Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

50% fewer Avios for World Traveller redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond

Has anyone got this to work? I've been trying to find a flight from HKG but I just can't find the lower Avios price (it should be quoting 9750 Avios). I've been looking at other destinations too but haven't seen any lower quotes yet.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...edemption-sale
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:18 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by headingwest
Has anyone got this to work? I've been trying to find a flight from HKG but I just can't find the lower Avios price (it should be quoting 9750 Avios). I've been looking at other destinations too but haven't seen any lower quotes yet.

If you look at the small print under the picture, it says 'travel from London Heathrow or Gatwick'....
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
If you look at the small print under the picture, it says 'travel from London Heathrow or Gatwick'....
But the even smaller print (well, it's not actually smaller but it does require you to click the T&Cs link) says "travelling to or from London Heathrow or London Gatwick".

So there seems to be some ambiguity there: does this require a trip to start in London?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I tried a random March date for LHR-HKG and got 39k Avios + £340. Not half the Avios cost there so either it hasn't be fully loaded yet or something else.
headingwest likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
So there seems to be some ambiguity there: does this require a trip to start in London?
The terms don't specify that it has to originate from London. It does say, however, that one-way flights are eligible. I think they have forgotten to load the discount prices!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Had a look for LAX as well and that's still full Avios.
That said, ex-GOT, it's around £303 in Y on my dates anyway, and with the taxes or whatever you want to call them, at nearly the same amount, it's better to pay cash, get a few TP and 10k Avios?

LHR-LAX:
32500 Avios + £396.35 for a redemption

GOT-LHR-LAX
£308.66 and earns over 15k Avios as a GCH.

LHR-LAX
£461.91 and earns 13610 Avios as a GCH.

To me, I would rather fly to GOT and pay cash. Still possible to pick up £551 WT+ fares as well.

HKG-LHR, if possible one way would be a cracking deal at less than £10k Avios + £34.

Last edited by xenole; Nov 30, 2017 at 3:02 am
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
Tried to get a quote, but it's still showing the regular pricing. So maybe its an individual-specific offer or it's not live/updated yet?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firipu
Tried to get a quote, but it's still showing the regular pricing. So maybe its an individual-specific offer or it's not live/updated yet?
I followed the link from 'The Club' magazine, so I don't think it's an individual-specific offer. I think someone from Waterside had a lie in and forgot to load the prices when they got to work.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xenole
HKG-LHR, if possible one way would be a cracking deal at less than £10k Avios + £34.
Yes, that's why I was looking! And for me it's € 35.07

Other routes are still not worth it.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
same here
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Point 9

Terms and Conditions
  1. Book directly with British Airways between 30 November and 17 December 2017 for travel between 4 January and 30 June 2018.
  2. This offer applies to both peak and off-peak Avios prices and can be booked by any British Airways Executive Club Member with a sufficient Avios balance.
  3. The required amount of Avios for reward flights in the World Traveller Cabin, travelling to or from London Heathrow or London Gatwick will be reduced by 50%.
  4. The full airline taxes, fees and Carrier charges will apply per person, per flight.
  5. Discounts are available on direct one-way and return British Airways operated flights in the World Traveller cabin only.
  6. All flights are subject to Executive Club Terms and Conditions and British Airways Conditions of Carriage.
  7. Reward flights are strictly subject to availability which may be very limited or not available at all on some routes including Sydney, Santiago de Chile, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, San Jose (Costa Rica) and Grenada.
  8. Reward flights may not be available on some dates.
  9. No registration is required.
  10. Not to be combined with any other offer.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
How about 50% less cash, so that Avios for WT flights costs less cash than just buying a cheap ticket without any avios involved?
EuropeanPete and tynmar like this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC
"Exclusively for Club Members, book between 30 November and 17 December to see your Avios take you further than before. If you're flying from London Gatwick or London Heathrow, you'll need up to 50 per cent fewer Avios for World Traveller flights."

I notice it also says "up to 50% fewer"
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by E14 26C
Point 9
... doesn't mean it's not targeted, but probably a free-for-all.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Because this offer runs until June I think it is better than in previous years. You might not want a 16,250 Avios flight to New York in January but by late June you're not at any risk of freezing to death and cash prices are higher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.