Wiki Posts
Search

Rental Car Hire

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Rental Car Hire

Hi,

I'm looking to book a car in Miami for march. While doing so on the BA website I have a hard time determining the conditions. I see CDW, etc. is included. But when I read the conditions I see that there is an excess amount, which is not covered by the insurce included in the car. However I cann't find the amount of the excess and I can't find an option to add extra insurance to be included in the rental for this excess amount.

Any help with this? Because I would like to book with BA for getting the Avios, but I do not want to be liable for any amount. Is it possible to book Avis via Rentalcars.com for instance (which has this service) and still get the Avios for the booking?

Thank you for your replies!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Are you booking through Avis/BA? I've never had an issue with them, or needed extra insurance, but Florida may have it's own funny nuances.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:55 am

Can you use avis.com or avis.co.uk to book? Is the price the same there? The terms and conditions are probably clearer.

You can enter your BAEC number and earn the Avios that way.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
My experience of hiring cars in FL is limited, but the twice I have done this I have booked with BA. Both times I have found the same as yourself online regarding CDW, excess etc. On the first occasion I was stung and paid for the zero excess locally at the desk at MIA which IIRC was more than the car hire itself. Since then, I just accept basic cover when booking and decline any local offers. Instead I take advantage of having separate excess policy cover through carhireexcess.co.uk, although there will be many more I guess.
dddc likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I believe BA cover all you need in terms of insurance etc. However some companies that offer free hire cars with a holiday booking then fleece you by charging an arm and a leg for the excess insurance etc.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve booked through BA with Avis in Florida, Texas and Minnesota, all the insurance you need with a 0 excess has always been included. What is not included is PAI, which is insuring yourself for things that would normally be covered in decent travel insurance assuming you have that. The other exclusion is roadside assistance. This one is more complex, but essentially if the car breaks down your fine, but if want to call them to change a tyre for you, they won’t, or if you lock yourself out, keys in the car type situation they’ll charge you, roadside assistance covers those sorts of things. Interestingly, as I read it, the insurance also doesn’t cover things like the windscreen breaking, or a tyre blowing, I think roadside does cover this but best check yourself. I usually rent enough that I have one of the annual cover all policies for overseas rentals provided by insurance4carhire, there are others. These are fill in policies that cover excesses or any of the things the other insurance doesn’t.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
And the AMEX Platinum card also includes hire car insurance.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:36 pm

My experience is as per ‘dougzz’ with BA car rental in Florida. Zero excess, but some funny nuisances with tyres etc. I find car rental on BA is generally good insurance wise (compared to Avis.com/hertz etc).

An annual excess policy covers for about £60 covers everything else, which if you rent a few times over the year around the world is worth it. I’ve even claimed once for a flat tyre once and it paid out very fairly.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:08 pm

As mentioned BA with AVIS includes the main insurances of CDW(LDW) and SLI so unless you want the extended breakdown protection (lost keys etc) you should be good to go. The excess on CDW is 0 in FLorida (unlike Ireland where it was 1200 euros unless you brought another insurance at the counter!).
If using the toll roads AVIS will charge $3.75 a day plus tolls up to a max of $19.75 for the rental plus tolls if you use the toll by plate system. The charge is for every day of the rental and not just the days you use the tolls. You get billed a month or two later.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, AVIS Preferred Plus
I booked a few cars via BA and the LDW and ALI are normally always included. Additionally I always book cars at avis via the german side avis.de, because I am german. Due to german law (or european law, not sure) LDW and ALI are automatically always included (only exception I found so far is West Virginia, US). Most of the time the cars are also cheaper, and you can always give avis your BAEC number or claim the avios later at ba.com. If I saw it right you are dutch, so this might also work via the dutch avis side, but I am not 100% sure.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Maze13
I booked a few cars via BA and the LDW and ALI are normally always included. Additionally I always book cars at avis via the german side avis.de, because I am german. Due to german law (or european law, not sure) LDW and ALI are automatically always included (only exception I found so far is West Virginia, US). Most of the time the cars are also cheaper, and you can always give avis your BAEC number or claim the avios later at ba.com. If I saw it right you are dutch, so this might also work via the dutch avis side, but I am not 100% sure.
Willkommen to Flyertalk. Your experience is helpful. Hope you will continue to participate.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by TPloser
As mentioned BA with AVIS includes the main insurances of CDW(LDW) and SLI so unless you want the extended breakdown protection (lost keys etc) you should be good to go. The excess on CDW is 0 in FLorida (unlike Ireland where it was 1200 euros unless you brought another insurance at the counter!).
If using the toll roads AVIS will charge $3.75 a day plus tolls up to a max of $19.75 for the rental plus tolls if you use the toll by plate system. The charge is for every day of the rental and not just the days you use the tolls. You get billed a month or two later.
Worth noting, regarding tolls, that I find Avis' charges to be on the lower end compared to other rental companies, and IMO the fee is fine for the convenience you get.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Maze13
I booked a few cars via BA and the LDW and ALI are normally always included.
I would also like you to greet you to Flyertalk and to the BA forum Maze13. And thank you for sharing your insights, that is what this forum is all about. I hope we will see more of you here. So willkommen, and I hope you haven't got too much snow!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:25 am

Speaking of car hire policy details, I believe I read on Flyertalk that if you book Avis via BA Avios it covers the cost of two drivers at no extra charge. Anyone have a link to where this is documented as I couldn't find the information myself.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by GrahamClarke
Speaking of car hire policy details, I believe I read on Flyertalk that if you book Avis via BA Avios it covers the cost of two drivers at no extra charge. Anyone have a link to where this is documented as I couldn't find the information myself.
Indeed. If you do a dummy booking you will see the information on the page just before paying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.