Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Golds, recent amazing first experience on EK/QF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Golds, recent amazing first experience on EK/QF

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Just speak up and ask for it to be served at the time of your choosing.

My favourite trick is reversing the order of the food (e.g. breakfast to be served when everyone else is having dinner, etc. If you are a fussy eater you need to ask for your choice to be put aside or you'd miss out on your choice on your second meal as pretty much everyone else has had their pick by the time you pick yours, and from time to time be warned that it might well get forgotten.
Same here. Especially to HKG / SIN. It's so much better for jet lag.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:04 am
bil

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Nuster
like 2 hotels who proclaimed they were "5 star"?
Isn't there a difference between Shangri-La at The Shard and Hilton in Park Lane? (In both price and quality).

If what you want to claim is that BA has something "inherently" worse than EK, QF, CX, SQ, AF (and many others), and, even if they charged similar amounts for First (in general), the differences between their products wouldn't be minimized — this seems difficult to believe.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:43 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by bil
If what you want to claim is that BA has something "inherently" worse than EK, QF, CX, SQ, AF (and many others), and, even if they charged similar amounts for First (in general), the differences between their products wouldn't be minimized — this seems difficult to believe.
This is evidently true though. BA benefits from its unique position as the home of global business and a lot of the super wealthy. They are also clearly losing F market share pretty rapidly, and if the recent investments in CW are anything to go by, they've presumably been losing CW market share as well.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:54 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
In the end it’s down to individual preferences. Personally I hated EK F (very TOWIE) and I like the more direct routing that BA generally offers. I’m also confused as to why everyone believes BA is struggling. I have yet to fly in a F cabin that isn’t always full
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:54 pm

I flew QF F from DFW to SYD a few months ago and it was outstanding - up there as one of my best flights ever. From the quality of the food and drink, the on-board sommelier, and the sheer professionalism of the crew it was outstanding. They fit the same amount of F seats in the same part of the A380 as BA do, however it's just laid out so much better, giving a far larger useable space for the suite. Really a class airline.
NYLON Boy likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
In the end it’s down to individual preferences
Indeed....although I'm glad the OP enjoyed himself.
Personally I detest flying long haul as nothing in the air will ever beat what I can get on the ground any day of the week.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Firipu
Emeralds can also go to the fantastic Emirates First Class lounge in DXB if flying on QF metal from DXB (until the end of March)
Why only until the end of March? Are access rules changing??
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Indeed....although I'm glad the OP enjoyed himself.
Personally I detest flying long haul as nothing in the air will ever beat what I can get on the ground any day of the week.
We need an EZE-LHR BA F vs overland/overwater thread!

Seriously, the BA F vs EK F vs XX F threads are entirely predictable at this stage and probably not new news to most of us but I genuinely don’t know where to get a decent cuppa in Peru or if a side trip to Paramaribo is worth the effort!

Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: VA Gold
Originally Posted by Dambus
QF are going back to flying SYD-SIN-LHR for QF1/QF2.

QF9/QF10 operate direct to/from Australia, MEL-PER-LHR.

QF/EK partnership continues but no good in DXB for OW elites, only QF ones.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Dambus
QF are not flying through DXB after March 2018. Going back to Singapore transits.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Must...Fly!
QF are going back to flying SYD-SIN-LHR for QF1/QF2.

QF9/QF10 operate direct to/from Australia, MEL-PER-LHR.

QF/EK partnership continues but no good in DXB for OW elites, only QF ones.
Thanks - had not kept up to speed on these changes. Have done DUB-DXB-SYD in the past - need to recheck future options...
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by bil
Isn't there a difference between Shangri-La at The Shard and Hilton in Park Lane? (In both price and quality).

The point in your first paragraph is exactly what I am saying - both hotels are 5 star but vastly different
Sorry did not manage to follow second para.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Just speak up and ask for it to be served at the time of your choosing.
I'm quite an easy-going type of fellow. If the crew say to me ''we will be preparing the meal shortly after take-off, is that OK?'' then I kind of understand that this makes their life easier. That's how it sounded to me anyway, so I'll just go with the flow. Considering that I was on a redemption ticket, and shouldn't have actually been on BA First was another reason I didn't care too much, but I did expect that for a 'dine on demand' service the attitude would be a more of a ''What time would you like to have your meal?'' kind of approach.

Also, the service was funny to watch, with the crew literally running through the cabin - it certainly didn't have the 'premium' feel. Although I imagine this is because they are overworked due to BA cramming in so many seats in First.

My next First flight will be on Qatar, so I'll see if it's better experience.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by headingwest
I'm quite an easy-going type of fellow. If the crew say to me ''we will be preparing the meal shortly after take-off, is that OK?'' then I kind of understand that this makes their life easier. That's how it sounded to me anyway, so I'll just go with the flow. Considering that I was on a redemption ticket, and shouldn't have actually been on BA First was another reason I didn't care too much, but I did expect that for a 'dine on demand' service the attitude would be a more of a ''What time would you like to have your meal?'' kind of approach.

Also, the service was funny to watch, with the crew literally running through the cabin - it certainly didn't have the 'premium' feel. Although I imagine this is because they are overworked due to BA cramming in so many seats in First.

My next First flight will be on Qatar, so I'll see if it's better experience.
Directing criticism at BA due to your own shyness or lack of assertiveness seems rather perverse.

Perhpas your flight on QR will show you quite how disruptive a dine on demand service can be if everyone around you decides to eat at different times, especially on a night flight.
PJSMITH0 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Directing criticism at BA due to your own shyness or lack of assertiveness seems rather perverse.
It was more of an observation than a criticism, but if you see it that way then fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.