Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Brexit: IAG may have to buy out British shareholders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brexit: IAG may have to buy out British shareholders

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by orbitmic

With respect, I think you are missing the point. The rule is not about E.U. airlines but about airlines allowed to operate domestic flights (ie flights within the EU). The rule is exactly similar to (or more progressive than) what most other countries do - from US to Australia, and from India to South Africa. A British airline can not operate flights from New York to LA but a US airline can, and yes, in the same way, a US airline cannot operate MAD-BCN or NCE-LHR but EU airlines can. In that context, EU airline is defined as one with >50% ownership. Suspending that rule would mean that you’d allow Chinese, Indian, or US airlines to come and compete for EU domestic pax without E.U. airlines being allowed the same anywhere else, and frankly, I think that would be a bit silly.
Not sure what point you think kanderson1965 is missing, I read it as a general question.

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Is there a good reason for the EU to insist on 50% ownership of EU airlines by EU individuals/businesses? To me, it just seems like interfering with a private business’s affairs. If there is a good reason, why is this not extended to all EU businesses?
The answer depends on how laissez-faire you are. Orbitmic has outlined some reasons in support, I would not view them as good.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a good reason for the EU to insist on 50% ownership of EU airlines by EU individuals/businesses?
This is universal practice in airline regulation the world over. Most countries similar or identical rules on ownership and control, with some countries (such as the US) having even stricter rules, and all international air service agreements between countries are based on this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by NickB
This is universal practice in airline regulation the world over. Most countries similar or identical rules on ownership and control, with some countries (such as the US) having even stricter rules, and all international air service agreements between countries are based on this.
That it’s universal practice doesn’t, of course, mean there’s good reason for it.

I’ll leave that particular debate to others, however.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Is there a good reason for the EU to insist on 50% ownership of EU airlines by EU individuals/businesses? To me, it just seems like interfering with a private business’s affairs. If there is a good reason, why is this not extended to all EU businesses?
In some senses no more than the maintenance of a historical political interest in civil aviation ownership and control. The EU is not changing anything, it would merely be enforcing the existing rules, and the UK has chosen to become a “foreign” country for this purpose.

However, the situation is also wider than Brexit. The EU has no incentive to cede further unilaterally on foreign ownership when the US has moved not an inch on the intent of the 2007 EU-US Open Skies Agreement to move towards a mutual limit of 49% ownership of each others airlines. The US limit remains at 25%, and Japan’s is at 33%. Aviation remains politicised. There’s an interesting CAPA article on the subject

https://centreforaviation.com/analys...nduring-345816

David_Doyle and LupineChemist like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
That it’s universal practice doesn’t, of course, mean there’s good reason for it.
Of course, but the debate is essentially identical to debates as to whether any kind of protectionist measure is a good thing or not and whether unilateral economic disarmament by offering others advantages that those others do not offer you is a good thing or not. In other words, it is a bit like the debate in the UK between ultra-liberal economists like Minford who argue that the UK should unilaterally abolish all tariffs and mainstream economists who take a more nuanced view, even when they consider that tariffs are generally a bad thing.

I was reacting to the wording of Kanderson1965's question, which seemed to be premised on it being some kind of strange, exceptionally restrictive EU practice whereas it is in fact standard practice the world over.
Oaxaca and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Of course, but the debate is essentially identical to debates as to whether any kind of protectionist measure is a good thing or not and whether unilateral economic disarmament by offering others advantages that those others do not offer you is a good thing or not. In other words, it is a bit like the debate in the UK between ultra-liberal economists like Minford who argue that the UK should unilaterally abolish all tariffs and mainstream economists who take a more nuanced view, even when they consider that tariffs are generally a bad thing.

I was reacting to the wording of Kanderson1965's question, which seemed to be premised on it being some kind of strange, exceptionally restrictive EU practice whereas it is in fact standard practice the world over.
I am aware that this not a wholly EU practice, however I feel the EU should rise above the protectionist attitudes elsewhere in the world, especially as a few European airlines could benefit from outside investment.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am aware that this not a wholly EU practice, however I feel the EU should rise above the protectionist attitudes elsewhere in the world, especially as a few European airlines could benefit from outside investment.
So, presumably, to be consistent, you would also argue that the UK, after a no-deal Brexit, should unilaterally abolish all tariffs on all imports and should also abolish all restrictions on access to economic activity by non-UK nationals?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:16 pm

So, presumably, to be consistent, you would also argue that the UK, after a no-deal Brexit, should unilaterally abolish all tariffs on all imports and should also abolish all restrictions on access to economic activity by non-UK nationals?
Indeed, in a free market there is no reason for tarifs. As long as someone is running their business within the law it should not matter where they are from.
Getting back on topic, I would not imagine the the UK would ban BA domestic services if it became minority UK owned.
dpfs likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

you mean like QR investing in IAG or DL has in Af-KLM and their possible investment in Al Italia? Or QR (again!) in Air Italy
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

you mean like QR investing in IAG or DL has in Af-KLM and their possible investment in Al Italia? Or QR (again!) in Air Italy
Exactly, however they may be able to achieve more if their investment was not limited. by statute; investment can only be good for customers.
dpfs likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Exactly, however they may be able to achieve more if their investment was not limited. by staute; investment can only be good for customers.
Except that very logically, what you propose would most precisely spell the end of any such investment. If EU domestic services were open to airlines without conditions of EU ownership, QR, EY, and DL would not invest more in IAG, AZ, or VS, they'd merely be flying their own QR, EY, and DL planes from LHR to DUB and from MAD to BCN. So whilst you can of course support the idea that one should fully open one's market without getting any reciprocity whatsoever (not something, I hasten to add, that the UK has ever been remotely in favour of), boosting investment is one of the least likely outcomes that this would produce.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 2, 2019 at 1:41 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:44 pm

Except that very logically, what you propose would most precisely spell the end of any such investment. If EU domestic services were open to airlines without conditions of EU ownership, QR, EY, and DL would not invest more in IAG, AZ, or VS, they'd merely be flying their own QR, EY, and DL planes from LHR to DUB and from MAD to BCN. So whilst you can of course support the idea that one should fully open one's market without getting any reciprocity whatsoever, boosting investment is one of the least likely outcomes that this would produce.
You could however ague that if they were regularly flying inter Europe flights, presumably using more suitable SH aircraft rather than LH aircraft from their own bases, they would have to establish bases in Europe. It may be more cost effective for them to invest a majority stake in a local airline and take their cut.

Last edited by kanderson1965; Feb 2, 2019 at 1:57 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It may be more cost effective for them to invest a majority stake in a locsl airline and take their cut.
Almost certainly not. They would indeed establish bases in various European airports, most definitely with single aisle planes (except of course where traffic density may ultimately justify), but much better for them to go for their own airlines, with their own lower paid staff, far more unfavourable work contracts and in many cases generous state subsidies. As we all know and often discuss, it costs QR, TK or MU a lot less to pay their staff than it does BA, AF, or LH, and they can work them much harder too.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 2, 2019 at 2:07 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There is a historical reason; air traffic rights are negotiated between sovereign states, initially for government-owned carriers, later for the carriers owned by their country's citizens.

If you look at the agreement between the UK and Russia, for instance, it is very restricted an only slightly changed since 1957 (to allow flights to/from Manchester). Only two government-nominated carriers from each country may operate flights, and only between specified airports, and only up to a specified volume of flights per week.

When more liberal air traffic agreements became the norm, there was a danger that, for instance, a person in country A can form a company in country B to operate air traffic between A and B, bypassing whatever restrictions were negotiated on country A by country B.

Therefore country B will usually insist that the traffic rights it grants to country A will flow only to companies well grounded in country A rather than only existing on paper in country A. That measure of well-groundedness is usually based on the citizenship of the natural persons who have ultimate ownership of the company.

Whether that amounts to a "good reason" is a deeper question.
Freddorick likes this.

Last edited by Calchas; Feb 2, 2019 at 2:37 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:19 pm

Almost certainly not. They would indeed establish bases in various European airports, most definitely with single aisle planes (except of course where traffic density may ultimately justify), but much better for them to go for their own airlines, with their own lower paid staff, far more unfavourable work contracts and in many cases generous state subsidies. As we all know and often discuss, it costs QR, TK or MU a lot less to pay their staff than it does BA, AF, or LH, and they can work them much harder too.
Fair enough, without access to detailed costings, I cannot reasonably argue against this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.