few looked like they had family or friends travelling with them. Onboard they took their cue from passengers so cabin was mostly dark like normal night service but plenty of drinks for those who wanted it. Happy New Years all round on arrival in London and a fairly calm LHR to transfer through!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, one way or another it's a bit different from your normal NYE, so looking forward to it.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
I was on NYE flight last year. The crew were very happy and very talkative........ "among themselves". They were so happy, guess no one wanted to bother them or ruin their "free time". And I just go to sleep.
i must admit, they did smile genuinely.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:09 am

I flew Virgin economy back from New York on 31st December 1999. Flight was delayed and we actually left after midnight. They distributed champagne at the gate.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:16 am
sgm

Programs: BA Gold
LHR-SAN last December 31st in F. Champagne handed out and cabin crew sang a song on the PA.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Flew back from SJC in F last NYE, slept very comfortably through the midnight hour!! The cabin crew were top notch, and I left with some goodies
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:57 am

I flew to BKK on the TG A380 a couple of years ago on NYE. We were somewhere over the caspian when it became NYD. We were in economy but the crew pretty much allowed a free flow of drinks. There was music at the back of the plane and people were dancing and in very high spirits. It was easily my best economy I've flown and probably the most fun flight I've had.
smokie36 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:22 am
Original Poster

I was also thinking, do you get to celebrate it multiple times if you're flying West as you travel through each time zone? That would be fun an totally unnecessary, unfortunately I'll be flying East.
missdimeaner likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
I was also thinking, do you get to celebrate it multiple times if you're flying West as you travel through each time zone? That would be fun an totally unnecessary, unfortunately I'll be flying East.
I was on a boat one NYE in a harbour in the Caribbean. We were slightly surprised at 6pm when one of the boats quite close to us let off a flare and made a hell of a lot of noise banging pans, cheering, opening champagne, etc. It was only when we spotted that it had a Finnish flag on it did we work out that they had just reached midnight in Finland. Then at 7pm another boat this time Germans did the same thing but they were a bit further away and it was less of a surprise. Then we being British did something slightly less noisy at 8pm when it hit midnight in London. Then a lot of people repeated this at midnight local time.
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I was on a boat one NYE in a harbour in the Caribbean. We were slightly surprised at 6pm when one of the boats quite close to us let off a flare and made a hell of a lot of noise banging pans, cheering, opening champagne, etc. It was only when we spotted that it had a Finnish flag on it did we work out that they had just reached midnight in Finland. Then at 7pm another boat this time Germans did the same thing but they were a bit further away and it was less of a surprise. Then we being British did something slightly less noisy at 8pm when it hit midnight in London. Then a lot of people repeated this at midnight local time.
That seems to be taking "applying the regulations of the country of registration" a bit too far ...
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That seems to be taking "applying the regulations of the country of registration" a bit too far ...
Hey a party is a party and it's always post 6pm somewhere in the world . When your quiet evening is shattered by a load of Finns suddenly making a hell of a racket you tend to take notice. I just remember after that we were expecting it at 7pm from our European neighbours .
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
I'm on an AA TATL JFK-LHR on NYE too - will report back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.