Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 Club Lounge - Etiquette and Best Choice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Avios, Accor Basic, IHG Gold

Very sorry if this information is somewhere else - I've spent quite a while looking for it but I am struggling to find it.

I am travelling alone on the mid afternoon MAN from LHR T5 this coming Friday in Club Europe. There's a good chance I'll be arriving at the airport quite early for a variety of reasons, so would like to spend the time in one of the lounges.

My main question is: what is the etiquette, once I've found somewhere comfortable to sit, if I want to go and get another drink or something to eat and there's nobody to 'save' my space? Is it generally accepted that if I leave a bag by/on my chair, it'll still be availabe when I return or am I asking for trouble? The only lounges I've used before haven't been busy enough for me to be that worried about it, but from what I read here I'm a little worried that either my things will disappear or be moved!

Whilst I'm here, I'm also pondering whether it's worth, given I will have a good 3+ hours before my flight, wandering over to T5B Club and walking back through the passageways? I know my flight will depart from T5A, but what I'm really interested in is just somewhere calm and relatively quiet to pass the time and get a few things done, and from what I've read Galleries North is not going to meet that, and South would be a gamble!? What are your thoughts?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you have more than an hour spare, go to T5B. You certainly won't need to reserve a seat! From a security point of view it's not great to leave things lying around, though I gather that allegations of theft of personal items from the lounges are extremely rare.

And even North has quiet spots at the end that are barely visited by anyone, though the area around the food is generally busy. Some FT posts are subject to hyperbole.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Sounds like I'll just go to T5B then I assume the food and drink options are all the same over there (don't know why I'm asking but I'm sure at some point someone was complaining about them)?

Is the way back to the passageway any more obvious nowadays?

I'm certainly aware it's not great to leave things lying around...and I prefer not to (or at least to keep them in sight), I was just wondering how people make sure they have somewhere to sit! I certainly wouldn't consider leaving anything of any slightly significant value behind.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by andrewkeith5
Sounds like I'll just go to T5B then I assume the food and drink options are all the same over there (don't know why I'm asking but I'm sure at some point someone was complaining about them)?
Food and drinks options in T5B are exactly the same as in the main lounges. Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by andrewkeith5

Is the way back to the passageway any more obvious nowadays?

I'm certainly aware it's not great to leave things lying around...and I prefer not to (or at least to keep them in sight), I was just wondering how people make sure they have somewhere to sit! I certainly wouldn't consider leaving anything of any slightly significant value behind.
Most people manage to find somewhere to sit without having to resort to drastic measures, it's not that bad! Yes, same food and drink (and same timetable) in all 3 lounges. The passageway from T5B isn't hugely obvious, it's the lift near the BA customer service desk, but if you use the guides in the Dashboard you shouldn't get it wrong
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks to you both Exactly what I needed, answered quicker than I could read it!
@JMurray I'll try and enjoy my trip - it mostly depends on what the weather is like for the 10 miles of running involved!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
From a security point of view it's not great to leave things lying around, though I gather that allegations of theft of personal items from the lounges are extremely rare.
There is a big difference between someone leaving a coat / bag whilst they go and get a drink and something to eat and leaving the bag for an extended period whilst they go and do B2B flights!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:53 am

I regularly travel at peak times and 8/10times travel alone. I tend to use the galleries south lounge as I find it quieter and usually leave my carry on by my chair when I go to get food or drink etc. I’ve never had an issue with anyone taking my seat etc

i dont tend to leave vlauables in my case, but have never had any issue with laptops etc in my luggage. In them sod etiquette though of going to be away from my seat for more than a few minutes I do take my belongings.

i doubt you’ll have any issues
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
+1 for T5B. Much more chilled and more like a lounge, less like a canteen.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
if you are concerned about your bags being taken then the North Lounge has an attended cloakroom where you can leave bags and jackets while you are in the lounge.

The walk to the bar areas and coffee machines you are usually in sight of your seat so it is not a big issue. Going to the food counters you might lose sight of your seat,but I don't think I ever lost a seat yet. If you are concerned, let someone near know that you will be away for a couple of minutes and ask if they can make sure nobody sits there. As long as you are not doing this every 5 minutes I am sure people would be fine with that.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:14 am

Just leave your coat or bag on the chair, it'll be fine for a while. You can't go too far, it doesn't take too long to put even every type of slop and salad on a plate!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:46 am

A newspaper and a pair of Poundland reading glasses has always been enough for me.
andrewkeith5 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
If you are really worried about it, why not make a note before leaving your home or office. Stash it in a handy pocket of your carryon bag.

"Please be aware I am away from this seat for a short time and will return very soon."
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:01 am

I leave my bag and phone/tablet charging at a seat whenever I use the lounge and have never had a problem either with theft or being moved. I put my stuff down and then wander fairly frequently to get food/drinks/visit the loo etc. Each visit is typically several minutes and I wouldn't leave stuff unattended for an hour or so but I recognise there is some small risk of theft anytime something is left like that. So far, it's worked out fine.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Crikey, what a response!

Thanks everybody you've successfully averted all my concerns.

On the back of SteveF's newpaper and poundland glasses, I wonder if we should start a little game of who can find the most amusing/interesting place marker?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.