Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge changes at MIA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Lounge changes at MIA

Anyone who has travelled through Miami airport in recent months will be aware of the nip and tuck treatments applied to the D15 Admirals Club. It's sister lounge at Gate D30 will be closing very soon (possibly as early as the week) for renovation work of its own. Once D30 is complete, work will begin on the Concourse E Premium Lounge. Further down the line, and in the not too distant future BA will reveal its own lounge.

Well, the closure of the D30 lounge would normally be the recipe for major disruption, uncontrolled arm waving, and general grousing but AA has a nifty trick ups its sleeve - the Miami Flagship lounge is ready and is expected to open its doors tomorrow.

Reporter Emily McNutt has already been inside and you can read her extensive review here. If you happen to be in the vicinity of Gate D30 please pop into the new lounge and share your own experience in this thread.

Flagship lounge access
AA recently changed the access policy to these lounges which is worthy of a note as you may now be able to use these lounges if you were not able to before.

Access qualifications
  • Business and First class ticket holders travelling on an international or designated AA transcontinental flight (specifically the non-stop MIA-LAX flights). First class ticket holders may bring in a guest. Business class ticket holders cannot.
  • BA Executive Club Silver and Gold card holders travelling on any oneworld operated/marketed flight (plus one guest)
Flagship First Dining
  • Available to first class ticket holders (plus one guest) travelling to Asia, Australia, Europe, and South America. Flagship Dining Rooms offer a more salubrious (and unquestionably more tranquil) sit down service.
  • Also available to AA's transcontinental First Class passengers (no guests though)
  • Having a shiny card is not enough to gain entrance but Executive Club Gold and Silver card holders (plus one guest) may use the less formal buffet service available inside the Flagship Lounge

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 20, 2017 at 3:09 pm
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
My visit to the Premium Lounge in the summer was most disappointing. We ended up going for a wander around the airport. I did try the Admirals Club located near to Amex lounge which was much better. The Amex lounge itself was packed which made it equally unpleasant.

Have to say say an improvement in lounges at MIA will be welcome by many on here.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Have to say say an improvement in lounges at MIA will be welcome by many on here.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this.
We flew from Miami last week and thought the Lounge was of a very low standard.
The Ladies Loo was very run down, even a stainless steel tissue box holder was rusty.
I look forward to seeing the new boarding process in Miami,as I have never seen such a boarding shambles before.
Left hand lane was " for First, Club World, Gold, Bronze and Silver," queue snaked around the boarding area, all boarded together.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by madfish
My visit to the Premium Lounge in the summer was most disappointing. We ended up going for a wander around the airport. I did try the Admirals Club located near to Amex lounge which was much better. The Amex lounge itself was packed which made it equally unpleasant.

Have to say say an improvement in lounges at MIA will be welcome by many on here.
The Centurion Lounge is surprisingly small for such a major airport, and I include the Centurion side of the lounge!

The Admirals Club not far from the Centurion Lounge though, is quite nice.

There are plenty of different seating areas, and the staff were pretty friendly and helpful.

M
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:11 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The JFK Flagship Lounge is very pleasant and on the couple of times I've been there was surprisingly under-occupied. It would be great if MIA could get something similar.

As others have noted, the Centurion Lounge is basically unusable due to volume of people. D15 is currently not a bad example of an Admiral's Club (I was there 2 days ago), but I'm not sure what it would be like if it had double the amount of people.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The JFK Flagship Lounge is very pleasant and on the couple of times I've been there was surprisingly under-occupied. It would be great if MIA could get something similar.

As others have noted, the Centurion Lounge is basically unusable due to volume of people. D15 is currently not a bad example of an Admiral's Club (I was there 2 days ago), but I'm not sure what it would be like if it had double the amount of people.
The MIA flagship lounge opens tomorrow and the D30 AC is being closed for renovation. A bunch of the bloggers have pictures up already. Looks huge - 29,000 sq feet apparently, which is good because lots of people now have access
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Charlie26r and myself are visiting MIA tomorrow evening, we were planning to use Centurion, but will pop into the new flagship to see the madness (JFK flagship a couple of days ago was so packed I left and went to quietly meditate by gate 1).
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Perfect timing! Looking forward to trying the new lounge tomorrow night.

Last edited by FallOfTheWall; Nov 20, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I'll be there on Monday for a couple of hours prior to the flight to DOH. I look forward to seeing the improvements.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Looking forward to trying it out on New Year's Eve. Maybe they will still have Bollinger then!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:19 am

I will be trying to test the new flagship one tonight, let’s see.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I suppose more apt for the AA forum, but will they be combining the existing D30 lounge with the Flagship lounge?

I was there last week and could only see they were finishing up work on the entrance.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I suppose more apt for the AA forum, but will they be combining the existing D30 lounge with the Flagship lounge?

I was there last week and could only see they were finishing up work on the entrance.
No, they are renovating the D30 lounge. MIA FL is across from D30, though.

Once D30 is complete they will close and renovate the E Premium Lounge, which is much needed (although I imagine will be a little bit of a pain for other OW flyers flying out of E - they'll need to walk over to the D lounges)
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
In the lounge now and very impressed so far.

Very nice showers (could do with a door to the shower stall though) and an
impressive buffet with real food and not just gloop. Staff are very proactive and friendly as well.

Prospero and msm2000uk like this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
This place is enormous, with many separate zones-including a small auditorium / TV theatre; and a wide variety of decent food. (I keep on going back for the 'housemade' crisps.)

The staff are well-trained and very accommodating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.