Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

‘Business Life’ Magazine - Cheap Paper and Print Quality?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond

Had the print and paper quality of BA’s ‘Business Life’ magazine gone downhill?

I was reading the December issue and it is most noticeable.

It it is akin to those free magazines you get on the tube.

Feels very cheap.

No doubt some BA manager has met their KPI by saving 200g of weight per flight by switching to such cheap-quality paper.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer

Feels very cheap.
Well, it is a free magazine on public transport, after all.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Do BA even pay for it?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
They have there own app which is free and you can download each copy to read even when not flying BA
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
No complaints from me.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:35 am

Recycled paper? More environmentally friendly?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
No doubt some BA manager has met their KPI by saving 200g of weight per flight by switching to such cheap-quality paper.
It's owned and managed by a wholly external company (Cedar Communications) and therefore if this is true, it's not something influenced by any BA manager, bonus-ridden or not.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:01 pm

I had a feel of it today since reading this thread and I couldn't tell any difference from the November one I felt a few days ago (on 30 November to be precise).

I'm sure the print and paper has been like that for quite some time, maybe about 12 months? I think it used to be glossier before that.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I had a feel of it today since reading this thread and I couldn't tell any difference from the November one I felt a few days ago (on 30 November to be precise).

I'm sure the print and paper has been like that for quite some time, maybe about 12 months? I think it used to be glossier before that.
Did exactly the same tonight and couldn’t note any difference from my previous read!

Pilot37
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
It's owned and managed by a wholly external company (Cedar Communications) and therefore if this is true, it's not something influenced by any BA manager, bonus-ridden or not.
Eh?

While it may be outsourced, the suggestion that BA have no influence over its cost or quality or weight seems to be a rather punchy assumption.
The_Editor likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

And there speaks the forum expert on the subject of paper quality.
LTN Phobia has dazzled us with her posts regarding the varying standard of F toilet paper over the years.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It has definitely got worse but it was like that all summer at least.

It is still very good though, potentially the most premium thing in CE :-)
ba_cityflyer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Had the print and paper quality of BA’s ‘Business Life’ magazine gone downhill?

I was reading the December issue and it is most noticeable.

Feels very cheap.

The Business Life and Highlife magazines are printed on PEFC Certified sustainable paper. I am puzzled why anyone would find the paper cheap - the print quality is certainly sharp and colour rich. So what exactly is the gripe? Maybe you don't like the content - who knows as this wasn't something you commented on.

Now, admittedly BA has spent a great deal of time and effort during the past 18-24 months cheapening all manners of its product but TBH, if this is intended as a complaint, frankly it is beyond trivial IMHO.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:44 am

Did the paper test again (note, no loo paper was involves - just the Business Life). Still cannot discern any difference from how I remember the last month's edition felt.

I recall the feel of the paper changed quite a few months ago (7-12 months ago??) but it doesn't feel particularly bad to me.

Not that I am fussed since I am not blowing my nose or wiping anything sensitive with it - I merely read it. And despite my failing eyesight I can still read the print totally fine and it looks crisp enough to me (I am rather fussy with fuzziness in print and on screen so I'd have thought I'd notice if it were bad.)

I'll remember to examine the prints with a jeweller's loupe next time. I was a little distracted by my desire to sleep to do that today.

Oh, and IMO the F loo paper (and any other BA loo paper) still has some ways to go before it passes the fussy-git test by me. But not failing to the extent that I'd do BYO loo paper!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Eh?
While it may be outsourced, the suggestion that BA have no influence over its cost or quality or weight seems to be a rather punchy assumption.
I highly doubt GSM will be part of any contract, though admittedly I don't know for sure. Like any B2B relationship, there will be toing-and-froing when one side decides to reduce costs and see if anyone notices... before putting it back if and only if they do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.