Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2-4-1 expiry extension in extenuating circumstances?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage

Hi everyone,

Earlier this week my father and I were due to fly on a long haul 2-4-1 redemption which we had to cancel at (figuratively speaking) the last minute due to my grandfather (my father's dad) becoming very ill suddenly. The most important thing is he appears to be doing somewhat better now although remains in hospital.

I was able to cancel at T-25 hours, so although down-to-the-wire, we got the avios and most of the cash refunded and the 2-4-1 back. However the voucher is quite close to its expiry (< 4 weeks), it's unlikely we'll get to use it before it runs out, has anyone out there ever managed to get a 2-4-1 expiry extended in extenuating circumstances? Just wondering if there is any precedent out there before calling to ask.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by BHDBOY
Hi everyone,

Earlier this week my father and I were due to fly on a long haul 2-4-1 redemption which we had to cancel at (figuratively speaking) the last minute due to my grandfather (my father's dad) becoming very ill suddenly. The most important thing is he appears to be doing somewhat better now although remains in hospital.

I was able to cancel at T-25 hours, so although down-to-the-wire, we got the avios and most of the cash refunded and the 2-4-1 back. However the voucher is quite close to its expiry (< 4 weeks), it's unlikely we'll get to use it before it runs out, has anyone out there ever managed to get a 2-4-1 expiry extended in extenuating circumstances? Just wondering if there is any precedent out there before calling to ask.
The voucher is issued by AMEX, so you would likely be better off to call them. Even if I have never tried it, I doubt it, but it is definitely worth a try! Good luck, and sorry to hear about the family situation!

Edit: Another situation that comes to mind is to book a flight in the future using the 241, and then simply pay change fees to fine tune the dates closer to departure...
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I've not heard of an AMEX 2-4-1 being extended. BA won't be able to help (they can help with GUF1s and GUF2s but not 2-4-1s). You'll definitely need to speak to Amex - and please do report back.. thanks
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
Edit: Another situation that comes to mind is to book a flight in the future using the 241, and then simply pay change fees to fine tune the dates closer to departure...
Sadly the outbound must travel on or before the expiry on a 241 so unless it can be extended this will not work.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Unfortunately, you have not taken the right route. BA are very good with re-scheduling flights due to bereavement / severe illness. They will often allow a re-book of 12 months in advance without charging, on receipt of the relevant proof (Dr's note etc) but by cancelling I think you've blown your chances of this
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:22 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
I'm precedent, albeit a decade ago.

In June 2007 I booked a 2-4-1 LHR-SYD for early April 2008, just before the voucher expired. At the end of 2007, my father became gravely ill. In January 2008, I contacted BAEC asking if there was a possibility of getting a date change beyond the voucher availability, as the likelihood was he would die around the time of the booking. After some back and forth regarding the voucher number, much to my surprise, I received this message:

Originally Posted by BAEC in 2008
Dear dsf

Thank you for your email about your Amex Voucher.

I have passed all the details to the relevant department who will extend this voucher for 3 months. The expiry date of your voucher was 25th April 08, this will be extended until 25th July 2008.

Thank you for your contact.
I didn't speak to Amex at all (since I was requesting a change to a booking, not the already-spent voucher).
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:32 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by dsf
I'm precedent, albeit a decade ago.

In June 2007 I booked a 2-4-1 LHR-SYD for early April 2008, just before the voucher expired. At the end of 2007, my father became gravely ill. In January 2008, I contacted BAEC asking if there was a possibility of getting a date change beyond the voucher availability, as the likelihood was he would die around the time of the booking. After some back and forth regarding the voucher number, much to my surprise, I received this message:

I didn't speak to Amex at all (since I was requesting a change to a booking, not the already-spent voucher).
sadly BA have become a very different airline since 2007! In fact almost unrecognisable
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Unfortunately, you have not taken the right route. BA are very good with re-scheduling flights due to bereavement / severe illness. They will often allow a re-book of 12 months in advance without charging, on receipt of the relevant proof (Dr's note etc) but by cancelling I think you've blown your chances of this
+1. I was going to suggest appealing to BA down this line. Worth a shot but you may indeed have lost the option.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by fdem
sadly BA have become a very different airline since 2007! In fact almost unrecognisable
I have experience of this twice in the last year or so. On the compassionate side, they still remain customer friendly
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Beaulieu
Sadly the outbound must travel on or before the expiry on a 241 so unless it can be extended this will not work.
And this must be all outbound flights, so doing a quick MAN-LHR and keeping the longhaul for later in the year won't work.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Years ago BA would extend a companion voucher for compassionate reasons. I can't say I've seen any reports recently:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1592506-american-express-2-4-1-voucher-issue.html
BAEC - Thanks for your compassion
Expiring companion voucher
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Here is a thread which is also on topic. HeretoHelp made comments on this thread. OP, worth a call and see what happens?

241 extensions can happen...if you get the right person on the phone!

In extenuating circumstances, it can be done for all members regardless of status. With GGL there is no need for extenuating circumstances. For all other tier levels, documentation is required for audit purposes.

I believe at that point there was a lot of inflexibility with Companion vouchers. Over the past couple of years Amex have softened their stance on extending vouchers. I am an agent so I deal with these scenarios. Sorry that the agent couldn't offer much help then. I know how frustrating it is, not just from the customer's perspective but from an employee perspective as well
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: BA, AMEX PP
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I've not heard of an AMEX 2-4-1 being extended. BA won't be able to help (they can help with GUF1s and GUF2s but not 2-4-1s). You'll definitely need to speak to Amex - and please do report back.. thanks
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Years ago BA would extend a companion voucher for compassionate reasons. I can't say I've seen any reports recently:
Had a 2-4-1 extended by 6 months last year due to my wife's serious medical issue. Very well handled by BA. Had to submit medical evidence, but it was extended within 48hrs of making the call.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cluster One
Had a 2-4-1 extended by 6 months last year due to my wife's serious medical issue. Very well handled by BA. Had to submit medical evidence, but it was extended within 48hrs of making the call.
Unfortunately I have had to try to extend a 241 twice in 5 years due to Mrs 'andad having big C that required further surgery twice just before travel and with the vouchers expiring soon thereafter. On both occasions the answer was that it absolutely cannot be done in any circumstances, the last occasion was 2 years ago so maybe the above case shows a softening by BA (really?) more recently. On both occasions I offered to send in proof of surgery required and "not allowed to travel for 6 weeks thereafter" from the surgeon, but it didn't even get that far. The first agent was extremely sympathetic so I believe she really couldn't extend the voucher, in fact gave a £200 MCO which she didn't have to do. Amex, who generally have excellent CR, said that once awarded the voucher belongs to BA, so no go there either.
I hope OP benefits if the rules are indeed now more flexible where proof of the sound reason for cancellation/extension is available.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
Thanks for your feedback everyone. We were offered a 6 month extension to validity which I’m happy with as it opens up some possibilities for summer 2018.

I hadn’t considered the rebooking option mentioned by others, largely because of the tight timescale when the situation unfolded and the fact I didn’t know when it might be suitable to rebook for. For information the query actually was dealt with by BAEC rather than Amex and was promptly replied to (within 24 hours).

Overall, I’m content with the outcome. I hope this is a useful data point for others for the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.